Missing luggages

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
Recently, my friends and I have had issues with luggages going MIA in the infinity 1.2 modpack. I'm familiar with the mechanic that if you leave behind a luggage to quickly, it will not teleport to you until it is chunk loaded again. But I had one of my friends lose two luggages in a ~300 block radius, and re-tracing steps over the area is not revealing them. The other two occurences of luggages going MIA occured on larger exploration scales and it is possible that it will be hard to track down exactly where they dissappeared. In all three cases, water travel was involved, so I'm wondering if something in the water can possibly cause them to lose their ability to teleport or something?

TL: DR
Does anyone have an idea of a way to track down whether or not luggages actually are in a ~300 block radius for the first case? (To find out whether they are flat out dissappearing, or if they are just not teleporting).

Also, does anyone have an idea of what's going on here? My friends and I have never completely lost a luggage in mob form before in a year of playing monster.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Luggage is a mysterious thing, they come and go as they please.
They will return when they are ready, lol.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Entities in Minecraft have always been kinda weird. Who didn't yet experience expensive Steve's Carts disappearing? Or animals mysteriously leaving pens?

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I mean I've seen luggages dissappear before, or go invisible to certain players, but they always eventually show up if exploring and re-logging. And while invisible they normally stil eat stuff. Like I said before, I can't be sure about the second two cases because they were lost on a larger scale, but I feel like in a 300 block radius it should be relatively easy to have the chunk load and have them teleport back.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
was there perhaps some sort of portal along the way? a nether portal, end portal or twilight forest portal?
maybe the luggage walked into one of those and is now in another dimension

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
That's another thing I'm familiar with as well, but if they fell into such a thing it wasn't man made, it was a mystcraft world without star fissures.