Missing Geometry

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
First of all, I wasn't sure what section this should belong in, so I put it in the section that I think best fits it. If it is in the wrong section, please move it.
My Minecraft (Feed the beast direwolf20 1.6) does this in Single player, not tested in servers:
UqJHH6k.png

mLgxJUO.png
(my character normally has glasses)

RYZi9Mu.png

I usually end up getting 15-30% ram usage with 7GB allocated. My graphics card is GeForce GTX 770 (GK104) and I am sure the drivers are installed correctly (I already looked around extensively for this, also this does not happen with other modpacks/vanilla). My OS is Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 64-bit, kernel 3.11.0-12-generic. I am running Java 8 64-bit (Oracle not OpenJDK), but the issue also occurs with version 7 (also Oracle).

Any ideas what causes it?

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
Other than uninstalling Optifine? You can't.
What can I do to get a decent FPS + reasonable render distance then?
You say that your game is unplayable without it, yet you are using Far Render Distance...
Without it, I get 5-15 fps (even on tiny). With it, I can easily get 60 (I've even hit 150). I know it's odd, but it just shows that without Optifine that Minecraft is fairly inefficient.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What can I do to get a decent FPS + reasonable render distance then?

Without it, I get 5-15 fps (even on tiny). With it, I can easily get 60 (I've even hit 150). I know it's odd, but it just shows that without Optifine that Minecraft is fairly inefficient.

JVM arguments may help (@Qazplm601 has some he hands out around here). And making sure you're running an up to date 64-bit install of Java helps.

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
JVM arguments may help (@Qazplm601 has some he hands out around here). And making sure you're running an up to date 64-bit install of Java helps.
Would I run the launcher with those arguments, or put them somewhere in the launcher so the Minecraft process can run with the arguments? Would some server arguments do good (made for vanilla Minecraft (Spigot)), if not could you recommend some good client arguments? I've got a Linux package to install my Java, so I'm pretty much always running the latest stable Java 8 64-bit.

His JVM args are outdated.
Who has some better ones?

Reactions: Elec332

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Would I run the launcher with those arguments, or put them somewhere in the launcher so the Minecraft process can run with the arguments? Would some server arguments do good (made for vanilla Minecraft (Spigot)), if not could you recommend some good client arguments? I've got a Linux package to install my Java, so I'm pretty much always running the latest stable Java 8 64-bit.

@SatanicSanta, do you know if the modpacks run without issue on Java 8? I've heard mixed results.

You would put the arguments into the launcher, which would then change how Java runs MC. If done correctly, it'll give better performance. Sadly, I know nothing about the arguments and don't know anyone who has up to date ones.

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
@SatanicSanta, do you know if the modpacks run without issue on Java 8? I've heard mixed results.

You would put the arguments into the launcher, which would then change how Java runs MC. If done correctly, it'll give better performance. Sadly, I know nothing about the arguments and don't know anyone who has up to date ones.
Ok, I will try with these arguments made for a Spigot server:
Code:
XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=256M -DJINTEGRA_NATIVE_MODE -DJINTEGRA_COINIT_VALUE=0 -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=42 -XX:CompileThreshold=1500 -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=15 -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xverify:none -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -Xrs -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+AggressiveOpts

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
It's not that they arne't good, it's just that half of them don't do anything anymore.
I don't run FTB packs. But I do know that after some tweaking I got my test pack to run like a charm using J8, unfortunately OSX sucks and uninstalled it after the first restart. It should work fine, but Java 8 still isn't recommended, so it isn't recommended.

Personally, I write my own JVM arguments.

Here are the JVM arguments I use for all of java:
Code:
-XX:-DisableExplicitGC -XX:-RelaxAccessControlCheck -XX:MaxPermSize=128M -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=30 -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -Xmn=2000M -Xmx=2000M
I use Java 7 update 60.

For a large pack I play I use:
Code:
-XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -Xnoclassgc

For my test pack I use:
Code:
-Xms512M -Xmx2048M -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
you DARE?
Yes, because they are, and I've told you this in one of our convos.

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
It's not that they arne't good, it's just that half of them don't do anything anymore.

I don't run FTB packs. But I do know that after some tweaking I got my test pack to run like a charm using J8, unfortunately OSX sucks and uninstalled it after the first restart. It should work fine, but Java 8 still isn't recommended, so it isn't recommended.

Personally, I write my own JVM arguments.

Here are the JVM arguments I use for all of java:
Code:
-XX:-DisableExplicitGC -XX:-RelaxAccessControlCheck -XX:MaxPermSize=128M -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=30 -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -Xmn=2000M -Xmx=2000M
I use Java 7 update 60.

For a large pack I play I use:
Code:
-XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -Xnoclassgc

For my test pack I use:
Code:
-Xms512M -Xmx2048M -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Yes, because they are, and I've told you this in one of our convos.
I tried it with the arguments I posted here, I get about 70 FPS which is a HUGE improvement from the 5-15 without optifine. I'll try your "big pack" ones too :), with Java 7.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I tried it with the arguments I posted here, I get about 70 FPS which is a HUGE improvement from the 5-15 without optifine. I'll try your "big pack" ones too :), with Java 7.
Honestly, I recommend the test pack ones over the "big pack" ones. I get better performance in my test pack, although it has about half the mods.

Just try 'em all ;)