MJ to EU

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft steam boiler -> steam turbine -> EU

56.25% more EU per MJ than magma crucibles running on cobblestone, but more expensive to set up.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
It's mostly the initial setup that's costly. One rotor will last you for 432 million EU, making every piece of steel spent on it worth as much, if not more, than uranium. A very fair trade if you ask me.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
as mentioned the easy way is lava and geothermals, and the expensive way is steam and a steam turbine.
there's also the option of using biomass/fuel in a biogenerator, but in my opinion requires more work then lava and geothermals.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
You guys are getting kinda confused.

Boilers turn Fuel+Water into STEAM, which is a very efficient method of generating Eu AND MJ
They do not convert MJ into EU or vice versa.​
(unless the mod author adds an electrical boiler heater)​

MJ->Eu is best done by a magma crucible+geothermal generator. It's 1MJ to 1Eu
(or if you play mindcrack 1MJ to 1.5Eu)​
Eu->MJ is what the electrical engine does, at 3Eu->1MJ.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
You see that "steam turbine" between the steam boiler and the EU? Railcraft Wiki has all the details.
You see that "steam boiler" before the steam turbine? It runs on fuel according to the Railcraft Wiki. You know, charcoal, coal coake, blaze rods, etc. It does not however, run on MJ.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the presumption was that OP had a way to get MJ quickly, and we were suggesting ways to turn that MJ production into EU production.
If OP has a chest somewhere full of redstone cells, on the other hand, then magma crucible->geothermal would be the way to go, sure.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
You see that "steam boiler" before the steam turbine? It runs on fuel according to the Railcraft Wiki. You know, charcoal, coal coake, blaze rods, etc. It does not however, run on MJ.
OK, derp on my part. Just go with my first post with the magma crucible :)

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
So it's possible to reach 640 with extra steam for a few more engines.
Can we hit 320 or 640 exactly?
Not with a single tank. There's multiple combinations with multiple tanks, but that's just a waste of resources unless you're really just that OCD.

ilja

Jul 29, 2019
if the modpack has gregtech, also note that Thermal Generators are quite a bit more effective than geothermal (+50% efficiency, +20% output speed).

urmamasllama

Jul 29, 2019
my current setup is steam boiler > industrial steam engines > conduit > magma crucibles with netherack > thermal generators (gregtech geo)