Mindcrack Lag Complaints? Optimizing FTB Servers

floh22

Jul 29, 2019
really strange. il preload some chunks to stop people from lagging the server while they explore and i already have twilight disabled. il reset the map to see if that stops the lag cause its so damn high

floh22

Jul 29, 2019
What helps server side CPU load for Mindcrack are the following few point that need changing (If people want i can explain)

1) Disable Twilght Forest (Buggy)
2) Disable Chicken Chunks (No cost for chunck loading)
3) Set Fillers to destroy block not drop them
4) Reduce tick rate load of quarry's (Reduces lag ALOT)
5) A world border help (And using Fill to preload all the chunck in border so people roaming wont cause lag)
6) Personal and World Anchores (Make personal ones alot cheaper upkeep cost to reduce lag while they not on server)
7) Setup script to restart server and backup every 12 hours

My private server has about 15 people on at one time. Running for quite a while and load on the single core is around 24% avg. With 3GB of ram. World border set to 10k and all preloaded.

how can you use that fill feature? is that an extra mod?

Killer139

Jul 29, 2019
I use forgebukkit on the server and use worldborder and set the border on all regions and use the /wb fill confirm to start filling it all in

I have the following borders

Overworld : 10000
Nether : 1500
The_End : 1500

floh22

Jul 29, 2019
hm, when i use that command it gives me an error in the console, does that matter? ive been using bukkitforge as well and its been working for everything but that

Eximos

Jul 29, 2019
What helps server side CPU load for Mindcrack are the following few point that need changing (If people want i can explain)
6) Personal and World Anchores (Make personal ones alot cheaper upkeep cost to reduce lag while they not on server)

Can you explain those two some more, how you do that and what effect it will have for the player?

Thank you!

WitherSauce

Jul 29, 2019

1) Disable Twilght Forest (Buggy)
2) Disable Chicken Chunks (No cost for chunck loading)
3) Set Fillers to destroy block not drop them
5) A world border help (And using Fill to preload all the chunck in border so people roaming wont cause lag)
7) Setup script to restart server and backup every 12 hours

My private server has about 15 people on at one time. Running for quite a while and load on the single core is around 24% avg. With 3GB of ram. World border set to 10k and all preloaded.

Thanks for the information!

An explanation for some of these would be wonderful :)

Running MindCrack v7 with the BukkitForge 1.4.7-91 plugin. Ported bukkit plugins are ClearLag, Lockette, WorldBorder, CoreProtect, Essentials, and GroupManager.

1) We haven't encountered lag in twilight, would you mind elaborating the bug? If we get any lag its when people travel between worlds. This also happens from the nether and the end to the overworld.
2) I thought the point of chicken chunks was more effective chunk loading. Wouldn't disabling CC increase lag when players travel?
3) The filler block drop can also be circumvented by using a plugin such as ClearLag
4) I assume your talking about buildcraft quarries? I tried to find a setting for quarry tick rate in the buildcraft main.conf file but was unable to.
5) I set the world border at 15000 blocks, and used the world fill command at a rate of 500. Its been 12 hours and the world is still filling, is this normal? Currently WorldBorder says its still filling, but i did get an exception error from BukkitForge.
6) Are these anchors better than the chicken chunks chunk loader?
7) If you can get the McMyAdmin control panel installed on your server, you can also set automated backups and restarts, if anyone else would like an non scripted way ^^

I also had success in reducing lag on a tekkit server by limiting redpower Timers to 1s instead of 0.2s. However, the redpower config.cfg for MindCrack file has no settings for the timer anymore (minInterval). Manually adding the command doesnt work eiither. In previous versions of redpower, the option was in the config file. Does anyone know how to limit it now?

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the information!

An explanation for some of these would be wonderful :)

Running MindCrack v7 with the BukkitForge 1.4.7-91 plugin. Ported bukkit plugins are ClearLag, Lockette, WorldBorder, CoreProtect, Essentials, and GroupManager.

1) We haven't encountered lag in twilight, would you mind elaborating the bug? If we get any lag its when people travel between worlds. This also happens from the nether and the end to the overworld.
2) I thought the point of chicken chunks was more effective chunk loading. Wouldn't disabling CC increase lag when players travel?
3) The filler block drop can also be circumvented by using a plugin such as ClearLag
4) I assume your talking about buildcraft quarries? I tried to find a setting for quarry tick rate in the buildcraft main.conf file but was unable to.
5) I set the world border at 15000 blocks, and used the world fill command at a rate of 500. Its been 12 hours and the world is still filling, is this normal? Currently WorldBorder says its still filling, but i did get an exception error from BukkitForge.
7) If you can get the McMyAdmin control panel installed on your server, you can also set automated backups and restarts, if anyone else would like an non scripted way ^^

I also had success in reducing lag on a tekkit server by limiting redpower Timers to 1s instead of 0.2s. However, the redpower config.cfg for MindCrack file has no settings for the timer anymore (minInterval). Manually adding the command doesnt work eiither. In previous versions of redpower, the option was in the config file. Does anyone know how to limit it now?
https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/issues/598 may be the quarry issue - to fix it, just make sure no quarries exist which are completely finished (no possible minable blocks).

Reactions: WitherSauce

Killer139

Jul 29, 2019
Writing a list of all the changes i have done now.

There isnt a config option you get force to change its chunk loading abilitys

They load about the same area but chicken chunks is cost free where as world anchors need enderpearls to keep chunks loaded

Its more there was issues when generating the world more then anything and errors when people traveled the dimensions this is fixed in mindcrack v8

It does take a LONG time to gen the world and the rate of 500 is slower then default if i remember correctly its how many ticks till it gens another chunck so having set to 1 will cause mass lag till its fully finished and like 500 will take quite a while. Also Bukkitforge is being updated almost hourly to fix bugs and make the code cleaner

Yer but wheres the fun in that :D

True but remember the clearlag checks every so often to make sure it clearsdrops this can also cause lag so preventing the blocks from dropping to begin with helps

There either CC or Forgechunkloading (World anchors use this) i havent tested the difference between them personaly but i cant say i know that CC runs at a reduced tick rate then when a player is present. But i have changed forge loading to be about the same

Эрик

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know of a possible way or a plugin that could simply suspend new chunk generation if ticks per second go below a certain threshold and when tps crosses back above that threshold, resume?

I'm using spigot/forge on my server right now and it runs beautifully for the most part, no lag for the most part, but the biggest thing for lagging my server is chunk generation which starts happening probably after about 20-30 chunks get generating, you can notice the lag. I've generated the world out to 2k, 2k already with a border plugin, and I'm really not interested in restricting my server's map size. So what I'd like to do as kind of a hackish way around this is simply something like the following:

if tps ≤15 for >5 seconds
then halt chunk generation
if tps ≥15 for >15 seconds
resume chunk generation

Of course real code would be a bit more complicated than that pseudo program, but I think that get's across what I'm looking for.
Is it ideal? No, definitely not ideal, but better than lag Imo and still not limiting the map size.