[Minecraft News] Minecraft to push minimum OpenGL Support to version 2.1

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see how it is necessary to support a standard that is 13 years old. If the computer is only capable of running OpenGL 1.2, i'd be shocked if it got more than 10 FPS. Just because you can make something run, doesn't mean it will run well. The play experience will be sub par.

I'm not an affected victim of this change, but I speak for the people still stuck on 1.x.

Some people can actually stand playing MC under 10 fps (I could); its better than nothing.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Lets be honest here, this will effect under 20% of the current community. Knowing the community, someone will release a mod that has a work around for people managing to play Minecraft on a toaster.

They could bump the OpenGL version to 4.0 and most computers could still play Minecraft. OpenGL 2.1 was released in 2006, if anyone has to use a computer that old, I pity them.

Hell, OpenGL 4.4 is out now and Nvidia cards as old as the 400 series can run it.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Lets be honest here, this will effect under 20% of the current community. Knowing the community, someone will release a mod that has a work around for people managing to play Minecraft on a toaster.

They could bump the OpenGL version to 4.0 and most computers could still play Minecraft. OpenGL 2.1 was released in 2006, if anyone has to use a computer that old, I pity them.

Hell, OpenGL 4.4 is out now and Nvidia cards as old as the 400 series can run it.

20% is a lot. You're speaking 2.4 mil people right there. You can't really appreciate the amount unless you look at each as an individual.

I doubt they will ever go past 3.0. Otherwise prepare to completely rewrite the render engine. That reminds me, they could recycle the existing I-Mode render code to support 1.x, instead of completely trashing it.

Mojang is doing some non-thoroughly thought-out stuff here. I'm tired. (Most of) You guys still don't get my point. Mojang probably never will either. I'm out of this.

JezuitX

Jul 29, 2019
Also, people are acting like once this update happens these people who can't update will have no access to Minecraft in any form. They'll have access to all the versions of Minecraft before the upgrade occurred. If they want the new versions of Minecraft they'll have to go spend at the most $200 dollars to get a PC that was made in the last 7 years. I don't think that's asking a whole lot.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
20% is a lot. You're speaking 2.4 mil people right there. You can't really appreciate the amount unless you look at each as an individual.

I doubt they will ever go past 3.0. Otherwise prepare to completely rewrite the render engine. That reminds me, they could recycle the existing I-Mode render code to support 1.x, instead of completely trashing it.

Mojang is doing some non-thoroughly thought-out stuff here. I'm tired. (Most of) You guys still don't get my point. Mojang probably never will either. I'm out of this.

From what you've been saying and part of your sig, I'd feel confident in assuming you're one of those folks who don't quite yet realize that just because you said it or you can do it doesn't mean anyone else cares. Mojang made a choice based on their assessment of what they're trying to accomplish and what it's going to take to do so. They don't need your approval or permission. It doesn't matter how right you may be. It's not your project.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
From /r/admincraft:

Mojang: Let's test our experimental code on the live servers!

I don't always test my code. But when I do, I do it in production. Stay buggy, my friends.

http://i.imgur.com/sEKDUI8.jpg

Seriously. Spend some of those millions on a Dev Box.