Minecraft 1.5 Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
With the first snapshot for 1.5 out, what do you think of it? I've noticed that a few of the mods in FTB may require rethinking with the new changes (RedPower, RailCraft and BuildCraft in particular). For example, hoppers can load carts, so what about the item loader? Will Eloraam accommodate nether quartz and the new redstone mechanics? And hoppers can be used as item pipes. And also as hoppers. What does this mean for BuildCraft?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Probably all it will mean is that the BC Hoppers will get a rename (as Steam Engines did), or a whole lot of people are going to be confused. I don't see any of the other additions conflicting with anything else in the modding world. Pipes are still much cheaper, more versatile, and easier to set up than 1.5 Hoppers. Railcraft loaders offer many configuration options. From what I've seen, the 1.5 light sensor is more accurate than the RedPower one. Redstone blocks don't really have an equivalent in any of the FTB mods.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I don't think mods have to change much at all.

The new hopper is still buggy as hell from what I've read on the wiki and way inferior to anything RP2 or BC pipes offer in control and management (and speed for that matter). It looks good enough to catch drops from automated farms, but I seriously doubt you can build any decent sorting or auto-crafting system with it. Also, with 1 Glass + 2 Cobble/stone/etc. = 8 pipes those hoppers are way too expensive to replace piping from a cost perspective.

For loading carts, I dunno, I haven't spent much time looking into Railcraft, but I doubt it'll make the whole mod obsolete. I think Railcraft will still offer more control over your minecarts and there is of course the whole Boiler and power generation side of it which will always remain a very strong point of Railcraft for many players.

As for new redstone mechanics, how exactly are they different? As far as I can see it's mostly bugs getting fixed and things like BUD switches which are broken (but replaced with various detectors to fill that gap). Maybe I'm missing something, but to me that looks like a good thing (at least for vanilla players). Red Power will (perhaps break and) have to adapt or stick with the old mechanics (I don't know how it's coded and if that's possible or not, but those look like the most logical options to me). If Red Power can stick with the old mechanics it probably will, at least at first.
As for Nether quartz, personally I hope it stays out of mods as much as possible or that mods provide a way to fabricate it. I honestly don't feel much for starting yet another new world just because some vanilla ore got added with little to no purpose. To me it kinda feels like a magic detection ore, which in most mods is actually done by creating actual circuits and expensive components, which I prefer over just digging up a simple ore.

Overall I think the 1.5 update will be a good one and perhaps certain parts of mods will get contested by vanilla items/blocks, but personally I don't see much reason for mods to remove the components that get vanilla equivalents. Mostly because most mods will always have the advantage that their own components interact a lot better with the other components of the mod, which as a whole will offer a lot more flexibility and control than most vanilla components cobbled together.

In the end we'll have to wait and see though. This is just my view and opinion on the matter, I don't know what modders and other people think though.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Probably all it will mean is that the BC Hoppers will get a rename (as Steam Engines did), or a whole lot of people are going to be confused. I don't see any of the other additions conflicting with anything else in the modding world. Pipes are still much cheaper, more versatile, and easier to set up than 1.5 Hoppers. Railcraft loaders offer many configuration options. From what I've seen, the 1.5 light sensor is more accurate than the RedPower one. Redstone blocks don't really have an equivalent in any of the FTB mods.
Isn't the 1.5 hopper just a bit of stone and a chest? They can also output to the side if the inventory below is full, which is most excellent. I could see buildcraft just simply removing their hopper and making sure pipes play friendly with the 1.5 vanilla hopper.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've seen in videos (haven't installed the prerelease myself), the hopper doesn't interact well with sided inventories. It is also much slower at transferring items than a BC hopper. The plus side is that it can automatically pull items from a chest without requiring any kind of input, energy, redstone pulse, etc. which no other machine in FTB can. (Wooden pipe with an autarchic gate, if you want items spilled all over your floor.)

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've seen in videos (haven't installed the prerelease myself), the hopper doesn't interact well with sided inventories. It is also much slower at transferring items than a BC hopper. The plus side is that it can automatically pull items from a chest without requiring any kind of input, energy, redstone pulse, etc. which no other machine in FTB can. (Wooden pipe with an autarchic gate, if you want items spilled all over your floor.)

If items are spilling on your floor then connect more pipes to it. Build craft is smart enough to not do that anymore unless the person building it majorly messed up.

As for 1.5, I'm interested in the additions and changes to redstone (the solar detector and the advanced and gate) redstone is still just a signal wire until it powers something (glowstone lamps don't count)

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I think the hopper IS superior to BuildCraft wooden pipe + redstone engine/autarchic gate. I do think that mods should integrate new vanilla stuff (quartz) to make them more seamless with the game. And, to go even further, maybe even use it instead of their own ore.

InfestedZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking forward to Quartz being used in the mods. Although now certain things are more difficult to craft I liked that the Nether Star has been included.

What I'm now curious about is how the Soul Shards mod will work with spawners in mine carts.