Mob Deterrants

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Feyriin

Jul 29, 2019
So I used to play tekkit, and I got really used to EE2's interdiction torches.

I know EE2 is a thing of the past, but within the various FTB packs, any ideas on what to use to keep mobs away other than just vanilla methods of keeping things well lit?

I tried portal turrets, but with default config those shoot me, too, so not really ideal.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
You're going to want pistons to obscure their vision when you want them not to shoot. Or you could do MFFS stuff if you've got the resources.

vScourge

Jul 29, 2019
Take a look at Luminators from IC2. I used those in Tekkit. Require some EU to work but were pretty reliable. Probably best when you have choke points like streets, etc. Likely not so good for policing a sweeping border, etc.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Only options out there really involve having something attack the mobs.

Portal Turrets (as you've tried)
Shooter Carts using Steves Carts
Some complex system using Turtles and Mining Lasers
Tesla Coils
MFFS system
Trapping a villager inside a fence would keep zombies attention all night

Don't know if TC3 offers anything in this area

But there is nothing that actually repels mobs from the area without hurting them.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Aerial Faith Plates.

Set the vertical power to 5.

Put an obisian pipe and chest at the landing spot.

???

Profit!

Feyriin

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried...

...a door?

Oh I have plenty of doors. But doors don't keep creepers and skeletons off the streets of my villages.

Like I said, was just wanting to know if there was a way around it without resorting to vanilla tactics, but ah well. Streelights with luminators I think is the key.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
If you're willing to mess about with Factorization, you could also try Wrath Lamping the village. Of course this wreaks havoc with any Forestry-type farm - what happens is that the lamp will produce 'light blocks' that the harvesters see, but can't break. Still, it's certainly one of the fastest ways to light up the village.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
If you're willing to mess about with Factorization, you could also try Wrath Lamping the village. Of course this wreaks havoc with any Forestry-type farm - what happens is that the lamp will produce 'light blocks' that the harvesters see, but can't break. Still, it's certainly one of the fastest ways to light up the village.
^^^^
What he said.

I derped and thought you were trying to protect your base.

If you want to keep things from spawning, the only way is well-lit in FTB currently.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
XYcraft blocks will not allow any mobs to spawn on top of them. Using them for flooring might be a possibility.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Cats. Cats everywhere.

No really. Creepers flee from tamed cats - look it up on the Minecraft wiki. They work like interdiction torches. For creepers only, but hey, it's a start :p

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Xycraft blocks and I believe half-slabs and glass should work. You can also use nitor as a floating lightsource if you wanna have a more magic-y feel, and RP2 has some steampunkish inverted lamps (on when no redstone) that have cages around em.

You could do that or be like me and trap all of the villagers in their own little box-of-no-escape so they can't get outside ever. Then, if you're really malicious and have a lot of it nearby, cover the street with quicksand one block deep with a block of air beneath it - this will trap and suffocate anything but spiders, and you can use a wooden golem to gather any drops.

Something else to note, mobs will spawn on top of quicksand as if it were a solid block, so it can be used as a spawning platform for zombies in a mob spawner and watch as they fall through it to the kill zone.

Catarooni

Jul 29, 2019
Fizzlers from Portal Gun mod. I think they're actually called like..."Material Emancipation Grids". You can set them to kill non-player entities that walk through them instantly.