Mech's FTB Ultimate Biofuel Energy Base

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I C U R NT USIN GRGTCH!
The only reason I would play Ultimate again is to ENJOY GregTech ;)

But your builds seem to be looking good, can't wait to see it finished :)

Gregtech is there, I just changed some config settings so it's a much less annoying mod:
  • Bronze recipe gives original result of 4 ingots rather than being nerfed right down to 1 ingot.
  • Tin cells give original result of 16 cells rather than 4.
  • Original solar panel, windmill and watermill recipes.
  • Mass fabricator enabled.
I would've tried to play the game with the mass fabricator disabled, but it's pretty stupid because you need iridium for the matter fabricator which is really only viable from bee breeding or UU-matter, which UU-matter is impossible since you need the matter fabricator to do it. Not sure, I may still aim for the matter fabricator as a challenge.

Reactions: RedBoss

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I would've tried to play the game with the mass fabricator disabled, but it's pretty stupid because you need iridium for the matter fabricator which is really only viable from bee breeding or UU-matter, which UU-matter is impossible since you need the matter fabricator to do it. Not sure, I may still aim for the matter fabricator as a challenge.

IIRC you're meant to get it from one of the ores from the end. May also be able to get it from another ore but I don't remember ultimate well.

Reactions: TheMechEngineer

EmilioRodgers

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech is there, I just changed some config settings so it's a much less annoying mod:
  • Bronze recipe gives original result of 4 ingots rather than being nerfed right down to 1 ingot.
  • Tin cells give original result of 16 cells rather than 4.
  • Original solar kits, windmill and watermill recipes.
  • Mass fabricator enabled.
Thanks for sharing out the configuration settings which you have changed.. I hope these settings work well.. Even I will try them now..

Last edited:

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Yesterday I tore down the old factory building because it was too similar to the one I built in my old world and wasn't interesting enough.
The new one has taken a fair while to build so far and it's a long way off completion, but already it's looking far better and it's actually more functional too.
It's quite pale-looking because there's a lot of microblock slabs, but fixing that shouldn't be a problem.

H8GXA76.png

LdPjx6d.png

HDBKYCk.png

A9SXYyH.png

Reactions: pc_assassin

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Note sure how I feel about the windows, they look too delicate to be part of the factory. I think the floor and walls look great together, bit too pale on the outside IMO but perfect on the inside.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Note sure how I feel about the windows, they look too delicate to be part of the factory. I think the floor and walls look great together, bit too pale on the outside IMO but perfect on the inside.

Yeah I reckon the pale look can be fixed, it just needs some accenting materials. I'm thinking maybe some sandstone or something similar on the outside would made decent highlights, or I could go darker with something else. Not sure yet because I've just been working on the structure itself and making a good interior layout. But all the floors are done and the whole thing is working out better than I expected.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I reckon the pale look can be fixed, it just needs some accenting materials. I'm thinking maybe some sandstone or something similar on the outside would made decent highlights, or I could go darker with something else. Not sure yet because I've just been working on the structure itself and making a good interior layout. But all the floors are done and the whole thing is working out better than I expected.
Yeah, I would recommend some spruce wood if you want to stick to a wooden and stone theme.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Alright so the factory building is about 90% complete at the front now and it's looking much better after I started work on the roof.
There is a lot of large glass sections but I'm not really concerned about it, the benefit of having the large windows at the front is that I can afford to have less windows in other areas of the factory. So it's more or less a design feature that fools the eye, I guess you'd say. The fact that there's less windows elsewhere will help a lot when it comes to adding machines, which is a problem that I've had in other FTB factories I've made. Normally in the past I've just had windows everywhere, and machines are best placed up against solid walls.
I may actually take a break from the building stuff soon because it's coming up to the time when I need to start planning out the biofuel factory and other tech-related stuff.

sk95dGQ.png

K2Fz1zZ.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1413373001][/DOUBLEPOST]Blasting out two large underground rooms (this is one of them) directly below the factory building.
One room will contain the biofuel processing factory itself and the other will contain all the energy production related stuff such as steam boilers, EU turbines, industrial steam engine arrays and all that cool stuff.
I'm planning it so that all the MFR, Thermal Expansion and IndustrialCraft machines are on the main floor of the factory building so that they're easily accessible.

01k9MFJ.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1413453881,1413367084][/DOUBLEPOST]This is where things start to get interesting, the majority of the infrastructure is in place so it's possible now to start adding actual tech stuff.

Relocated and redesigned Factorization solar array:

6ScVUFb.png

eEp47BY.png

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Factory looks good man.

I'm a bit concerned that its too small but I have no idea how much you plan on sticking underground. That said, my rule of thumb is always "you made it too small."

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
What texture pack is that? And there is Iridium Ore in the Overworld, but finding it is a bit of a pain.

Thanks guys!

Yep it's Sphax with the Feed The Beast patch, it's pretty good.

I actually have already found one iridium ore in a ravine, but I heard something about Fortune working on it so I haven't got it yet. I have enchanting up and running so I'll be getting a Fortune pick soon enough.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I don't recall it working with Fortune, but it's been a long time. Probably worth trying. Ravines are where I always found them, or in Mineshafts. Quarrying never seemed to turn up any or just one.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I don't recall it working with Fortune, but it's been a long time. Probably worth trying. Ravines are where I always found them, or in Mineshafts. Quarrying never seemed to turn up any or just one.

Yeah I must've misread the wiki, it says using silk touch on the iridium ore block and putting it in a macerator yields two iridium ore (which is ore but not the ore block...weird). I might test if fortune works, but if it doesn't then silk touch is the plan.[DOUBLEPOST=1413504684][/DOUBLEPOST]
Factory looks good man.

I'm a bit concerned that its too small but I have no idea how much you plan on sticking underground. That said, my rule of thumb is always "you made it too small."

It's going to be a bit of an iceberg theme where the above-ground space is only a small percentage of the whole thing. There's going to be a stack of levels underneath, so starting from ground level and going down it'll be:
  • GROUND LEVEL = Room for machines, furnaces, maybe some Applied Energistics.
  • LEVEL 1 = The power room, contains biofuel steam boilers, EU turbines, industrial steam engines to make MJ power.
  • LEVEL 2 = The biofuel factory level, contains the Railcraft tanks, fermenters, stills, engines and control room.
  • LEVEL 3 = The Forestry automatic sugarcane farms.
I used that same layout in my old world and it worked like you wouldn't believe, because each level takes the resources from the one below and converts it into something else, so sugarcane => biofuel => power => machines.
I'll be improving as much as possible on the old layout because now I know what I need, it's just a matter of planning it out better.
I might post up some pictures of the old world later.[DOUBLEPOST=1413537239,1413497316][/DOUBLEPOST]I've been spending time perfecting the look of the house and Tower Of Power, and it's much better now without all that poverty-spec cobblestone.

Also sit-rep on the biofuel, I'm not too far off making my first bucket using just a small setup to get things started.

w6k1pte.png

ciHymNY.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1413598366][/DOUBLEPOST]Updated the design of the factory now as well, the cobblestone has the right shade of grey so I decided to use it:

hDsp8DJ.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1413606884][/DOUBLEPOST]BIOFUEL!!!
Just a small setup to get things started.

7JjRYG3.png

Last edited:

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
What engines are you using on the biofuel?

Just some poverty-level Stirling engines for now, only because Redwood trees are easy to make and they give you wood for days. They're slow as heck but on the factory setup I'll be using biogas engines running on biomass.
Although that being said it's on the To Do list to set up some peat bogs so it'll be viable to run peat engines, I might try starting on that now actually.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I love the look of the factory so far.
Peat bogs are pretty fun to build with pistons and some redpower machines.

Yeah I must've misread the wiki, it says using silk touch on the iridium ore block and putting it in a macerator yields two iridium ore (which is ore but not the ore block...weird)

You're best bet is probably the industrial grinder; its a macerator on steroids.