Mathwiz617's Last Gasp 1.7.10 build journal

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
2016-11-05_01.55.09.png

Well, here we are, in what might be my last 1.7.10 world. I made a personal modpack a while ago, and have been tweaking it for a few months. Yesterday, I got tired of restarting every friggin' time I changed mods, so I finalized the mod list, generated an ATG world, and started to explore.

I soon realized something, though - with nobody else enjoying this world, it wasn't going to last long. So, unable to record video due to my laptop being old, I decided to take screenshots instead.

I'm normally your typical "build a hut for saftey, spread out from there" type builder, so I wanted to do something else for this world. I settled on the easiest option I could think of: use the natural caves. Yep, I'm trying for an Etho-style man-cave. Fortunately for me, my pack includes Reika's Cave Control, with cave generation turned WAY up. Double density caves, 4.0 dungeon spawn factor, and 3.0 ravine spawn factor. (Yeah, I originally used this to find Chromaticraft's in-cave structures, but I ended up removing Chromaticraft.)

So, I picked a cave next to spawn and started lighting it up. Actually, I explored the world a bit first, got a bed, a sleeping bag, and found a Thaumcraft structure with some goodies, but then I began my decent.

2016-11-05_01.55.50.png

5 hours and countless torches later, and I doubt I'm 1% done.

Now, any good man-cave must have some self-imposed rules. Mine are as follows:

1. Torches are temporary! All finished areas must be lit through other methods.

2. No exposed gravel in finished areas.

3. Only two JourneyMap waypoints allowed inside the cave at a time, whether the area is finished or not. The waypoint at the entrance does not count. Before I make another waypoint, I must delete one of the existing two.
3a. No teleportation to waypoints inside the cave. Teleportation to the entrance is allowed from anywhere.

4. No exposed wires, cables, etc. RotaryCraft is the exception here, though I should still try to hide what I can.

5. Avoid fall damage at all costs! Finished areas must be accessible without feather falling, and without a single point of fall damage.

Mod list can be found here: http://pastebin.com/pRFvnpY0

Last edited:

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
Didn't plan to update this so soon, but I found something cool while exploring the surface today:

2016-11-05_11.19.16.png

So, I started Botania, just enough to get an endoflame and a mana tablet for my cave. Yeah, that's a stroke of luck, even though it was just three flowers (one daybloom, two nightshade). I built a little AFK hut nearby, too.

2016-11-05_13.27.19.png

I also enchanted a diamond pickaxe, and got the fortune 3 that I wanted. Too bad I also got auto-smelt. I also took some dark steel from a blacksmith, a tinker's villager's obsidian binding, and a stick to make the other pick, along with a shed emerald to make the silky jewel. Villagers FTW!

Umm... I'm not sure if I should even put this here, but since 1.7.10 is on its way out, I might as well note: Fortune 3 + auto-smelt will get you more than one stone block dropped per stone block broken. It's a bug, yes, but not a big, abusable one, AFAIK. Even if I could abuse it, I will try not to. Cheating is an easy way to get me to quit.

That being said, I did turn off mobGreifing. One creeper exploding by my chests is one too many, thank you very much.

Reactions: JaRyCu

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Don't get used to primus flowers, or even regular dayblooms and nightshades. Vazkii had completely removed them from the current versions of the game.

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
Don't get used to primus flowers, or even regular dayblooms and nightshades. Vazkii had completely removed them from the current versions of the game.
Yeah, I know. I'm testing a prospective 1.10.2 pack, too. I just wanted to use those flowers because they were there. I'm not relying on them, though, they were just a start.

Besides, two nightshades and a daybloom? That's not much mana very fast, even if they are primus flowers.

Reactions: JaRyCu

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
So, I'm having trouble coming up with a decoration theme. Anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to keep the natural cave terrain, but am open to most block palates.

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
Hmm... that sounds workable. Railcraft trains running everywhere, a few dug out "office" areas, maybe even a large ore processing building out front.

I'm not going to quarry the overworld, or the Nether, but RFtools dimensions are fair game. Also, I put the mod list in the OP.

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
Ok, I've been mulling over how to produce power in this pack, as my initial goal when making it was to involve Rotarycraft as much as possible. Well, in short, I'm going to add Pam's Harvestcraft to the pack, too, mostly for toast. However, I feel that culinary generators are overdone, so I'll be feeding the toast to a gourmaryllis. Half of the mana will be turned into RF to power two redstone furnaces.

How does this relate to Rotarycraft? Well, the grinder makes 4 flour per wheat, as opposed to the sag mill's 2. Double the toast, double the power! Not only that, but the grinder, pump, and fan can all be run off of steam engines, which are essentially input-free.

Reactions: Dmyster

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
You know what I did when creating this pack? I customized the oregen to be only Reika's ores. What I didn't know was that Electricraft and Reactorcraft don't add lead.

Yeah, I'm going to fix that, then create a new world. Goals will be the same, but this time, it'll be possible to achieve them.

... Then again, it'll be an interesting challenge, not using lead. I'll try without, then retro gen ores if I ABSOLUTELY need it. Or perhaps add a minetweaker recipe for it.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you want to go totally berserk, you can feed wheat through the grinder, then the flour through a food boosted Redstone Furnace. So you end up with 16 toast from one wheat.

No exposed gravel... does that count gravel under Rails?

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
If you want to go totally berserk, you can feed wheat through the grinder, then the flour through a food boosted Redstone Furnace. So you end up with 16 toast from one wheat.

No exposed gravel... does that count gravel under Rails?

That's why I'm powering the redstone furnaces. I was going to use itemducts, but no lead means I'll either need lumium glass or Rotarycraft blast glass. EDIT: Hooray for EnderIO conduits!

Also, yes, all visible gravel will be picked up and stuffed into a cache. That includes that under rails or water. This will not only get rid of what I think is the ugliest block in the game, but will expand the amount of cave I have to work with, reveal hidden ores, and give me lots of concrete to play with, should I want it.

Last edited:

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
2016-11-11_01.30.17.png

Still gotta pretty it up, but here's the mana/power gen I whipped up. One steam engine powers a pump, which provides that and five others with water. Another powers a fan, blowing wheat into a vacuum chest. The wheat is moved into the grinder, powered without gearboxes by the other four steam engines, to be turned into flour (x4 per wheat). Then, the flour is doubled, then doubled again, in trivection-upgraded redstone furnaces. This toast (16 pieces per wheat!) is then placed in a vanilla dropper, which is triggered by an Expanded Redstone clock once every ten seconds (could have been 5, but the mana spreader couldn't keep up). This mana is split between temporary mana storage and the mana fluxfield, which produces 1,600 RF/burst. Once the capacitor bank fills (meaning the furnaces are full, too), a vanilla comparator shuts off the mana spreader going to the fluxfield.

Still to do here: Non-flammable decoration, sprinkler to accelerate crop growth.

EDIT: I removed the comparator. With the amount of mana I'm making, it's not necessary. I also added an alchemical furnace, lamp of growth, and exoflame (and the exoflame-alchemical furnace compatibility mod) to accelerate crop growth using the seeds I get. I placed down an Open Blocks sprinkler, too, which I will later change out for a Rotarycraft one.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, vanilla gravel isn't the world's nicest block. I love the way it looks with the John Smith Technician Remix texture pack though.

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
Well, 14k toast produced, agricarnation placed for even faster growth, and three full mana pools later, and I still haven't added decoration. I have however, added more machines. I have a rock melter leading to an IE bottling machine (I used this to make glowstone illuminators), a second layer to the farm that produces canola seeds, and another grinder for lubricant. It's amazing how much one RoC pump can produce. Also have been doing a lot of thaumcraft research and exploration.

EDIT:
2016-11-13_23.45.00.png
2016-11-13_23.45.14.png

It seems I've somehow broken Thaumcraft, too. I was scanning stuff, but didn't get any aspect points. It's not that I hit the soft cap, I think I just hit a hard cap on total research points. Anyway, I've been spending a few hours in Creative mode with a knowledge shard and my thaumonomicon, trying to research everything. So... many... addons... I've gotten to Ichor, Eldritch research, and a few other milestones in other addons.

Last edited:

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
A quick apology is in order, I think. I am unlikely to update this build journal for the next week or so.

The reason is simple: Pokémon will be released in a little over an hour from now. I will be playing it.