Mod Design Poll (BioCircuitry Mod, WIP)

SomeoneInPart

Mar 31, 2016
I am a Health Sciences student at the University of Calgary (studying Bioinformatics), and have been given the opportunity to make a Minecraft mod which would simulate genetics semi-realistically. Specifically, this mod focuses on simulating a chromosome-based gene transfer model in worms, with gene cross over and sets of genes which interact with one another to form biological circuits capable of working for the player (IE a set of genes which would allow the worm to ingest cobblestone and excrete iron).

The goal of this project is to provide a more engaging and realistic way by which breeding mechanics can be modded into Minecraft. Specifically, I am trying to avoid the "breed until random mutation" system utilised by other mods such as Forestry's bees and Chickens, well, chickens, so the player can have some agency with creating their resource creating worms.

To this end, I would like to know what you all would want to see in the mod, so that it can be enjoyed regardless of ones interest in genetics. I'm hoping to make it so this mod is fun in its own right, and would simply expose some people to my field and let them explore it at their leisure if they are interested in whats being shown. So, if you have a few spare moments, I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions for me in the comments or in this poll;

1. What, in your opinion, is the main appeal of Minecraft (base game and/or modded)?

2. What would you like to see in BioCircuitry?

3. What would you not want to see in BioCircuitry?

4. What other Minecraft mods do you particularly enjoy? What about them is enjoyable?

5. Anything else you would like me to know?
TL: DR; If you really want or do not want to see something in a science mod about breeding worms to eat cobble and poop diamonds, let me know via comments or this poll.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or ask them below.

mjohnab

Jul 29, 2019
As a molecular biologist, I would love to see a mod like this! I don't have a lot of input at this point, but I think it would be interesting to work aneuploidy and polyploidy into the system. In your "convert cobblestone to iron" example, maybe a diploid worm does this at baseline speed/efficiency. An aneuploid worm might sacrifice speed for more efficiency and a polyploid might work quickly, but less efficient.
I know you wanted to avoid too much randomness, but maybe have a SNP system that results in "upgraded" genes (but never downgraded). That way, a rare mutation is always lucky, but not required to progress through the mod.
So much possibility! Good luck.