ME uses too much power

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
That is a really big image file that loads really slowly on my iPad. I see TE ducts, so you are on the older version of AE. I do not see the entirety of your ME system. As each component connected, including cables, adds to the power requirements, I can't guess how much power it needs. You should be able to right click on the controller to see just what is attached & how much power it wants.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
You can switch which unit of power the system shows power usage in. You ahould be able to get it to tell you how much RF/t it's using. But as others have said, each thing in the ME System uses some power. Try and use the shortest route possible with your me cables and ensure there aren't any dead ends that don't actually do anything.

Other than that I don't know what else I can suggest other than give it more power.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
ok i got 6 magmatics connected to this ME system and still it sometimes powers down how much does this sh*t take xD
It's been a while since I used TE conduits, but shouldn't they be connected to the other ("thin") side of the engines?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
The Dynamos definately look upside down to me. But I can't tell for sure
Yeah, they are definitely upside down. You'd be able to see a little bit of the coil if they were the right way up.

Smack them with a crescent hammer until the red part is connected to the conduits

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
These ratios are for AE2 but should still be good for AE1. http://ae-mod.info/Energy-Acceptor/

The AE system shown is using 86 AE/t which is 43 RF/t.
TE Magmatics generate 80RF/t so just one should be able to power the AE system.

43RF/t is just 3 more than the entry level TE generators produce (40RF/t iirc) which strongly implies that the 'magmatics' shown are not connected properly and there is a single 40RF/t generator "somewhere" that is the actual supplier, and the slight power discrepancy would explain the behaviour of the system.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
ok i got 6 magmatics connected to this ME system and still it sometimes powers down how much does this sh*t take xD here some screens
http://i.imgur.com/DFuL0u1.png
This looks like it is AE1 from the NEI and setup. As such you should be aware that the energy requirement listed in the Controller is just the current energy needed. If nothing is going on in the network at present then this is just what is required to keep all the devices, cables, bus etc. powered. But in-/outputting, crafting etc. all require power per operation and this might explain why your system goes dark at certain times.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Am I the only one who rigs their ME system to be offline by default except when you're standing at a terminal or its busy crafting something? :p

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one who rigs their ME system to be offline by default except when you're standing at a terminal or its busy crafting something? :p
Maybe not the only one, but my ME system is a central repository of all things that I do and everything in my base relies on it to be active all the time. In addition, with AE2 (may it develop boils that burst), it takes several seconds for channels to be recognized on long wire runs and having to wait to turn it on AND activate everything downstream would contribute to the slow destruction of my soul (and monitor). :)

No, I really cannot imagine that being a frequently used rig past early, early, early, early game. :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Maybe not the only one, but my ME system is a central repository of all things that I do and everything in my base relies on it to be active all the time. In addition, with AE2 (may it develop boils that burst), it takes several seconds for channels to be recognized on long wire runs and having to wait to turn it on AND activate everything downstream would contribute to the slow destruction of my soul (and monitor). :)

No, I really cannot imagine that being a frequently used rig past early, early, early, early game. :)
Yeah your setup definitely wouldn't benefit. Mine's purely for storage and autocrafting, and zero automation of things going in and out. I have a single import bus which simply lets me dump stuff into a chest and have it sucked in :p

Ok I may be the worst AE2 user ever. And you're right about the slow startup times (on servers anyway, I don't really notice it in single player)

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah your setup definitely wouldn't benefit. Mine's purely for storage and autocrafting, and zero automation of things going in and out. I have a single import bus which simply lets me dump stuff into a chest and have it sucked in :p

Ok I may be the worst AE2 user ever. And you're right about the slow startup times (on servers anyway, I don't really notice it in single player)
I doubt you are the worst. I just keep running into things that frustrate me about AE2 that strike me as different/complex for the sake of making people who whined about AE1 being too easy shut up. Or something.

The slow startup thing is likely my own fault. My base is a 'ship' loosely based on the idea of an XCom alien craft, essentially a pair of big torus stacked on each other with a 66 block diameter (or there abouts...took a while to build). I have two dense cables stretching around the outside edge so that I can automate into an out of the system (no loop, the ends don't connect). Whenever I add a new cable (usually a smart one) to the dense line it can take up to 2 minutes for a channel to become available. I seriously don't want to consider how much time it would take if I didn't keep the system running full time.

Reactions: Beeze23 and Pyure

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah totally agree. Everything in my bases is fully automated and rely on my ME network running all the time. There is hundreds of things going on at every moment somewhere in the network. Stopping the network would have loads of negative effects on things everywhere and something as simple as moving storages around is something I have to plan and execute very precisely(to avoid having piles of items spilled out somewhere and other piles of new items autocrafted etc. to keep stock).

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I doubt you are the worst. I just keep running into things that frustrate me about AE2 that strike me as different/complex for the sake of making people who whined about AE1 being too easy shut up. Or something.

The slow startup thing is likely my own fault. My base is a 'ship' loosely based on the idea of an XCom alien craft, essentially a pair of big torus stacked on each other with a 66 block diameter (or there abouts...took a while to build). I have two dense cables stretching around the outside edge so that I can automate into an out of the system (no loop, the ends don't connect). Whenever I add a new cable (usually a smart one) to the dense line it can take up to 2 minutes for a channel to become available. I seriously don't want to consider how much time it would take if I didn't keep the system running full time.
You can probably benefit from using subnets where the access/crafting subnet is inactive until you need it

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
You can probably benefit from using subnets where the access/crafting subnet is inactive until you need it
Possible, but not practical without a significant redesign. Part of the system ejects ores to be quintupled as they come in from my mining laser. Worst case I have one ore about every 10 seconds. That can cause a cascade of events if the amount of ingots goes over certain set limits.