Minimum spec for ftb

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Elstealthed

Nov 10, 2013
Hi,
I'm looking to hopefully.get my girlfriend included in the ftb community but was wondering what's the actual bare minimum spec to run ftb. She wouldn't need fancy graphics or top fps rates just being playable as she's not a big gamer and hasn't played Minecraft before,

I'm not.looking for a new build or to replace any parts on her laptop just the knowledge of it this would run it before buying her an account

Specs I know of :

Intel core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30GHz
8gig ram (7.78gig usable)
64bit windows 8

Not sure about graphics capability as I'm not at the laptop to check it out. Hopefully the specs so far could give some idea of if it will run okay.

Thanks in advance elstealthed

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on the pack, and that CPU looks a little light, but I'd say it should run okay. Why not install FTB on that machine and test it with your account first?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
those specs aren't horrible, but they're not the best either. the cpu is lower in clockspeed than anything i've tested ftb with. minecraft doesn't need a crazy graphics card, so you're in luck, but if she has intel onboard or something...ehh. it could play decent, or it could play sub optimally.

it's worth a try anyway.

eliandarkbrood

Jul 29, 2019
In my experience with ftb, as long as it isn't monster in a massive forrest biome she would be just a bit laggy. If it's AS or something lighter then it would work decently well. Processor is a bit weak, but RAM amount is great though. I work with 4gigs and a decent processor but i host my own server and play on there so its not doing worldgen on my laptop and makes it faster.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Elstealthed

Nov 10, 2013
I would check it with my account but I'm at work and live a hours train journey from hers, should hopefully be able to test it in a few weeks for so but want to be sure there's a possibility of it running before I let her try it on my pc because I'd feel bad getting her hooked then her not be able to actually play at all XD cheers for the quick reply we are only really looking to be playing on minimum video options and if the mod pack causes it to fail it's no biggie swapping to a lite pack

Reactions: Narc and psp

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
The CPU is more than fine, I run the Monster pack on much worse CPU and memory. The GPU will be your deciding factor.

FrankieTheSnake

Jul 29, 2019
I used to run on a similar CPU and I had acceptable framerate (on some packs even 120 FPS), I was foolish enough to run a server on it, but even then It ran quite well (30 frames) but then again I had a 730m Geforce gpu sitting in it. Also minecraft is weird when it comes to that, a friend of mine ran FTB with an I5-4### gtx 660 and sometimes he couldn't even get 120 FPS...

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
Performance in FTB depends on more than just cpu and gpu, software setup and background programs all have a huge impact on performance, the laptop you're suggesting is light for ftb, but it should work with some of the lighter packs like tech world 2 or ftb lite

-linkdbydeath-

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,
I'm looking to hopefully.get my girlfriend included in the ftb community but was wondering what's the actual bare minimum spec to run ftb. She wouldn't need fancy graphics or top fps rates just being playable as she's not a big gamer and hasn't played Minecraft before,

I'm not.looking for a new build or to replace any parts on her laptop just the knowledge of it this would run it before buying her an account

Specs I know of :

Intel core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30GHz
8gig ram (7.78gig usable)
64bit windows 8

Not sure about graphics capability as I'm not at the laptop to check it out. Hopefully the specs so far could give some idea of if it will run okay.

Thanks in advance elstealthed

I have the same specs and i run monster, no mods added or removed at 30+fps

Elstealthed

Nov 10, 2013
Thanks for all the reply guys going to give it a test hopefully in a week or so and see how it holds up

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've run FTB on a core2duo laptop that is about 6 years old, but it had a nvidia 8200 discrete graphics card. It eeked out about 15-20fps, and was playable provided I wasn't in a forest with fancy graphics turned on. I eventually had to move my world to a server as my world got built up. It was just too much for my system to handle in SSP. If you can set up a private server for the two of you to play on, she shouldn't have much trouble. I will echo the sentiment to stay away from monster, but the rest of the packs shouldn't be too difficult.