Minor Issue with FTBUnleashed and BC pumps

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DepOpt

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly what it says on the tin. The problem is with the way water creates new source blocks in 1.5. As many of us know, 2 water blocks with a gap between makes a third water block. However, in 1.5 there doesn't have to be a solid block under the new source block, it can be another water source block. This means when trying to pump oil out from a sea oil geyser, once it has collected all the oil from the surface, instead of continuing down it starts sucking up water that will never run out.

Before, it would slowly make a hole in the ocean, ugly and scoops up a lot of water, but that would pass once it reached the seafloor. Now, it will never drain the surrounding water, and just stays there. I have found that something as simple as surrounding the oil 'shaft' with solid blocks stops this, and breaking/replacing the pump stops it trying to out drink a never ending sea.

Minor thing, but thought people should know.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
Huh, you bring up a really good point. It looks like the surrounding it solution like you said is the best. I'll keep thinking about this.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
I've found the Factorization Wand of Cooling useful in setting up the containment ring in these instances. Of course, in a really deep ocean it's a bit more complicated, but I have a habit of complicating simple things. =)

DepOpt

Jul 29, 2019
I will admit it confused the hell out of me for a while. Here was me thinking I had found an amazing spot to set up, with an easily accessible small/medium geyser, and an impressive one further out to sea, only to find that as soon as the pipe hit surface level the flow of oil cut off, and eventually the pump gave up pumping. As I said, had to break/replace the pump to get it working once I figured out the fix.

Btw, IC2 scaffolding is very useful for blocking off the water. It is very easy to make tall structures fast, and you can see when it borders oil by the colour of the flow on the side, something that can be difficult underwater as you cannot tell oil from water when you are in either liquid.

Reactions: arrgh1

Kahless61

Jul 29, 2019
Another useful tip, assuming the geyser isn't wider than 1x1 (as is typical) and assuming the oil 'cave' or whatever is below the sea (and not within the sea, as is again typical), you can just start dropping sand/gravel from the 4 sides of your pump.