Mindcrack iron vs xycraft tanks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Elvi

Jul 29, 2019
I bet this has been asked before a long time ago but maybe i'm more presies heh.

Say if i have a iron tank with 2 blocks to fill... how many liquid spot blocks do i need in a xycraft tank to make it take the same amount?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
IIRC the iron and steel tanks count all blocks of the multistructure while xycraft ones only count air blocks. So you would need enough air blocks to fit the iron tank in the xycraft one.

Elvi

Jul 29, 2019
ehm i didn't ask how to fit them inside each other but how big i need to make a xycraft one have the same space as a 3x3x4 iron tank.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
ehm i didn't ask how to fit them inside each other but how big i need to make a xycraft one have the same space as a 3x3x4 iron tank.
He meant that if you make the XyTank big enough that the iron tank would fit inside it (not building it that way), it should hold the same amount. Basically make the XyTank 2 blocks bigger every dimension, a 3x3x4 iron tank should match a 5x5x6 XyTank

Reactions: Hoff

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
It would need to to 5x5x6. Both xycraft and railcraft (iron) tanks can store 16 buckets ber tank block, however xycraft tanks don't count the tank walls. This is balanced by the fact that xycraft tanks are way cheaper (you can make them out of cobblestone) and they can be made much bigger, up to 12x12x12.

EDIT: Ninja'd :mad:

Reactions: Seraph089

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
It would need to to 5x5x6. Both xycraft and railcraft (iron) tanks can store 16 buckets ber tank block, however xycraft tanks don't count the tank walls. This is balanced by the fact that xycraft tanks are way cheaper (you can make them out of cobblestone) and they can be made much bigger, up to 12x12x12.

EDIT: Ninja'd :mad:
correct.
you can also use walls of one Xytank to another, whereas railcraft tanks need at least one block between the tanks.
storage method is different. Xytanks use the valves (heres to losing half the contents if you need to relocate a valve), RC tanks use the bottom center block, making them more configurable and creeper-proof.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
correct.
you can also use walls of one Xytank to another, whereas railcraft tanks need at least one block between the tanks.
storage method is different. Xytanks use the valves (heres to losing half the contents if you need to relocate a valve), RC tanks use the bottom center block, making them more configurable and creeper-proof.

A little known gem: Rc tanks can do this too but only vertically. if you stack rc tanks ontop of each other with valves connecting them, overflow from the bottom tank will flow to tank 2 and can be be drawn from tank 1.

Elvi

Jul 29, 2019
Hi hi thanks to this i got the idea to make the tank out of oak wood and glas viewers :D

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Too bad there's no XyCraft for 1.5.2. I miss them tanks. So much cheaper and easier to make compared to RailCraft's.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Hi hi thanks to this i got the idea to make the tank out of oak wood and glas viewers :D
I'm pretty wood doesn't work, the edges need to be some kind of stone or metal. Could be wrong though, been a while since I've played 1.4.7

Too bad there's no XyCraft for 1.5.2. I miss them tanks. So much cheaper and easier to make compared to RailCraft's.
Agreed. I never realized how much I'd miss Xycraft until I updated and lost it. I used a lot of XyTanks, fabricators, XyWater and XySoil (especially fabricators and soil)

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
I missed losing fabricators quite a bit, but I ended up getting over. The water and soil were neat, but I got over them as well with the addition of MFR. I really wish I had the soil for things you can't fertilize though... like Sugar Cane. Man.... With two layers of soil beneath them, I bet you could run 16 Coke Ovens off of one 9x9 Sugar Cane farm (and then auto-craft 8 Sugar Cokes into a Coal Coke) and never worry about the bottle neck.

I don't miss Multitanks all that much for liquid storage, what I really miss them for is how rapidly you could fill containers with them. Absolutely blew away the Liquid Transposer, and without an energy requirement. Sadly, there was a bug where if you rapidly stuck empty buckets into the tank, and then extracted the full ones (like for example with AE busses set to stack mode on either Item IO) it would duplicate empty buckets. Logged on after completing my updated, non-redpower automatic IC2 watermill array and found my initial 300 buckets had duplicated their way to 90k.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of those XyBlocks are actually pretty nifty when you think bavk about it, like the XyVoid block that acts like a sponge by denying liquid around it, or the block that is like Netherrack?

Elvi

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty wood doesn't work, the edges need to be some kind of stone or metal. Could be wrong though, been a while since I've played 1.4.7
quote]

Nope it works just fine as i've replaced 2 of the iron tanks already and moved the content over to the xytanks.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019

IIRC, Iron Tanks only come out to 1 iron ingot per block, so it isn't really that bad in the grand scheme of things.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Rolling Machine's cost + Power required to make the plates. :p

And able to make tanks out of any darn materials I like is a huge pro to me. :D

Reactions: Seraph089

Dereck Napacho

Jul 29, 2019
I never even used xycraft until end-of-life for ftb ultimate (always like RP2 so I never wanted to upgrade) I used it for about a week, then I upgraded to unleashed, and when i found out it didnt have xycraft I rage quitted.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I never even used xycraft until end-of-life for ftb ultimate (always like RP2 so I never wanted to upgrade) I used it for about a week, then I upgraded to unleashed, and when i found out it didnt have xycraft I rage quitted.
Necro a bit?
However since its already brought up, I would say the choice is easy with the "new" steel tanks since they hold double the contents of the same sized iron or XY-tank in the same/less space.

EDIT: NVM didn't fully notice the "Mindcrack" in the title of the thread.. :p

Last edited:

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Necro a bit?
However since its already brought up, I would say the choice is easy with the "new" steel tanks since they hold double the contents of the same sized iron or XY-tank in the same/less space.
I dont think they jave access to that in the Mindcrack pack which ia in 1.4.7