Mekanism Help!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SwiftLilEagle

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to do Mekanism ore tripling with advanced factories, all max speed and energy efficiency. Does anybody know how many electrolytic seperators that's going to take me? I'm currently using about 20 and I am nowhere near making enough oxygen for the purification factory :/

Any help appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
I gave up trying. I was up to nine separators trying to supply a base purifier.

An elite factory? As a guess? Well, 9x Speed Upgrade claims 1000% increase in speed (see link, below). That makes for 10 separators. An elite factory is nine purifiers. So... 90?

The Mekanism Speed Upgrade wiki page claims "(For machines that use gasses) Machines consume gasses based on how long they are running. that means using speed upgrades will increase the gas efficiency", which is either outdated or the product of a confused understanding. Purification presently takes 200 units of oxygen, regardless of speed.

I had some success stockpiling tanks of oxygen, which allowed the setup to run for (somewhat) extended periods, but eventually would trickle and slowdown.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I had 9 separators going making hydrogen for power and only one dedicated to oxygen. I made 4 gas tanks and put them in series. I manually switched all the separators to not dump oxygen to initially fill the tanks and just left one running once they were full. The tanks seemed to create enough of a buffer to not run out while processing and then refill before I needed it again. Once or twice I did have to switch more than one back to collecting oxygen under really long term use, but your processing line usually gets enough down time that the tanks work well. I don't think making it on demand is feasible.

SwiftLilEagle

Jul 29, 2019
I had 9 separators going making hydrogen for power and only one dedicated to oxygen. I made 4 gas tanks and put them in series. I manually switched all the separators to not dump oxygen to initially fill the tanks and just left one running once they were full. The tanks seemed to create enough of a buffer to not run out while processing and then refill before I needed it again. Once or twice I did have to switch more than one back to collecting oxygen under really long term use, but your processing line usually gets enough down time that the tanks work well. I don't think making it on demand is feasible.

I can always try :p
Do you know how much energy one electrolytic takes by the way? Because either my energy cables arent good enough, i.e. I need more tesseracts, or 3 stacks of wind turbines at maximum height arent enough to run 20 electrolytic seperators o_O

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I can always try :p
Do you know how much energy one electrolytic takes by the way? Because either my energy cables arent good enough, i.e. I need more tesseracts, or 3 stacks of wind turbines at maximum height arent enough to run 20 electrolytic seperators o_O
That I don't know. It depends on what version you are on also. It has been nerfed since the 1.6.4 versions I played to make hydrogen power less cheap. Not sure how that affects oxygen generation.

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
Check the bottom-left tab thingie on the separator, it should give you the power consumption per tick, and how much power it needs to fill the internal battery.

Mine reads 1600RF/tick. Of that, you'll get back 800 from burning the hydrogen. You may be using different units, but presumably the 2:1 ratio will remain the same. (One would hope so, at any rate!)

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
I always buffer Mekanism stuff. I constantly have gas cans filling with order to run the purifier on demand. Also, I only run the purifier at half the speed of the rest of the machines in the line. Unless you split out to multiple factories of each type the rest of the factories can't keep up if the purifier is at max speed.

SwiftLilEagle

Jul 29, 2019
I always buffer Mekanism stuff. I constantly have gas cans filling with order to run the purifier on demand. Also, I only run the purifier at half the speed of the rest of the machines in the line. Unless you split out to multiple factories of each type the rest of the factories can't keep up if the purifier is at max speed.
I fixed my system, and it keeps up quite well :O
I also use max speed factories for everything else, too :/

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If this is 1.7 you need to update Mek, at one point it was "bugged" and you needed 20 Electrolytic Seps just to run 1 purification chamber with 9/9 upgrades in it (nvm factories). Although in fixing that they went the completely opposite way and now it doesn't consume any oxygen in the process :D

Reactions: E_DM_B

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
If this is 1.7 you need to update Mek, at one point it was "bugged" and you needed 20 Electrolytic Seps just to run 1 purification chamber with 9/9 upgrades in it (nvm factories). Although in fixing that they went the completely opposite way and now it doesn't consume any oxygen in the process :D

What? This doesnt sound right because I am on the most current version of Mek (Mekanism-1.7.10-7.1.0.92) and my purification chamber ran out of oxygen last night because I let the hydrogen buffer tank get filled up. Ive been waiting for an update because some of the power gen/consumption seems a bit off. Things have a very annoying tendency to stop and start while it gets fed a miniscule amount of whatever gas it needs. While I type this it occurs to me that it would really pay to make more buffer tanks and go afk to let them fill up before I even try to start using anything. So I guess the changes arent entirely bad, it just requires a little bit more thought than the last version. Ive read a lot of people whining about not being able to charge their jetpacks efficiently but I figured out an alternative to that one myself. Just make a second one, and always leave one to charge. I love mek jetpacks except for the lack of forward momentum.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I changed the config for hydro/oxy energy split (can't remember what it's actually called) from 2000 to 20.8.
20.8 is a full basic energy cube, and this will fill a single gas tank. It's still slow to fill (so 2 jetpacks "trick") but feels about right to me. More expensive than the 1.6 days, but not as crazy as default.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
What? This doesnt sound right because I am on the most current version of Mek (Mekanism-1.7.10-7.1.0.92) and my purification chamber ran out of oxygen last night because I let the hydrogen buffer tank get filled up.

I'm using dev builds Mekanism-1.7.10-7.1.1.105 definitely has the no oxygen usage issue (the nice issue) which I believe is still evident in Mekanism-1.7.10-7.1.1.118. Prior to 105 was the massive amount of oxygen usage with more than 5 speed upgrades.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
What? This doesnt sound right because I am on the most current version of Mek (Mekanism-1.7.10-7.1.0.92) and my purification chamber ran out of oxygen last night because I let the hydrogen buffer tank get filled up. Ive been waiting for an update because some of the power gen/consumption seems a bit off. Things have a very annoying tendency to stop and start while it gets fed a miniscule amount of whatever gas it needs. While I type this it occurs to me that it would really pay to make more buffer tanks and go afk to let them fill up before I even try to start using anything. So I guess the changes arent entirely bad, it just requires a little bit more thought than the last version. Ive read a lot of people whining about not being able to charge their jetpacks efficiently but I figured out an alternative to that one myself. Just make a second one, and always leave one to charge. I love mek jetpacks except for the lack of forward momentum.
Jetpacks fill really fast if you put them in a tank instead of trying to use the separator. They hold several jetpacks worth of gas.

SwiftLilEagle

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, I just made more seperators + a backup of about 32 tanks + 1 big reactor + 8 turbines :D
#problemsolvingbyoverkilling

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Jetpacks fill really fast if you put them in a tank instead of trying to use the separator. They hold several jetpacks worth of gas.

Yeah, sure. But the one in the separator is charged fully by the time the second one runs low, even with the separator not running at full power and hogging all your energy. Jetpacks are cheap, its easy to make a second one.

SwiftLilEagle

Jul 29, 2019
ya but why carry an extra jetpack around when instead you can carry a fuel tank. If you go exploring, you can explore longer with a tank than with an extra jetpack. Not to mention having an extra jetpack is kinda useless if you have a tank becaues you're not gonna go running around with one jetpack while the other charges (kinda useless)