Mining the twilight forest

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
So I've managed to pinpoint a few very nice and very large hollow hills in the twilight forest. I want the stuff in them. However, I also know that the quarry and chunk loaders and ender chests and tesseracts and all that...well, I saw some complaints of chunk resets, lost quarries, etc..

So, in unleashed 1.1.3, is there an agreed upon configuration that has minimal risk of resets? I was thinking to use some mining turtles (maybe chunk-loader mining turtles) and either an ender chest (if that's safe) or just some sort of setup with tesseracts. But are chunk loading turtles okay with a tesseract? Should I instead use an ender chest? Or non-chunk-loader turtles and just a chicken-chunks-loader?

If anyone has had success (or disaster) I'd like to hear what version you were using and what kind if setup worked (or didn't work) for you. Thanks in advance!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm a bit scared of the TF tbh. Lots of nasty things have happened to me before. Is it really worth it? Make a flat desert mystcraft world and set up some quarries. Sure the concentration of goodies isn't as good, but its a lot easier to set up and manage.

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was thinking about that too - I've got the MPS tool thing that places those blue torch guys for basically free, plus a mining laser. Just load up a lappack, switch the laser to burst mode, and let 'er rip.

I suppose, though, for practicality's sake, I still want to know how I should be doing my auto-mining. Turtles or quarries? Tesseracts or ender chests? Chunk loaders? I wanna avoid chunk resets and other weird problems regardless of whether I'm in the twilight forest, a mystcraft age, or just the overworld.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I usually put down a quarry, power, item tesseract , no chunk loader or anything because the quarry itself a chunk loader, and do either a chunk or 64x64 anywhere in the tf and have never had any problems at all. I do single player though.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was thinking about that too - I've got the MPS tool thing that places those blue torch guys for basically free, plus a mining laser. Just load up a lappack, switch the laser to burst mode, and let 'er rip.

I suppose, though, for practicality's sake, I still want to know how I should be doing my auto-mining. Turtles or quarries? Tesseracts or ender chests? Chunk loaders? I wanna avoid chunk resets and other weird problems regardless of whether I'm in the twilight forest, a mystcraft age, or just the overworld.

The only event of chunk resets outside of the twilight forest that I've heard of is to do with an ender tank + chunk loader
As far as I know that bug has been fixed though

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries and Tesseracts work fine for me. Chunk loading turtles and ender chests caused chunk resets though.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The only thing I've seen cause a reset since 1.5 started was a chunkloader(chickenchunks). Very repeatably so but that seems to be the only thing. I would suggest a quarry but make sure to set it on the chunk boundaries as such that you can fit the rest of your setup in the chunk that the quarry is in. Tesseracts/ender chests shouldn't matter.

Reactions: RedBoss

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/17zyb4/vanishing_quarry/

This is one of the pages I found when I lost turtles in TF. Player lost a quarry and ender chest, the chests are the issue, combined with chunkloaders. Chunkloaders alone cause no issues that I have seen.

Use Tesseracts not ender chests and you have no issues.

That's from 9 months ago. That is likely from ultimate which was on 1.4.7. Since then the issue has been fixed with enderchests but lone chunkloaders can still cause a chunk reset every time you place one in the twilight.

Reactions: RedBoss

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
My experience with chunk loaders involved an ender thermic in the nether, liquid tesseracts, and a chicken chunks loader at my base. Two bases lost that way:(

That's part of why I'm paranoid about this and asking here. Also, the chunk resets were in 1.1.4 and 1.1.6 unleashed, but I've since rolled back to the seemingly more stable 1.1.3 (recommended) to maybe avoid future problems. Anybody know anything about fixes/problems in specific versions?

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
Was your base in the overworld?
Yeah - base was overworld. The chunk that got reset in both cases had the tesseract pumping into a railcraft tank. The adjacent chunk with the chunk loader was not affected, nor were any chunks in the nether.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah - base was overworld. The chunk that got reset in both cases had the tesseract pumping into a railcraft tank. The adjacent chunk with the chunk loader was not affected, nor were any chunks in the nether.

o_O

That's a really weird reset. The tesseracts shouldn't have been the cause but... Idk man.

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
o_O

That's a really weird reset. The tesseracts shouldn't have been the cause but... Idk man.

The crash log, the second time it happened, seemed to happen as a result of the railcraft tank...but it was basically chopped in half by the chunk reset, so I'm wondering if the crash and subsequent report were simply caused by the chunk reset, rather than directly related. I dunno. I guess I should just bite the bullet and build some quarries/tesseracts/ender chests/ turtle quarries and see what happens. But no more nether lava pumps. I'm still wary of that business.

Tzukasa

Jul 29, 2019

How do you change modes with the mining laser now? Use to be hold M and right click or something but that's not working in Unleashed 1.1.7 for me.

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
Check your key bindings, it should be listed there...or else something else will be bound to it and causing you problems.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
How do you change modes with the mining laser now? Use to be hold M and right click or something but that's not working in Unleashed 1.1.7 for me.
Yes by default there is something else mapped for "M" as well, which prevents you from changing mode of all the different IC2/gravisuite tools. Just change either of them to something else.
A good practice btw is to always set your mining laser back to low power mode when you are done. Blown up a few bases when forgetting to change it back from scatter mode.

Reactions: PierceSG

Tzukasa

Jul 29, 2019
Yes by default there is something else mapped for "M" as well, which prevents you from changing mode of all the different IC2/gravisuite tools. Just change either of them to something else.
A good practice btw is to always set your mining laser back to low power mode when you are done. Blown up a few bases when forgetting to change it back from scatter mode.

I got it fixed by rebinding it to insert. Ty!