Methods for keeping an item count (i.e. taking inventory)

jalbee

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to have some sort of way to keep track of the numbers of items I have in my main storage facility and I was wondering what methods are available in the Mindcrack 8.2 modpack.

I built out an item counting system using RP2 Item Detectors and ComputerCraft computers, but I didn't like that solution because of the large number of redstone pulses that could potentially queue up (setting it to emit one redstone pulse for each item could back up very quickly if a lot of full stacks were passing through the detectors).

I imagine the Sortron would also be an alternative solution, but I'm not sure if that would be a manageable solution across a huge number of barrels/digital chests.

If there isn't really a great one out there for Mindcrack, I might just end up adding Applied Energistics, as I get the feeling that it does exactly what I want with a lot less headaches.

QuantumPugilist

Jul 29, 2019
The MiscPeripherals interactive sorter would be an excellent solution without using AE. If Mindcraft has the 3.1 version, it will cast real item IDs, making set-up much simpler.

Just feed the items into the sorter, store the data, and display it somewhere. If you have a particularly large amount of items, it might be worth storing them in a text file to be fetched as needed, so all the data isn't held in memory.

Reactions: jalbee

QuantumPugilist

Jul 29, 2019
That's originally how I was going to do my TurtleDelivery Warehouse; pass everything through an interactive sorter, create a count of what I have, and use that to direct it to the proper row for additional sorting via pipes and barrels.

Now I'm going to try using AE + openCCsensors. Use an inventory sensor on an AE access point, updating the inventory count every X minutes. Though, with AE, its more a "look what I can do!" than any functional purpose.

jalbee

Jul 29, 2019
I'm gonna see if I can get a system running with interactive sorters, computers, digital chests and retrievers (for requesting items). I'm pretty excited, this should be a fun project.