Methane still a good boiler fuel?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dieselfuelonly

Jul 29, 2019
Been playing around with an idea I had for a methane boiler and wanted some feedback.

Usually I run Stevescarts tree farms to fuel my boilers, either through converting saplings into biofuel or cutting up jungle trees into planks. The biofuel boilers work well but need a whole system just to make mulch if you want to make it "no touch". The plank system works well too, but I hate all the Redpower systems spamming of 50 extra stacks just to satisfy a need of 1.

So, I'm back to wanting to set up a liquid-fired system, as they are much easier to expand and upgrade... simply run the pipes and go.

I've never used methane for boiler fuel before but I began designing this system in singleplayer and the first part worked pretty well:

I set up a tier 5 cow spawner. It would be a pain to get in a survival world but with several feed stations breeding cows I don't imagine it would take all that long to get. The cow spawner was directly below a tesla coil. Within about a second or two of the "wave" of cows spawning, the tesla coil obliterates them all. The next wave spawns very quickly afterwards and meets the same fate, rinse and repeat. Although melee turtles would generate XP, I don't think they would kill as fast as the tesla coil does. I can always set up a blaze farm or something else for XP.

Below the cow spawner is a 9x9 pool of water with water in 4 corners. All of the leather and beef gets pushed to the center block. I put a transposer here that sucks up the items that are pushed directly on top of it.

This generated a ton of leather and beef extremely quickly.

Now, comes the part I didn't have time to set up and test, and need some feedback on. I was thinking that I would use redpower tubes to direct the leather to storage for books, and then take the beef and pipe it into a centrifuge. The centrifuge would process the beef into a methane cell. Redpower machines (or maybe buildcraft pipes with gates would be more compact) would extract the methane cell, and put it into a liquid transposer, which would extract the methane from the cell and pump it into a storage tank. Then, the liquid transposer would send the cell back into the centrifuge via buildcraft pipes (since redpower tubes can't connect to the liquid transposer's output face directly).

Obviously from the tank the methane would go to the boilers.

Now comes the question of efficiency, how much methane is a fully-heated 36HP boiler going to consume? Will one centrifuge be enough for 1 (or more) boilers or will this quickly grow into a massive system just to keep one boiler running?

I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas. Thanks!

San

Jul 29, 2019
Methane produces half the heat it used to in a boiler. This arbitrarily large nerf made it pretty much useless.

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Side-note on the mulch thing; compost. Wheat and dirt are infinitely less of a hassle than running a moistener setup. Factorization routers really ease the automation too.

Also mulch bees. :) .. and possibly Apatite bees in the new updates if what I was hearing was correct.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Nerf all the things! Well screw it. Those were the 2 things that I actually wanted to use in gregtech.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Most mod authors seem to get off on nerfing stuff nowadays... :/

Sent from my remote island using smoke signals

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
It's actually quite infuriating. "Hey, they're actually having fun using some part of my mod! I shall destroy their fun!"

That seems to be the logic more often than not.

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
Was there, or is there, a way to get methane that is power positive? I know GregTech adds it in, but it's like anything from GT, a byproduct of something else to get something else to get... and since you got here and have excess, here's something you can kinda do with it. (How it feels to me anyway...)

I would love if MFR would come up with a process using its sewage!

dieselfuelonly

Jul 29, 2019
Well, there goes that idea... damn. So, I guess back to planks or biofuel it is. The problem with biofuel is it takes a fair bit of MJ to produce... with planks, the only machines needed are the sawmills which draw VERY little power.

And on another note.... with the new recommended version, has Minefactory Reloaded been updated with its "new" machines that you can upgrade to expand the size?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Alas, i've heard that the heat value of planks is also being nerfed unnecessarily to the point of being useless. However you can turn the logs into charcoal. With an 11x11 MFR tree farm with redwood trees I was still producing enough wood for 5 36hp boilers at least.

(Note I have only heard about the plank nerf. If its turns out to be false then planks are better).

JuliCash

Jul 29, 2019
MFR farms and harvesters are upgrade-able in 1.5.x I don't know about 1.4.7

they are upgradable in 1.4.7. I have them running for now,
but you need to manual download the latest availible 1.4.7 version, i think the one in the packs is not the latest.

Reactions: RedBoss

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Alas, i've heard that the heat value of planks is also being nerfed unnecessarily to the point of being useless. However you can turn the logs into charcoal. With an 11x11 MFR tree farm with redwood trees I was still producing enough wood for 5 36hp boilers at least.

(Note I have only heard about the plank nerf. If its turns out to be false then planks are better).

I use planks all the time and a sawmill+logs is still better then charcoal. The nerf isnt that bad... 1 charcoal produces 1600 heat. While a plank produces 300 heat... 6x 300 = 1800 Plus the saw dust... So its still better to use planks over charcoal.[DOUBLEPOST=1369747055][/DOUBLEPOST]saw dust is 1/8th of a charcoal which = 200 heat so a total of 2000 heat per log with the sawmill vers just 1600 with charcoal...

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Was there, or is there, a way to get methane that is power positive? I know GregTech adds it in, but it's like anything from GT, a byproduct of something else to get something else to get... and since you got here and have excess, here's something you can kinda do with it. (How it feels to me anyway...)

Methane production in GT is power positive, across the board.

It's just not power positive enough to bother with in any map with solar, and even if you choose not to use solar, biofuel works out as a much better choice (particularly if you're using MFRs reactor)

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
Methane production in GT is power positive, across the board.

It's just not power positive enough to bother with in any map with solar, and even if you choose not to use solar, biofuel works out as a much better choice (particularly if you're using MFRs reactor)
Would you be so kind as to describe how you would make it power positive? Or even a few? What farms/machines would you see as something you would use if you had to?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Would you be so kind as to describe how you would make it power positive? Or even a few? What farms/machines would you see as something you would use if you had to?

Golems require no power, and are the best for melon/pumpkins besides.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I use planks all the time and a sawmill+logs is still better then charcoal. The nerf isnt that bad... 1 charcoal produces 1600 heat. While a plank produces 300 heat... 6x 300 = 1800 Plus the saw dust... So its still better to use planks over charcoal.[DOUBLEPOST=1369747055][/DOUBLEPOST]saw dust is 1/8th of a charcoal which = 200 heat so a total of 2000 heat per log with the sawmill vers just 1600 with charcoal...
Planks have always been 300 heat, I meant they're (supposedly) being lowered to 100 or something else retardedly low.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019

Guessing you mean Redwood from EBXL, cause in the beta Natura's massive redwoods can't be farmed with MFR yet.

Anyway, why an 11x11? I've found that larger farms tend to be slower due to how MFR's harvester seeks blocks to harvest.