Mining turtle depositing items.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Redmicrowave

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been playing around with a mining turtle as alternate to quarry's, and was wondering if there is an easy way to get him to deposit all his items into a chest when his inventory is full.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been playing around with a mining turtle as alternate to quarry's, and was wondering if there is an easy way to get him to deposit all his items into a chest when his inventory is full.
Code:
For i = 16,1,-1 do
turtle.select(i)
turtle.drop()
end
goes from slot 16 to 1 and places the items in the slot into a chest in front of it.

All you need is an if statement to check the 16th slot and see if it has an item.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Place down a chest (diamond recommended), and place the turtle in front of it. It is that simple. When it's inventory becomes full it will dump all of it's items into the chest. Also, I am not recommending using a turtle as a BuildCraft Quarry. ComputerCraft is a very glitchy mod, and the turtles when excavating like to freeze. Make a Quarry as soon as possible. Another note, make sure to use refuel all, do not just place in some coal, it will eat one and the rest will just exist and get dumped into a chest. If you so desire to use CC instead of BC go ahead, but it is not recommended.

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
Really? I find my mining turtle to be much more effective than my quarry...to the point that my quarry machine never see daylight.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
They stop if they move into an unloaded chunk (or if you move AWAY from their loaded chunk, causing it to unload), but otherwise I've found them perfectly reliable. Slow but steady.

Well, until I turned on OpenGL and Minecraft started crashing, causing it to revert my wireless crafty turtle to a regular, unfueled turtle without a label... But that also started nuking files in my mods directory at random, so I can hardly blame ComputerCraft. ;)

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Really? I find my mining turtle to be much more effective than my quarry...to the point that my quarry machine never see daylight.
A turtle is about 6 times slower than a quarry with default settings/scripts. So no, not even close in terms of speed. However mobility is much higher and you can place 4 turtles down on each side of an ender chest and gor 4x faster. Still slower than a quarry and it becomes about the same mobility. Quarry still wins.

Then you get a real quarry script (not the shitty excavate default one) http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7675-advanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/
And with that turtles are a good deal better than Quarries, faster, dont produce huge ugly holes in your world, and its beautiful. I probably wont have a quarry in my next world except for making deep holes with little effort for power lines.

Here is how I set my turtles up.
C87bjCA.jpg

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno the name of the one my friend gave me but it branch mines, lays torches and fights. Refuels itself and drops at ender chest.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Use the link, its lightyears ahead of that one. Your friend would probably like it as well. Branchmining is ok for us 2 block tall players. Turtles can do it differantly and much much faster than branch-mining.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
First link in OP of that post? Mine does three tall btw -.-
I was talking about player height vs turtle height. Not what your turtle is mining at. Turtles can more efficiently mine, much better than a player. Branch mining is good for PLAYERS, but turtles can mine much faster with better 1 block height methods every 3rd layer. Makes them 3x as fast as normal excavate.
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7675-advanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/

Xatros

Jul 29, 2019
an easier way than having the turtle go all the way back to a chest to deposit the items is to have each turtle carry it's own ender chest. That way you can program the turtle to go as far away as it wants within loaded chunks and it won't have to keep wasting fuel returning.

Code:
if turtle.getItemCount(16) ~= 0 then
 turtle.dig()
 turtle.select(1)
 turtle.place()
 for i = 2,16 do
   turtle.select(i)
   turtle.drop()
 end
 turtle.select(1)
 turtle.dig()
end
will place an ender chest (which you would put in slot 1 of the turtle's inventory) in front of the turtle (breaking the block in front of it if there is one), place all of the turtle's inventory into the chest, then pick it up again. It will only do this if the turtle has an item in slot 16 (which usually means a full inventory)

Reactions: Bigglesworth

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Hm... Right now my Quarry isn't running (no sorting system yet), but when I set it up it was so fast. I was running it on 6 Magmatic Engines and it was the fastest shit ever. I find Quarries a bajillion times better. Turtles are better early game miners, and GREAT for branch mining. Quarrying, not so much. (IMO)

Edit: Also, Quarries chunk load now. xD

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Santa, quarries run at a max 5 (6~ now?) blocks per second, no matter what you plug into them, we are all considering its top speed when I reffer to the fast turtle script. It takes 3 turtles to be faster than a quarry, without having to set up 6 mag engines or a tess. 4 turtles in ones spot are still much easier to setup and go roughly 33% faster with the script I linked to. If you just use the normal excavate yeah, it will be excruciatingly slow. The beauty of the turtles is that you can program them or use other peoples programs to really bring out their potential like that.

Certainly people are free to choose what they like, but math and observation by me of both methods says that 2 turtles is faster than 1 quarry, and is vastly easier to get running esp early in game. If you are still using turtles to do basic things like branch mine, you have no idea my good sir!

Edit: Turtles can also be mobile chunk loaders. XD (updated info)

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Santa, quarries run at a max 5 (6~ now?) blocks per second, no matter what you plug into them, we are all considering its top speed when I reffer to the fast turtle script. It takes 3 turtles to be faster than a quarry, without having to set up 6 mag engines or a tess. 4 turtles in ones spot are still much easier to setup and go roughly 33% faster with the script I linked to. If you just use the normal excavate yeah, it will be excruciatingly slow. The beauty of the turtles is that you can program them or use other peoples programs to really bring out their potential like that.

Certainly people are free to choose what they like, but math and observation by me of both methods says that 2 turtles is faster than 1 quarry, and is vastly easier to get running esp early in game. If you are still using turtles to do basic things like branch mine, you have no idea my good sir!

Edit: Turtles can also be mobile chunk loaders. XD (updated info)
I totally agree, turtles are awesome early game mine machines. I know next to nothing about CC. All I know is that I hate the excavate command.

/endargument

Pharaoh

Jul 29, 2019
I remember last year when i was playing with my son, i came across a wireless mining turtle on pastebin.
The function of the turtle allowed us to set the length, the width, and the depth and when it was full it returned to the chest and deposited and resumed where it left off.
I can't for the life of me remember the pastebin code. I know it's out there. But with all the ridiculous codes, and half of them don't even work properly.
Can anyone help me please?

DZieger

Jul 29, 2019
Does the script you linked work on normal mining turtles, and does it require ender chests?

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Does the script you linked work on normal mining turtles, and does it require ender chests?
This topic is several years old, so its content is highly likely not up to date. Some of the participants might not even be around any longer...

If you are looking for a mining turtle script, then I suggest this one:
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7675-advanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/
It is very efficient and have been updated over the years to even be able to continue (most of the time) after server restarts/chunk reloads.

And no the Ender Chest is not a requirement, it is merely being used as a means as transporting the items back to base. You will however often need several large chests for the contents depending on size(and depending if you filter out blocks in the script I linked), so some kind of sorting system is recommended. If you don't want to move it every time you move the turtle, then an Ender Chest is recommended.

DZieger

Jul 29, 2019
This topic is several years old, so its content is highly likely not up to date. Some of the participants might not even be around any longer...

If you are looking for a mining turtle script, then I suggest this one:
It is very efficient and have been updated over the years to even be able to continue (most of the time) after server restarts/chunk reloads.

And no the Ender Chest is not a requirement, it is merely being used as a means as transporting the items back to base. You will however often need several large chests for the contents depending on size(and depending if you filter out blocks in the script I linked), so some kind of sorting system is recommended. If you don't want to move it every time you move the turtle, then an Ender Chest is recommended.
Sorry Didnt notice, and thanks for the answer

mightymike

Jul 29, 2019
an easier way than having the turtle go all the way back to a chest to deposit the items is to have each turtle carry it's own ender chest. That way you can program the turtle to go as far away as it wants within loaded chunks and it won't have to keep wasting fuel returning.

Code:
if turtle.getItemCount(16) ~= 0 then
turtle.dig()
turtle.select(1)
turtle.place()
for i = 2,16 do
   turtle.select(i)
   turtle.drop()
end
turtle.select(1)
turtle.dig()
end
will place an ender chest (which you would put in slot 1 of the turtle's inventory) in front of the turtle (breaking the block in front of it if there is one), place all of the turtle's inventory into the chest, then pick it up again. It will only do this if the turtle has an item in slot 16 (which usually means a full inventory)

I tried to put that code as a function within my branch program but it wont place the chest, and instead of coming back when full, it begins popping out the item it just dug out.... And i have 0 experience with coding( i just copied a branch program from some dude on youtube... S i did as i tought but i failed...can you help me?