Mekanism 101 Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I've recently decided to try the Ampz pack and am fooling around with Mekanism when I've noticed something... odd. I've started with a Heat Generator (HG) and created a Metallic Infuser (MI). When placing the MI next to the HG, I find that the MI isn't getting any power despite being on the correct side (the flat side with the hole) of the HG. I checked in Creative and was able to hook up a UE Cable between the two and the power flows just fine. Considering Steel is necessary to make UE Cable and I need a MI to make Steel, I'm kind of at Point Stuck. Solutions would be wonderful. Thanks.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'd almost want to ask the FTB wiki team to make a wiki for Universal Electricity, because they're already doing a great job with the FTB wiki, but I know that asking them this would basically mean they'd be stuck to their computer for the next 3 years figuring everything out from the UE mods :(

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
UPDATE: A bit of a warning - if you are going to use Copper Wire to hook up your initial MI/HG, only let the wire stay on long enough to quickly charge the MI, then break it. The Copper Wire CAN catch fire (don't know if from Lava or Overheat). Thankfully, I found this out running test in my Creative Lab.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
UPDATE: A bit of a warning - if you are going to use Copper Wire to hook up your initial MI/HG, only let the wire stay on long enough to quickly charge the MI, then break it. The Copper Wire CAN catch fire (don't know if from Lava or Overheat). Thankfully, I found this out running test in my Creative Lab.
universal cable to the rescue!

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
universal cable to the rescue!
Once you get your first 2 steel, yes. But seeing as I (and possibly some people) have a "bug" with UE that won't connect the HG to the MI when they're right next to each other (and facing the correct directions), the Copper Wire is a Temporary Quick-Start-Fix.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Once you get your first 2 steel, yes. But seeing as I (and possibly some people) have a "bug" with UE that won't connect the HG to the MI when they're right next to each other (and facing the correct directions), the Copper Wire is a Temporary Quick-Start-Fix.
what`s the deal with first 2 steel? shouldnt ampz have 1 iron+4 coal=steal dust=>furnace=steal recipe?

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
what`s the deal with first 2 steel? shouldnt ampz have 1 iron+4 coal=steal dust=>furnace=steal recipe?

Coal: Iron is 1:1 when creating Steel. The 4:1 ratio you are thinking of is Charcoal. And you still need to put it in a Metallic Infuser (MI) to make it Steel Dust. This requires power.

As far as I know, starting power for UE is the Heat Generator (HG). However, I've found a bug where the Output Face of the HG will NOT connect directly to a MI, but it will connect to Copper Wire (CW) or Universal Cable (UC). However, since UC requires Steel to make, CW must be used to bridge between the two machines as a temp "duct-tape-and-sticks" fix until you can make the inital 2 Steel to make the UC and permanentally (until you upgrade your power situation) bridge the gap between the MI and the HG.

It says on ALL Wikis that the HG can connect to machines directly to give them power. I'm saying that in the 1.5.2 Ampz pack that is currently out on the FTB Launcher, that it is "bugged" and WILL NOT output power DIRECTLY to a machine. In other words, the green power bar will not go up on the MI unless there is a cable/wire in between it and the HG. Hope this clears up what I'm trying to convey.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
i cannot test the situation with ampz in particular because the mod pack simply crashes, but i`m pretty sure ampz should have AS, which has recipe for steel described above. if not i dont really see an issue for using copper as band-aid to connect heat gen to infuser, just dont burn it with lava.

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
i cannot test the situation with ampz in particular because the mod pack simply crashes, but i`m pretty sure ampz should have AS, which has recipe for steel described above. if not i dont really see an issue for using copper as band-aid to connect heat gen to infuser, just dont burn it with lava.

Forge Error, you have to download 2 libraries to fix it. After that, it'll work just fine. Dunno where they are. Thread somewhere on here has it.

And yeah, Copper Wire temp band-aid works fine and is flammable like I said earlier. Just was posting the extra bits for people looking to start up on Ampz with the same bug.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Forge Error, you have to download 2 libraries to fix it. After that, it'll work just fine. Dunno where they are. Thread somewhere on here has it.

And yeah, Copper Wire temp band-aid works fine and is flammable like I said earlier. Just was posting the extra bits for people looking to start up on Ampz with the same bug.
if i have to do that in order to make that thing working it doesnt qualify as a working mod pack for me then.

it`s a bit of authenticity for you, so it kinda make perfect sense. just use burnable fuel for heat gen until you make your UC.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
It really is unfortunately that the Universal Electricity development team hasn't tried to do more to keep some kind of documentation on their mods' collective functionalities, for the sake of their community.

Reactions: Greyed

ThrillBird

Jul 29, 2019
Coal: Iron is 1:1 when creating Steel. The 4:1 ratio you are thinking of is Charcoal. And you still need to put it in a Metallic Infuser (MI) to make it Steel Dust. This requires power.
What Loufmier is talking about is the crafting recipe for steel dust. If you surround a piece of iron with 4 coal, making a + shape, you get 2 steel dust which can then be smelted.

0C0
CIC
0C0

Where 0 is nothing, C is coal and I is iron. That's the recipe, makes 2 steel dust. At least this worked in the 2.0.4 version of ampz/voltz, in case someone reads this when another version is out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
What Loufmier is talking about is the crafting recipe for steel dust. If you surround a piece of iron with 4 coal, making a + shape, you get 2 steel dust which can then be smelted.

I think that recipe is actually from AssemblyLine, which from what I remember was made inactive towards the end of the 1.5 development cycle. I don't know if the most recent version of Ampz includes it or not, but if not it may explain the missing recipe.