Mid-game (~10KRF/t) power generation - alternatives to Big Reactors?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've build a Big Reactor in every of my last four worlds when I wanted power on that scale. I'd like to do something different this time, preferably without engine spam, meaning that I don't like to build more than about 16 of the same type of generator, unless a bigger build looks really good. I also don't want giant tree farms as a source or something. My power setup needs to be very fuel-efficient unless fuel production itself is very compact (which is the main reason why I couldn't stay away from Big Reactors) and comparably compact. Complex logistics are OK, as long as the facilities stay reasonably compact.

My best option appears to be Extra Utilities' high-temperature furnace generator, but the ftb wiki says it has a critical bug that causes it to consume energy rather than generate it after an internal overflow.

How does everyone else generate power on the 10 KRF/t scale?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I used a mob farm for power at that point. Mob essence and gunpowder in a batch of reactanct dynamos (augmented for power output). Beside that, I had a potion generator (for witch drops), am ender generator (for pearl overstock), and a magma cruvible/heated redstone generator (also for witches).

I used a diamond dolly to move two witch and two (and eventually three) blaze spawners onto cursed earth. Blaze rods make decent solid fuel as well (steam dynamos or furnace generators), and I used them as my primary fuel source until I had a BR turbine running (never made a reactor) off blaze rods in MFR Steam Boilers.

Eventually the blaze rods powering my boilers were replaced by a self sustaining lava system. In retrospect, my lava bucket system generates positive power on any generator that makes more than 2080rf on a bucket of lava, so your choices are quite varied.

Edit: Remember that XU generators can be simplified into 8x and 64x versions, saving the CPU power and floor space.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
You could go the way of IC2 nuclear power gives some very interesting options for construction

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
if your pack has advanced generators give it a look. I really enjoy working with it but I am pretty much early game still.

Reactions: Fuzzbling

boondockArtist

Jul 29, 2019
Or to one-up this, several combinations of reactors+turbines from ReacatorCraft should provide more than enough power for days. It's far more difficult to get these up and running, so it should be a better alternative for you if you feel that Big-Reactors is too easy.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have numbers, but there's always the classic BC Fuel route (compression dynamos use it). :p
I don't know if that produces the kind of power you want, though. Come to think of it, it might not. :/
Other than that... I don't know, mate. :p

EDIT:
You could always go the route of a BR Turbine powered by MFR Steam Generators. That's always cool, and combined with a lava fab you can get continuous, consistent infinite power. :p

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
If you're willing to learn a different power system; the jet engine [RotaryCraft] produces 11kRF/t.
(Jetfuel ingredients are fairly cheap too).​
I've done that in the past, and no doubt I'll do it again some time. Unfortunately, RoC/ReC is its own world, and in my present world I prefer mods to be more integrated with each other. My late-game power generation will use Mekanism's fusion reactor. It's just mid-game I'm wondering what to do. I've been thinking of using Mekanism's gas-burning generator run on Ethylene made from Biomass and hydrogen, but I'd need 32 generators for 10 KRF/t. Maybe if I can arrange them in an aesthetically pleasing setup.... Else I'll have to look into XU's options. I don't like depending on mobtraps for anything so some of the options are out, but we'll see.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
If you're willing to learn a different power system; the jet engine [RotaryCraft] produces 11kRF/t.
(Jetfuel ingredients are fairly cheap too).​

You must be using a very old version.

There is no Jet Engine. The 2 engines that use Jet Fuel are the Microturbine and Gas Turbine. They produce 2 MW and 67MW respectively. This translates to 4k rf/t and 129kRF/t. ( The conversion ratio is 520W to 1 RF/t. )

Even so, you would still need 20+ of the rotational dynamos to convert the power, which was what Ieldra was specifically trying to avoid.

ReC wise for a single thing you would need a Turbine and a Turbine Generator, which would produce a bit shy of 2 million RF/t. Significantly beyond the 10k desired, and much more of a late game rather than mid game.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
*Insert screenshot of ReC fusion reactor running multiple HP turbines*
I've done that, too. You see, the problem is not generating enough power. Eventually I'll get there. It's about an interesting way to generate power until I'm ready for something really big. And please, I've said I won't use RoC or ReC in this world.

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, didn't see that. Maybe some High temperature furnace generators being fed huge amounts of fuel?

Edit: and, you already put that in the intro.

APproject

Jul 29, 2019
I used BC fuel for a while. It is a satisfying way to generate power since it's more involved than ender-pumping lava.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Its unfortunate that midgame power lies on the border between a small Big Reactor (which you are trying to avoid) and engine spam (which you are also trying to avoid).

Something not mentioned thus far is MFR BioFuel. A field of nine different crops (Agricraft + Pam's is awesome here) can feed a BioReactor, which in turn can feed 7 BioFuel Generators for 160rf/t (1120rf/t per BioReactor). Alternatively, you can use the BioFuel in RC HP Boilers (liquid firebox) for steam. A friend has this setup currently, feeding into a BR turbine for 28k/t, but other than BR turbines, steam power at midgame is just more engine spam.

Good luck.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I think the Mekanism wind turbines placed at max altitude gives quite a bit of RF/t each. You'd still need quite a few (~30?) for 10k RF/t, but they seem to be fairly kind to both FPS and TPS. Maybe not that exciting, but it could perhaps be an option. Easily placed out of rendering distance with an angel block and a couple of tesseracts.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I think the Mekanism wind turbines placed at max altitude gives quite a bit of RF/t each. You'd still need quite a few (~30?) for 10k RF/t, but they seem to be fairly kind to both FPS and TPS. Maybe not that exciting, but it could perhaps be an option. Easily placed out of rendering distance with an angel block and a couple of tesseracts.
A completely passive system is worth some generator spam. However, according to the wiki a wind turbine generates a maximum of 200 J/t, which equals 80 RF/t according to the conversion rate I found. Thus I'd need 125 of them for 10 KRF/t. Another thread mentions a maximum output of 800J/t - but that only says something about how fast they output they internal buffer, which can be faster than they generate power. Does anyone know the real numbers?

Also, what's that "1x1x5" space requirement mentioned? A space requirement only along one dimension appears fairly inviting to abuse by generator-spam. Not that I'd do that, but it looks odd.