mid-level Power Generation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I was going to ask about this in the simple question thread, but I figure I'll give it a shot here because this isn't a simple question.

Specifically, I'm looking for a(some) good mod(s) to add to my pack for some mid-tier RF generation. Right now, I'm pretty much on the Extra Utils generators, with the hopeful goal of making a rainbow generator. I don't really know what to do between that. I also have a canola farm, but the idea of automating the highest tier just seems like more than I wanna do right now (or maybe it's the answer I'm looking for, I don't know).

But anyway, I am always looking for new and interesting things to work with. What do you use for power? Mid or high-tier, really. And if you know some interested in low-tier power methods I might want to look into in the future, that's also welcome.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I was going to ask about this in the simple question thread, but I figure I'll give it a shot here because this isn't a simple question.

Specifically, I'm looking for a(some) good mod(s) to add to my pack for some mid-tier RF generation. Right now, I'm pretty much on the Extra Utils generators, with the hopeful goal of making a rainbow generator. I don't really know what to do between that. I also have a canola farm, but the idea of automating the highest tier just seems like more than I wanna do right now (or maybe it's the answer I'm looking for, I don't know).

But anyway, I am always looking for new and interesting things to work with. What do you use for power? Mid or high-tier, really. And if you know some interested in low-tier power methods I might want to look into in the future, that's also welcome.
I've heard Advanced Generators is pretty nice for its customisability, expandability, ability to use both basic things (like wood, with some pre-treatment) and advanced ones (like empowered canola oil) for fuel.

Reactions: Drbretto

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I don't think you are looking for Thermal mods, but if you can gate it, Grassoline is a good mid tier power generator. Once cactus is automated, you can set it and forget it and get a nice bit of RF out of it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I think I'm just sticking with what I've got for now. The more I think about it, I think I'm good with just the ExU2 generators and eventually a lightning rod for now, then the rainbow generator I'm working up to once I have the DE energy ball going in full force. This should cover what I'm working on quite nicely, actually, I just need to figure out the best way to get the most out of it all.

So, new question then, what's the most efficient ways you've used those generators? And/or which are more efficient?

Edit: I just noticed that's basically the same question twice, lol. All I wanna know is if anyone knows of any that are more efficient than I'd think.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
So, I'll add that I was kind of impressed with the disenchanting generator, first. I used to think that was completely worthless, now that's how I charge my drill. It's just a really good way to use the otherwise worthless enchanted gold armor mobs drop. But I have an RFtools builder cutting out some underground tunnels for my village and I'm looking for a good, steady and relatively cheap power supply so I can run that separately of my RS machine, which is pretty much maxxing out my canola farm.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
The one time I got the Rainbow Gen up and running, because it ultimately is more of a PITA then the power output if really worth, I went through each of the generators and, using AE2, for them automated. Tricky ones are the potion generator, which can now be done with water bottles no pre-processing needed, and the one that uses dragon's breath, didn't have woot so had to go fight the dragon for a while with an inventory of bottles.
Set them all to a single redstone line so you can turn them off/on at will then once you have each one working connect it so it is off.
Once all are automated flip ze lever and watch the disco light.

My usual mid-game is actually canola. It's easy to automate and back fill and easy to make it clog-proof. Can setup "cells" of 9 generators that will output over 3krf/t and are self feeding so not a drain on the rest of the power network.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The only reason I don't want to go further with canola is that I could probably completely circumvent the whole seed empowering bit by just making more 9x9 autofarms. But there's something "cheaty" about that in my stupid brain (don't take that as me telling anyone else they should feel that way, that's just my hangup). So, I can use a single 9x9 autofarm into barrels to run my early-game stuff and if I want more out of canola, I have to actually rig up the rest. One of these days I might just go an do it, but until then my canola farm caps out at around 300-400/t depending on sunlight.

But, I've never really done the deep dive into ExU2 generators before. In fact, there's probably a record of me whining about wanting to try them out but them no longer being relevant by the time I get to them, so I don't know why I was just complaining about them BEING relevant, lol. I actually had no idea they could get speed upgrades, I thought they were all pretty much 40/t and then later a place to throw your extra end pearls or nether stars when you're already in borderline god mode. But, actually, they're pretty interesting to work with in real time (IE, not as a means to get to the rainbow generator, rather as a means to generate mid-game power as the generators themselves).

For one, it's actually been nice to find a use for some of the extra junk I've hoarded. Stuff I know I'd never use but just can't seem to destroy because who knows if it'll come in handy. And, well, it comes in handy. Especially for jobs where I only need a little bit of power. I can just pull out whatever conventient generator I have and that power is basically free because it's not pulling from the main grid. And not just some measly 40/t, but depending on the fuel type and cheap speed upgrades, they're kicking out 200-800 per tick per machine.

So, what I've done for now is set up my other old favorite with a ranged pump chunkloaded in the nether into an ender tank. Instead of adding to a single power supply, I'm running quarries off a few magmatic generators at 200/t each, plus one heated redstone generator that can add a bonus 800 if I need it and have some spare redstone. I actually find these to be fairly well balanced and interesting to use for now. The fact that they all add up to this kind of neat rainbow generator thing is just a nice bonus.

Actually, honestly, I'm playing this pack with pretty much nothing but the staples that I've always had there and never really dove into and I'm finding they kinda work really well together.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Doing testing with the sap setup, I've discovered that steam is now actively power negative with regards to tree oil setups.

One resonant still is capable of providing enough tree oil for a single resonant compression dynamo converted to steam boiler, which is enough for one resonant steam dynamo converted to steam turbines, which produces 480 RF/t. It is NOT capable of keeping up with the demand of two of them.

So, purely based on Thermal Expansion, steam actually less fuel efficient than straight up power production in the Compression dynamo.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
So!

Back on this for a moment. I have set up my auto disenchanting generator with my mob farm. It's actually pretty effective for powering a drill or something to that effect. But now, the problem is I have to stand near my mob grinder to make it work.

It runs off of cursed earth. Is there any way to make cursed earth think someone is nearby? Or is it high time I start making powered spawners already?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Here's your mid level power generation. I give you... The Lightning Mega-Rod!

This was a direct response to my disappointment with the rainbow generator being broken on my version. I wanted to make a lightning rod array big enough to generate a million RF/tick, literally earning the "mega" modifier. In true American fashion, I still call this a mega rod even though the biggest output I've seen so far is 850k, on account of it being theoretically capable of a million before losses from moving the power, not to mention it's difficult to get them all running all the time.

It has 64 lightning rods, each capable of outputing a Max of 16k/t for up to 16 million each strike. *64 rods, that's 1024. Being that stacks come in 64s, what other number could I possibly use? I could add more, but I actually ended up removing one to stick to 64.

Still counts!

I'll have more thoughts in my showcase, saving the world at large from my long windedness, but here it is! Turn up the volume to really feel the power, lol.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OK, But now what do I do with all that power? lol

I set up aversion obelisks, that was the obvious one. Now I'm free of pests in a huge area.

What else do I spend all dat juice on?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Unfortunately you tend to find that in most tech mods, the amount of power usage you require is a lot less than the power generation capabilities.
As a flat rule, I'd say that either power gen needs to be a tenth of what it is, or power usage needs to be 10x higher.

Theres always this strange need in many players to generate as much power as possible (aka get the biggest numbers possible), then they don't know what to do with it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Well, with this pack, the power was actually pretty well balanced before I broke it. :p

And, this isn't constant power. I don't necessarily need to use up 750k per second. I'm just looking to go ahead and use anything I can think of that requires a lot of power that I might normally not bother with. The obvious one is RFTools dimensions. But there's gotta be more out there, too

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Draconic crafting can eat up quite a bit of power :)

Also some of the quarry set ups can chew through power at a steady pace as well :)