Minecraft overviewer and FTB modpacks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Hiya.
I was just testing out minecraft overviewer on my newest world, and i noticed that blocks added by mods are completely invisible, is it possible to export all the mod textures into a single terrain.png so that the map renderer is capable of rendering the mod added block types as well?

I would also want to set it up to be able to render mystcraft worlds as well as the twilight forest dimensions in time.
Anyone got experience with this utility? it makes really good maps for vanilla worlds, and I would love to have it work for FTB worlds as well.

ETA: I think i found a workaround for the problem the program will accept a texturepack zip file, so all i need to get everything to render properly is to supply it with a texturepack containing textures for all the blocks... dunno how i feel about using a texturepack tho... some of the machine blocks look mighty strange in some of them.

ETA2: Nope. would need a non existing plugin to make mod's work. so until the devs of the utility makes one I'm stuck.
Anyone know of another utility that might be capable of mapping FTB type worlds?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Where do you aim the overviewer program? I cannot get it to render anything.

It's very fiddly to use, but you have to make a config that points to the world save folder.
There is an example config.py you can use as a base for making your own in the zip file.
the documentation is not too bad, but you will have to spend some time with it before you can make it work.
It still misses modded blocks tho. the needed block ID plugins for making it render those have not been made yet. (they are still working on the core program)
For vanilla minecraft it works very well tho. and the maps rendered are very excellent.

Mauldek

Jul 29, 2019
It's very fiddly to use, but you have to make a config that points to the world save folder.
There is an example config.py you can use as a base for making your own in the zip file.
the documentation is not too bad, but you will have to spend some time with it before you can make it work.
It still misses modded blocks tho. the needed block ID plugins for making it render those have not been made yet. (they are still working on the core program)
For vanilla minecraft it works very well tho. and the maps rendered are very excellent.
Thank you. I played around with it a little and got it to work.

Kanibal

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed completely. It's great that it works as is and just ignores / renders mod blocks transparent, at least we get some of the great functionality.
Does anyone know if it's some external plugin for Minecraft-Overviewer that would need to be written or is it just a case of waiting for them and hoping they implement a system so it can read entire texture packs and not just terrain.png

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed completely. It's great that it works as is and just ignores / renders mod blocks transparent, at least we get some of the great functionality.
Does anyone know if it's some external plugin for Minecraft-Overviewer that would need to be written or is it just a case of waiting for them and hoping they implement a system so it can read entire texture packs and not just terrain.png
They likely will support mods in 1.5 due to the texture changes in Vanilla Minecraft :)

masa

Jul 29, 2019
They still need a way to map the textures to the ids and a bunch of code to handle different texture orientations. Not to mention code to handle rendering things that are smaller than full blocks etc. And I don't even know how microblocks and facades and covers and so fort have been implemented in forge/mods.

(This is unless I'm badly mistaken how things work, but I did look at the overviewer code a while back. It had hard-coded block ids and different cases for handling for example wood log orientations...)

Edit: Oh, it seems that they have actually a new renderer coming hopefully in the near future. It should at least make things easier...

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Oh, it seems that they have actually a new renderer coming hopefully in the near future. It should at least make things easier...

I hope so. It's a sweet mapping tool. not the fastest. but man. it renders beautifully.
I was hoping to use it as sort of an interaction tool for an LP I'm trying to get underway. I don't like sharing my seed/map. mostly due to spoilers, and the maps this tool makes are so nice that it could at least partially replace world downloads.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

No. simply because i need a tool that works for SSP worlds. I don't need realtime updates of my map. just the ability to do progressive updates once every episode. the series isn't "live" yet. I want to make enough episodes to move it into interesting ground first. the first episodes of any new series are always rather cheezy, altho i try to avoid most of that by doing some fast forward footage and good old cutting.
I don't have the internet connection to pull off SMP. (nor the extra hardware to run a private server at home, even tho that would have improved my FPS greatly when recording)
I live in a house with internet "included" in the rent. that means that in addition to the DSL Moden and router of the house owner, there is another NAT firewall sitting between me and the rest of the world. latency becomes really really bad that way. really gamebreakingly bad.

That being said. Dynmap looks to be a really cool tool to use with a server. especially the ability to log on and chat with your friends who are online with your browser. would be really cool for a livestream type of show as well...

Fobok

Jul 29, 2019
I run a private server for myself since I like to use chunkloaders and keep machines running without being in-game, so after seeing this I did try Dynmap, and while it works great for what it is, it doesn't offer the same kind of map-of-everything that overviewer does, at least if it wasn't installed during the land generation. It only shows chunks that have been loaded since it's been installed. I'd like a way to see a map of everything, like overviewer does, without wandering the whole 3000x3000 or so map, if any such software exists.

HalibutBarn

Jul 29, 2019
It's extremely incomplete (no microblocks, no machines, no cables or pipes, etc.), but I have a customized version of Overviewer that fills in enough of ExtraBiomes and Redpower that the general lay of the land doesn't look quite so messy. (And some XyCraft, since some of my players started making huge buildings out of xychorium...)

It's kind of a hack job, but the modifications needed are here, if you'd like to try: http://ftb.planetcrushers.com/overviewer/ The block IDs are set up for the MindCrack pack, though.

Sample pic, with a marble brick building (ceiling and floor are missing since they're microblocks), fir trees to the right, autumn trees along the top, etc: http://i.imgur.com/BJ1QObJ.jpg

Reactions: Skuld

Asular

Jul 29, 2019
I started messing around with this to try to add some of the other blocks in the TechWorld Modpack, but it seems that the new version of Overviewer no longer contains the references to the png files in the form of

Code:
self.terrain_images = self._split_terrain(self.load_image("terrain.png"))

I assume this is now due to the fact that Overviewer supports 1.5.x MC which uses the new texture formats. Granted FTB is still running 1.4.7 as stable. I'll probably end up using an older version of Overviewer to start, but if you do end up creating a patch that works with the newer version of Overviewer before I figure it out, it would be pretty cool.

Either way, just wanted to thank you for the patch, saves me quite a bit of time.

masa

Jul 29, 2019
Hi again.

In case someone finds this useful, for the past few days, I have been working on adding support to overviewer for rendering at least most of the world gen stuff in FTB Unleashed.
At the moment, most of the BoP and TE stuff is done (at least most of the stuff that I plan to support), and also a few other things such as Oil from Buildcraft, slime island stuff from TiC, MFR and IC2 rubber trees etc.
It is still pretty much a work in progress, but it does render the basic world gen stuff quite nicely already.

The code can be found here: https://github.com/maruohon/Minecraft-Overviewer/tree/ftb-152

Read the README that is shown on that page or can also be found in the repository. Basic installation is the same as with the upstream version of Overviewer, but that README also contains the necessary information on how to set up the textures properly for overviewer to use them.

If something is rendered completely wrong (wrong texture etc.), post it here. PLEASE NOTE that I am using FTB Unleashed configs as the base, so if you are using a pack that has a different set of configs (block ids), I can't and won't be supporting those in this version. Feel free to fork the code and modify it for your pack on your own.

NOTE: Currently you should disable biome coloring in the overviewer rendering config, because the custom biomes are not (yet?) supported. I really want to support them and hope to get to those soon-ish, but until then, use the following or equivalent in the config:
Code:
nobiome_smooth_lighting = [Base(biomes=False), EdgeLines(), SmoothLighting()]
'rendermode':        nobiome_smooth_lighting,

Here is a sample config for an overworld render:
Code:
worlds["ftb_unleashed"] = "/home/masa/tmp/overviewer_devel/worlds/test_04_ftb_unleashed"
outputdir = "/home/masa/tmp/overviewer_devel/render/test_04_ftb_unleashed"
texturepath = "/home/masa/tmp/overviewer_devel/1.5.2_ftb.zip"

#nobiome_lighting = [Base(biomes=False), EdgeLines(), Lighting()]
nobiome_smooth_lighting = [Base(biomes=False), EdgeLines(), SmoothLighting()]
nobiome_smooth_night = [Base(biomes=False), EdgeLines(), SmoothLighting(night=True)]
nether_smooth = [Base(), EdgeLines(), Nether(), SmoothLighting(strength=0.6)]
end_smooth = [Base(), EdgeLines(), SmoothLighting(strength=0.85, night=True)]

############ Info sign filter function ##############
def infoSignFilter(poi):
    if poi['id'] == 'Sign':
        if poi['Text1'] == 'INFO':
            return "\n".join([poi['Text1'], poi['Text2'], poi['Text3'], poi['Text4']])

############ Renders ###############################

renders["ftb_unleashed_overworld_smooth_upper-left_jpg"] = {
    'world':        'ftb_unleashed',
    'title':        'FTB Unleashed (World), u-l',
    'rendermode':        nobiome_smooth_lighting,
    'dimension':        'overworld',
    'northdirection':    'upper-left',
    'imgformat':        'jpg',
    'imgquality':        '95',
    'bgcolor':        '#000000',
    'markers':        [dict(name="Info signs", filterFunction=infoSignFilter)]
}

Reactions: Antice

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
that is cool. I might give this app a swirl again soon. my current world is strictly speaking not an FTB unleashed world, but worldgen is pretty much the same.