Mindcrack vs Direwolf20 packs?

Ariaera

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if anyone could rattle off the differences between the two?

I'm considering running one or the other on my server, since they seem to have everything I enjoy using AND the new RP2 and Thaumcraft 3.

I don't see Forge listed under either of them though? Does that mean I can't run stuff that needs Forge?

laton95

Jul 29, 2019
Forge is in both of them don't worry :p they didn't put it in the list because they thought it would be taken for granted.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I would go with the Direwolf pack for server play myself. The MindCrack pack seems to have some lag issues unless you have a uber server. Only thing it's really missing is Twilight Forest and Advanced Machines

Ariaera

Jul 29, 2019
We are playing on Mindcrack right now. Doesn't seem to be any more lag than regular FTB for us?

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019
Whichever pack you choose all comes down to your preferences.

The differences are which mods are included in the different packs. The rest is just tweaking the configs. (If you are not happy with the default settings that is)

Ariaera

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah we ended up going with Mindcrack, because we decided Mystcraft isn't essential for our server and we really enjoy the advanced machines and twilight forest

mrhoezey

Jul 29, 2019
Well actually, direwolf said in Season 5 episode 1 that the modpack will constantly be updating and will try his best to constantly use the same mod/updates as the modpack given to us. Also only mod differences is that Mystcraft and Portalgun, while mindcrack uses gregtech. Also they both use a different set of solar panel. I'll use DW20 for Single player and mindcrack for server. :)

edit: Just saw your post choosing your decision. Have fun on your server. :D

Evelina

Jul 29, 2019
Any reason you can't combine the two? Take the elements of what you feel is missing out of the other and combine it with the one you are playing. That's what we do here on our home server. For example - grandson and grandpa like certain mods, but I, on the other hand, (grandma AND the techie person that sets up the server and games), like other mods. So I introduced the missing elements into that had the most elements the two guys wanted to play. : ) Hope that's not illegal or something...(opps). We just LOVE Feed The Beast, and the launcher seems to encourage this sort of creativity. LOVE IT! : )

Ariaera

Jul 29, 2019
Oh of course there's no reason we couldn't combine the elements we want, but I prefer to use a set modpack, just for ease of use...and just in case I decide I want to make it a public server someday. I won't have to do much technical support if I just use one of the packs provided in the launcher.

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
Well, they did say they were looking at the option of customisable packs that you can set up through the launcher so others using your server would be able to use the same mods..

Ishmair

Jul 29, 2019
well I like the mindcrack one with gregtech mod on full hard mod. but I would love the protalgun in it. For mystcraft I could wait on it for it next update with the big change with symbols. that I seen on xcompwix's twitch stream.

Evelina

Jul 29, 2019
Oh of course there's no reason we couldn't combine the elements we want, but I prefer to use a set modpack, just for ease of use...and just in case I decide I want to make it a public server someday. I won't have to do much technical support if I just use one of the packs provided in the launcher.

Ohhh! I have to agree with you there on that tech support. It is bad enough dealing with it within the family, with everyone's individual computers, can you imagine how much worse it would be if all of a sudden the Public were added to your woes!? On a wee family server you have everyone wanting their favorite mod on the server. I bet with a public one, the requests could get out of hand, even if the rule is NO REQUESTS. Yes, smart move in sticking with the standard mod packs. Luckily the biggest complainer and the one who absolutely demands certain mods on our family server is me....*sheepish grin*...the server admin and techie person in the family. I can't stand defeat - I'll burst my brains trying to make a mod run before giving up. Some mods I find an absolute necessity if one wants to get in any decent game play with a 3/just turned 4 year old following every footstep we make...getting in to mischief...