Mob Essence/Xp Farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Defiancey

Jul 29, 2019
I made a mob drop. Got a grinder at the bottom with a vacuum hopper and a tesseract, along with some ender io conduits. My question is the vacuum hopper will suck in xp, im assuming it will be liquid. Does the grinder actually cause the mobs to drop xp? I would like to find a way to get both essence and liquid xp. What are my options for the xp? I know of the killer joe from ender io, but im not too familiar with getting the fuel from it.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
When the Grinder kills a mob, it does not drop xp. Instead, the grinder creates a small amount of Mob essence.

As far as things that do make mobs drop xp: You, Extra utilities spikes(all but wood?), Killer joe, Thermal expansion Autonomous Activater or Thaumic tinkerer's Dynamism Tablet Holding a sword, a ComputerCraft Melee turtle, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Edit: Just figured i'd point out that all the things I listed but you will also kill you if you get in their way.

Defiancey

Jul 29, 2019
Im assuming this is just a bug with waila?
C6vNW4t.png

OJIweZJ.png

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
if i were you i'd make a TiCo XP farm, get the mob essence in an open blocks tank, and use a shower to put it through a sewer, which converts it to mob essence. I do it like that all the time, and its really good even if its just a 5 by five of the stuff, faster too.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Liquid XP and Mob Essence are connected through the Ore Dictionary. I use grinders on a Cursed Earth farm and a MFR Unifier to change it to Liquid XP before I feed it to my EnderIO Obelisk for enchanting storage.

A friend does this in reverse, using Essence Oreberries in an Autonomous Activator being picked up by a vacuum hopper. This creates Liquid XP that he feeds through a Unifier on demand when he needs Mob Essence.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
if i were you i'd make a TiCo XP farm, get the mob essence in an open blocks tank, and use a shower to put it through a sewer, which converts it to mob essence. I do it like that all the time, and its really good even if its just a 5 by five of the stuff, faster too.
I personally prefer building both setups and not converting any of it. Gives me double the stuff to automate and build structures for :p But I am weird that way that I go out of my way to create more work(and fun!) for myself :p

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I personally prefer building both setups and not converting any of it. Gives me double the stuff to automate and build structures for :p But I am weird that way that I go out of my way to create more work(and fun!) for myself :p

Yeah I can get behind that sentiment because its the blend of form and function that makes building a modded base fun, at least for me. But on the other hand, I actually like the feeling of standing in my workshop, manually cooking this and pulverizing that-sometimes running to other rooms to make some specialized materials. So I automate sparingly to make things a bit easier, so that I dont have to work too hard but still have things to do other than manage the constant influx of items and to make things look more "fancy" with things like transparent pipes and moving parts.

One of my favorite systems is the requesting of ore via an AE terminal hooked up to a magical crops farm manned by golems and lamps of growth with the ore being sent to a mekanism processing facility. It makes me want to stop what I am doing to watch. But its extremely overpowered and I end up with ridiculous amounts of ore too quickly and I need to modtweak harder recipes which I am too lazy to do right now, which is why I didnt do the build in my last world and instead plopped down a Mekanism digital miner out in the world somewhere whenever I needed ore.

So the point I am getting at is that most of the time full-on automation ruins the game for me because its unbalanced as heck. It would be nice if there was an actual need for it because the need for stuff is the entire motivation for playing, really.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah I can get behind that sentiment because its the blend of form and function that makes building a modded base fun, at least for me. But on the other hand, I actually like the feeling of standing in my workshop, manually cooking this and pulverizing that-sometimes running to other rooms to make some specialized materials. So I automate sparingly to make things a bit easier, so that I dont have to work too hard but still have things to do other than manage the constant influx of items and to make things look more "fancy" with things like transparent pipes and moving parts.
I am quite the opposite. I don't have crafting tables in my base. I have ME Pattern encoders and ME terminals everywhere. If I need something new(even just one!) I make a new pattern for it lol. And if part of that requires a machine, then I go set that up :p

Got 19 pages of patterns in my MAC so far(AE1), but automate pretty much anything(like commonly used microblocks).

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I am quite the opposite. I don't have crafting tables in my base. I have ME Pattern encoders and ME terminals everywhere. If I need something new(even just one!) I make a new pattern for it lol. And if part of that requires a machine, then I go set that up :p

Oh I dont use crafting tables, I wouldnt even want to play minecraft anymore if AE crafting terminals werent a thing. Having all of your items linked together combined with the NEI functionality makes crafting of everything but the most complex recipes easy as can be so theres no need to make patterns for every single thing. I "teach my system" how to make complicated stuff like certain high end AE components and Simply jetpacks because that mod's recipes are freaking insane. Also I loved using Thaumic Energistics to keep my essentia jars full even though I could have used it to completely negate the need for jars altogether and make everything more streamlined and efficient.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Oh I dont use crafting tables, I wouldnt even want to play minecraft anymore if AE crafting terminals werent a thing. Having all of your items linked together combined with the NEI functionality makes crafting of everything but the most complex recipes easy as can be so theres no need to make patterns for every single thing.
Yeah I know, it is kinda stupid. But I think it is partly the satisfaction of knowing that in the future if I ever need that item or another item needs it as a part, then it is already in there. And it is sort of a little personal milestone achievement every time I need to expand the MAC :p. And with AE1 at least it takes absolutely no time to make the patterns(Shift click in from NEI, drop patterns in Terminal(Fuzzy bus deposits them in MAC)). So basically just as easy/easier than bothering with the crafting terminal :p

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah AE2's channel system makes it so creating patterns for every single thing is not quite as easy as before. I love your intricate builds but I just never feel motivated to go to those lengths. I just think there needs to be recipes that require like, a million logs or a max sized railcraft tank full of liquid. Because automation makes it so easy to get that much of something and theres no use for it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah AE2's channel system makes it so creating patterns for every single thing is not quite as easy as before. I love your intricate builds but I just never feel motivated to go to those lengths. I just think there needs to be recipes that require like, a million logs or a max sized railcraft tank full of liquid. Because automation makes it so easy to get that much of something and theres no use for it.
Yeah. Resources are way too easy to come by if you do not limit your self and the pack is balanced. And even then in the end you will have plenty resources with enough ingenuity and automation. I try and not make it the goal of my game, but just make it something that unlocks other things. So when resources are not the goal I don't go for the most OP solutions and I actually stop acquiring them when I have enough.

Reactions: epidemia78