Methane Production

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys,

I'm here again to ask what are the possible options for food production to convert it into Methane. I mean, everything from Melons, Pumpkins, Carrots, Potatos, Wheat, Apples to Beef, Fish and Mushroom.

I know a few options for producing those guys:

Forestry Multi-farm: Can produce most of the stuff above, but it's area is really small, the yield is low. I would need a lot of farms for that.

Thaumcraft: Golems can be used with XyCraft soil to improve the speed of the things growing. The downside is the Wooden Golems collect things poorly. I would need a bunch of Wooden Golems with Fast Core and Speed accessories, and making a really large production is a pain. If you put Speed Upgrades in them, then you can't use the Range Upgrade. The biggest downside is that you can't stack them (golems go crazy!)

MineFactory Realoded: Has a really large farm (25x25) with only 2 machines, but it's yield is also low. I would need Fertilizers to power them properly, but I can't keep up with 24/7 fertilizer production (I don't know a way). Also, is the only one who can actually produce Fish and Beef.

Steve's Carts: They are really good for Wood Production, but I tried using them for food and I can't.

What are your thoughts on this subject? How do you mass produce food? How much space does it use (for ChunkLoading purposes).

Exe19

Jul 29, 2019
Add animal farm. Meat is not bad source of methane. Animals also produce sewage that can be turned into MFR fertilizer.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
It sounds like you are on 1.4.7 ultimate pack. Look to the lilypad of fertility. It will boost plant growth. Since ic2 fertilizer can be made woth scrap, use a recycler to power your fertilizer production. The mfr machine can use any type of fertilizer.

Use golems, lilly pad. Use the sc farm with bonemeal from a pulveriser. Use the mfr farm. Use a golem melon or pumpkin farm. Use an mfr farm with ic2 fertilizer. You will have to use multiple avenues of methane production to make it viable.

use a rancher or slaughter house for passive mobs. Set up a egg farm, and use the eggs to grow more chickens to kill. Stay away from the fisher though. At best it is break even with the energy requirement.

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking also for the most compact build, and the one that yields the most resources out of it.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Methane is from Gregtech. There is nothing small, nor compact, nor simple with GT.

People have reported good success with a golem powered pumpkin farms, although they do take up a bit of space.

If you are wanting compact, you can use a RP2 farm with a deployer replanting potatoes/carrots and using bone meal to insta-grow, then a block-breaker to harvest. You will need a good supply of bone meal to do this though.

You could also use a tier 5 zombie shard and use the rotten flesh to power the farm.

That's about as compact of a farm you can make for generating resources to make into methane.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Methane is power positive, but the opportunity cost of not doing something better is pretty high.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
You forgot using turtles. If you get them to havest/plant pants within their reach without using power, then get them to deposit into an ender chest above/below them, it could be a viable, no power option.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
You forgot using turtles. If you get them to havest/plant pants within their reach without using power, then get them to deposit into an ender chest above/below them, it could be a viable, no power option.

No. You forget that actually converting it to methane is costly.

Regardless of what input you use, it costs 25k EU in order to receive the 45k EU methane. Like I said, it's power positive, but there are so many better options that you lose due to opportunity cost. Methane is only a good choice if you get methane (or hydrogen) from some other process as a side result.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019

Regardless of what input you use, it costs 25k EU in order to receive the 45k EU methane. Like I said, it's power positive, but there are so many better options that you lose due to opportunity cost. Methane is only a good choice if you get methane (or hydrogen) from some other process as a side result.

Referring to OP, not you.

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
I enjoy building every single kind of energy kind out there, so I always have a backup plan no matter what happens. So, I can have a Tier 5 Soul Shard (zombie or spiders) feeding my centrifuges with the stuff. That seems a good solution, that efficient. Which other solution actually produces a lot of the listed resources?

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
scrap + ic2 fertilizer = more ic2 fertilizer.

ic2 fertilizer goes in MFR fertilizer machine to instagrow crops like bonemeal

cannot think of an easier way than that system + mfr harvester and planter - maybe if you took the time to breed IC2 crops to something like 20 growth and gain. Then you could have them planted in sticks (don't need to replant) and just use the MFR harvester to grab them when they are grown.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019

Actually, if you use the new(ish) GT steam generator upgrades, methane becomes a pretty good (though, by no means particularly great) source of power.

To elaborate; The steam generator upgrade basically makes whatever machine you put it on accept steam as well as EU, converting the steam into EU at a 2mb => 1 EU ratio. A cell of methane in a max sized steam boiler is capable of producing 135,000 mb of steam, which with steam generator upgrades is equivalent to a lovely 67,500 EU, thus allowing a centrifuge to instead make a profit of 42,500 eu, slightly more then double its normal yield.
Though, unless you power your entire base off of steam directly, it's probably more useful to instead say that a cell of methane from a centrifuge will yield a profit of 85,000 mb of steam, which can be converted into 17,000 MJ in steam engines or 53,125 eu in steam turbines. (turbine value based on railcraft version 7.2.0.0)

Wakoo

Jul 29, 2019
i have this setup and it's powering my entire base, it goes really fast if you use more than one gearbox on the farm:
NxTk6y9.jpg

lilypads of fertility and xycraft soil. i have 4 gearboxes bellow pumping power into the farm then i turn the reed into plant balls and them compress them (not sure if that helps or not but compressed plant balls yield more biomass i think) i also use the same system to power 36 bio-generators for EU (but i don't really use a lot of EU so meh)

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
i have this setup and it's powering my entire base, it goes really fast if you use more than one gearbox on the farm:
NxTk6y9.jpg

lilypads of fertility and xycraft soil. i have 4 gearboxes bellow pumping power into the farm then i turn the reed into plant balls and them compress them (not sure if that helps or not but compressed plant balls yield more biomass i think) i also use the same system to power 36 bio-generators for EU (but i don't really use a lot of EU so meh)

That is actually a really good combination and it looks pretty as well. Never thought of that.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
What's up with that lilypads? Never knew you could use them for something other then walking over water?!

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Can you make Methane out of sugar canes? But anyway, I can use this combination to have a super-hyper-mega fast farm =]