MJ Transportation, No Tesseracts

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/steam-limitations-in-liquiducts.16101/

The second post in that thread said something interesting regarding liquiduct limits. There does seem to be an upper limit, but it's (apparently) at 52 steam engines worth (something like 2k mB/t). Though this may be quite a high number, it is still a limit to be aware of. A 36HP boiler is already 720 steam/t, so according to this information you will surpass the max of a liquiduct at 3 boilers.

I see that this was posted back in march. I believe King Lemming had posted something recently in the last couple months that stated that liquiducts and conduits were now infinite/lossless. I think it had something to do with the way he was stream-lining his code and removing the per conduit/liquiduct calculation as it was causing lag in large setups and his #1 goal for his mod was reducing lag. I think it now only checks that there is a pipe connection with the right liquid in it, and he does all his calculations on the connections to the machines instead of in the pipe.

Edit: I could be entirely wrong though...

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, well I just remembering reading various posts related to this. I am also running 1.4.7, so this is of significant importance to me as well. I am not sure how old the 1.4.7 update is, but it is better to plan ahead.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
The impact of chunkloading a 500x500 grid would be equal to a bit over 9 players existing in the world (and having no other chunkloading devices). A server that can handle that many additional users should simply use chunkloaders for this (and probably stop reading right here). The potential problem in employing liquids or contiguous networks is that these power transport networks may themselves load and unload chunks frequently as fluid/power is moved across unloaded boundaries. The way to alleviate that is to keep the main power generation loaded and dividing up power distribution in a manner that doesn't cross boundaries and will stay unloaded or unavailable when a player is not active.

There are a number of ways to accomplish this, the trick is picking one that won't act the same as if it were all connected with one cable/pipe/conduit. One such implementation might use a liquid tesseract to refill a local fuel tank and a chickenchunks chunkloader. The local generators, chunk loader and tesseract could all be connected to the same lever that would simultaneously turn on or off local power generation, fuel replenishment and chunkloading. For a 480x480 setup, one would need 9 such stations carefully placed to maximize chunkloading. Alternatively, one could split an area into discrete chunks and set up 900 such stations, one per chunk.

The general idea being that while the tesseract was on, the chunkloader would be too. When the chunkloader is turned off, so is the tesseract, preventing crossborder chunkloading by fluids or power network weirdness.

Other mod supplied blocks can work in this solution as well for other power transport options. Gregtech has the IDSU for direct power transfer as well as a tesseract generator/remote access block pairing for transfering items/liquids. Enderstorage has ender tanks and ender chests. Applied Energistics has Quantum Rings.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
Using liquiducts isn't an option because it has the same problem the conduits would have, so that's out.

Using steam is, like a few people have mentioned before this, has a horrible volume/energy ratio, same as lava. So that's out too.

Force engines arn't reliable beacause of the resources to power it arn't entirely renewable.

Using fuel/biofuel is feasible, however because the next statment, it isn't the best.

Using EU carts to electric engines is the best for this problem because the main objective is to suplply the city with power. I always planned on using EU carts for EU transfer but found it irrelevant to the problem with MJ power problem I was having. If I only need one track to transfer BOTH EU and potential MJ that would be best.

As for the multiple power stations, more stations, more problems. Keep It Simple Stupid.

What I'm planing on creating is small stations of 9 RECs, 9 MSFUs, 8 electrical engines (cuircut board boosted), 8MFSU buffers for those engines, and energy Unloaders.

Each part of the city will be connected to a different station to support multiple dwellings/shops. These dwellings may have their own storage if wished, but that's their choice. Larger items such as the factories and farmland will either have their own power production (farm will run off of seed oil, for coolness) or be placed near the Power Plant (last counted 18 36HP Boilers) for conduit connections.[DOUBLEPOST=1378923964][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh! And I'm using 1.5.2 Unleashed, should have said that. Working on getting the server upgraded with GT installed.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The impact of chunkloading a 500x500 grid would be equal to a bit over 9 players existing in the world (and having no other chunkloading devices).
You're off. A player loads a 21x21 chunk grid at all times when online. A 500x500 only calls for 31.25x31.25 chunk grid. So 1.5 or so people online at all times.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
You're off. A player loads a 21x21 chunk grid at all times when online. A 500x500 only calls for 31.25x31.25 chunk grid. So 1.5 or so people online at all times.

my bad, confused 10 chunk radius with total horizontal. If I was correct in thinking the max size of a default chunkloader is equal to a player then I'd suppose one would only need 4 stations to fully encompass the 500x500 area.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
You don't have to keep entire square loaded. Railcraft loaders allow chunkloading in 1x9 chunk stripes. Perfect for pipe, cable and rail network.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You don't have to keep entire square loaded. Railcraft loaders allow chunkloading in 1x9 chunk stripes. Perfect for pipe, cable and rail network.

Railcraft you say? I tend to disagree. Regardless 4 chicken chunk loaders set to near-max would be the easiest; even if less efficient.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
If the server cannot handle loading 1.5 people then how does it even manage to handle running an ftb server?

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
If the server cannot handle loading 1.5 people then how does it even manage to handle running an ftb server?
For a FTB server, the number of people is not as important as the number of machines running in loaded chunks.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
For a FTB server, the number of people is not as important as the number of machines running in loaded chunks.

Right so if the server runs at 5 tps with 1.5 people's worth of machines... I'll ask again; why bother being on the server?

Oh and for what it's worth chicken chunkloaders have a "line" mode as well. It goes farther too.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
A grid of fiendish bee in regular alvearies producing simmering combs. Send the simmering combs via rail to wherever is needed. Centrifuge the combs for phosphor. Squeeze phosphor with cobble for lava. Voila. Have tiny grids of magmatic engines dispersed throughout your city and you wont need conduits running everywhere.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
A grid of fiendish bee in regular alvearies producing simmering combs. Send the simmering combs via rail to wherever is needed. Centrifuge the combs for phosphor. Squeeze phosphor with cobble for lava. Voila. Have tiny grids of magmatic engines dispersed throughout your city and you wont need conduits running everywhere.

I was going to point this out earlier, but the OP specifically said no lava. Otherwise it's perfect. I did the math on it, and a fiendish bee in an alveary can feed 9 magmatic engines continuously if you use sand instead of cobble. they can feed more engines if you up the productivity from normal to fast. You could also boost it by storing some power in RECs, and run more engines when at peak demand, since the magmatics do have an "idle" mode where they automatically throttle to a low output state when not needed. If you connected the engines with pipes and used the "needs power" gate conditional to turn the engines on, you could store the surplus lava and output as needed with larger burst power.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
I was going to point this out earlier, but the OP specifically said no lava. Otherwise it's perfect. I did the math on it, and a fiendish bee in an alveary can feed 9 magmatic engines continuously if you use sand instead of cobble. they can feed more engines if you up the productivity from normal to fast. You could also boost it by storing some power in RECs, and run more engines when at peak demand, since the magmatics do have an "idle" mode where they automatically throttle to a low output state when not needed. If you connected the engines with pipes and used the "needs power" gate conditional to turn the engines on, you could store the surplus lava and output as needed with larger burst power.

I assumed that the OP meant no lava from lava pools....but I guess if that's the restriction he's going for (i.e., no lava period), that's his prerogative.

Another alternative that the OP could use is to scrap MJ transportation. Instead, on the roof of every house, build a solar MJ farm using mirrors + boilers. And connect the entire base to the same main conduit network. So even though if it's unloaded when you reach to another part of the base, that part of the base would have multiple MJ farms *as roofs) that will start charging the RECs that they are connected to within that section of the base.