Mindcrack V8 server causing high CPU usage.

Elusive

Jul 29, 2019
Ever since the update my server has been running very slowly. It has been fluctuating from 50% to 80% and if you try to generate more land it shoots up to 100% and crashes.

This is with two players connected.
(Also using about 1gig of RAM. Unsure if that is normal for two players?)

Machine Specs:

12GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
3.3GHZ Quad Core i5

Can anyone give me any ideas?

Draz McG

Jul 29, 2019
While mine doesn't full-on crash, I'm noticing a huge jump in CPU usage with this latest update and have heard several reports of the same from others. Lets try to see some similarities here.

Here are my server specs:

12GB DDR3
Phenom II x2 3.4 Ghz (that has been unlocked to an x4)

What does your environment look like? Mine is the following:

Java: 1.7 (recently updated - 1.6 was laggy as well)
FTB: Mindcrack 8.0.1

I have 2 GB RAM allocated to FTB and the gui only reports 203 MB used. Server has plenty of unused ram available, too.

Elusive

Jul 29, 2019
Win 7 for me.
Java is the same as yours. So is the Mindcrack version.
I have a min of 3 allocated and a max of 4 for my server.
GUI reports something obscenely low like 64MB for me. BUT when I look at my processes that tells me it is using around a Gig.

Also, I should clarfy about the crashing. It doesn't crash the server itself, but if we attempt to generate more world it usually results in us getting a java timeout disconnect, and while doing so the server bogs down and CPU usage is through the roof.

thr33p10

Jul 29, 2019
I've been running My Mindcrack server (v 8.0.1) with the following:
Intel i7 2600K, 3.4GHz /core (that's 8 cores)
8GB RAM (server set to use up to 3GB)
Win 7 64-bit OS
Java 1.7 64-bit

My system starts the server around 150MB usage and 2 cores used, for around 15% CPU usage.
After 24 hrs running it is usually up to around 1GB RAM, many times with warning messages "can't keep up..." and around 30-50% CPU load, using 5 cores.

This is MUCH higher than the v6 Mindcrack setup had been using and has caused some lag issues once it goes past the 24 hr mark without restart... Server runs anywhere between 2 - 6 people at any given time.

Draz McG

Jul 29, 2019
ps aux reports that mine is currently using 660 MB of RAM. It doesn't seem to be filling the allocated RAM on any of our systems.

I should also add that this is without anyone on.

Elusive

Jul 29, 2019
I've been running My Mindcrack server (v 8.0.1) with the following:
Intel i7 2600K, 3.4GHz /core (that's 8 cores)
8GB RAM (server set to use up to 3GB)
Win 7 64-bit OS
Java 1.7 64-bit

My system starts the server around 150MB usage and 2 cores used, for around 15% CPU usage.
After 24 hrs running it is usually up to around 1GB RAM, many times with warning messages "can't keep up..." and around 30-50% CPU load, using 5 cores.

This is MUCH higher than the v6 Mindcrack setup had been using and has caused some lag issues once it goes past the 24 hr mark without restart... Server runs anywhere between 2 - 6 people at any given time.

You seem to be faring better than me. lol

Still I don't understand the problems here or why it would change so drastically since the last update.[DOUBLEPOST=1359646107][/DOUBLEPOST]
ps aux reports that mine is currently using 660 MB of RAM. It doesn't seem to be filling the allocated RAM on any of our systems.

I should also add that this is without anyone on.

I don't know what to really know how much it is really using though. My server console says 64MB of RAM with 88% free but my operating system is telling me something totally different.

I'm more inclined to go with what my OS is saying, but at the same time why is the console telling me something else?

Draz McG

Jul 29, 2019
ps aux IS what my OS is saying. That lists all processes running from all users on *nix. The gui is still only saying ~200 MB. I think what's going on is the gui reports what minecraft itself is taking up but not what java is taking up in order to run minecraft. In other words, the java overhead required for running minecraft.

Draz McG

Jul 29, 2019
My server is now doing much better. I changed my ServerStart.sh to the following:

java -server -Xms512M -Xmx4096M -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar ftbserver.jar

From what I've read, this changes the way java's garbage collection works slightly. What I see now is slightly higher RAM use (with greater fluctuations) but a much, much reduced CPU load. Even with a few people on it doesn't get above 70% of one core now. I hope this helps anybody else having this issue.