Massive latency issues

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

theKGS

Jul 29, 2019
We're a group of people (3) playing on a private server. Out of these players, one, that is me, is having serious latency issues.

Basically, my ISP sucks. I have, technically, a 10/10 line. But during the day, it is about as fast as a 1/10 line.

This makes minecraft (Unhinged) almost unplayable.

There's 1-2 minute period every time I start the game during which I cannot manipulate things at all, because the synchronization process between the server and the client will reset everything I do. I have tried some other servers (also unhinged) and, interestingly enough, they do not have this issue. There's only about a 3-5 second period and I can deal with that.

I've tested connecting to our server during the night when bandwidth is available, and during those hours I get roughly the same numbers as the other servers. They have to be doing something on their server that saves enough bandwidth for me for my client to behave properly without latency periods and rubber banding.

So they must be doing something that our private server isn't in order to optimize bandwidth usage for the clients.

Any ideas?

Things i'e noted:
*Rules against using Dimensional Doors (does this save bandwidth?)
*Rules against chunk loaders (we run one on our server, but that shouldn't be much of a problem alone).
*I see some discussing insinuating that Modular Power Suits is a bandwidth hog. Is this still true? (we're using latest Unhinged)

Mashy14

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC some ISP's will throttle your bandwidth it you are downloading torrents or uploading alot (like a server.)

theKGS

Jul 29, 2019
That should not be an issue. The server we're using, while not a dedicated minecraft host, is a commercial server host.

Nobody else on the server has latency problems.

The issue is that I have the slowest internet connection yet I can access some other minecraft servers without feeling this slowness. When I access our server it is almost unplayable.

So these other servers must be doing something that limits their own bandwidth output to the point that my slow connection does not affect latency. They must be doing something to locally minimize how much data is sent to the clients. I'm curious what this might be.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Internet is a network, the path your information is taking to reach your server might be slower than the path its taking to reach the other servers (there could be a bad router in between, or simply a lot of hops).

For example, in my country inter-country networks are pretty bad, but my ISP has a decent connection to the international backbones, so i generally connect better to servers hosted in Europe or the US, than to servers hosted a couple blocks away.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Looks, feels, and smells like a commercial server hosting problem. Your MC server's traffic may be getting prioritized lower than other MC server's traffic.

If you stay with the same hosting company, try switching locations. They may have ISP issues specific to your current hosted location.

You can also try switching service type, ex. switching from hosted to VPS/VDS. With a VPS/VDS, you'll have to build and maintain the FTB install on Linux yourself, but in my experience, the investment has been worth it. I can do a lot more and get better performance for the same price with a VPS/VDS I build and maintain myself rather than hosted. There's tons of scripts and support out there for building and maintaining an MC install and FTB specifically with a VPS/VDS.

You may also simply need to pony up more monthly cash to get higher prioritization. The commercial server hosting companies have to make a profit and they will try to squeeze every last bit of CPU, RAM, disk space, and their ISP bandwidth they can. When peak traffic hits, lower-class servers get lower resource allocation.

Finally, if your current hosting company is not working out, you'll have to switch.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
It also depends on how far the server is away from you. I'm in Europe and while US servers are doable for me they are noticeably worse than EU based servers.

Also wireless, for me, has never been good enough for gaming, so if you're sitting wireless you might want to try plugging in a cable and see if that helps. Especially if you don't have a very strong signal the difference can be very significant.

It can also be a combination of things of course.

theKGS

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies people :p

MigukNamja: We've been thinking of switching to another server. Right now it's a non-minecraft host. We're thinking of going to Creeperhost.

*I don't have wireless so that's not an issue.
*The server is in Europe and I am in Europe.

theKGS

Jul 29, 2019
Looks, feels, and smells like a commercial server hosting problem. Your MC server's traffic may be getting prioritized lower than other MC server's traffic.

If you stay with the same hosting company, try switching locations. They may have ISP issues specific to your current hosted location.

You can also try switching service type, ex. switching from hosted to VPS/VDS. With a VPS/VDS, you'll have to build and maintain the FTB install on Linux yourself, but in my experience, the investment has been worth it. I can do a lot more and get better performance for the same price with a VPS/VDS I build and maintain myself rather than hosted. There's tons of scripts and support out there for building and maintaining an MC install and FTB specifically with a VPS/VDS.

You may also simply need to pony up more monthly cash to get higher prioritization. The commercial server hosting companies have to make a profit and they will try to squeeze every last bit of CPU, RAM, disk space, and their ISP bandwidth they can. When peak traffic hits, lower-class servers get lower resource allocation.

Finally, if your current hosting company is not working out, you'll have to switch.

Now that I'm thinking about it, there's one thing this does not explain:

Why am I the only person with lag on that particular server?

Because I can connect to other servers running hte same modpack without problem. But this particular server lags extremely, and it ONLY does it for me.

theKGS

Jul 29, 2019
We've just migrated to creeperhost and there's no difference:

1: I get lag. Everyone else on the server gets no lag.

2: The lag is insane and practically unplayable. It can take up to half a minute to open a chest.

3: This is NOT a CPU issue. This is not that kind of lag.

4: The amount of lag depends on the time of day which seems to indicate it's an ISP load issue. After 2-3 in the morning there is no lag. My bandwidth according to speedtest varies between 0.5 Mbps to 10 Mpbs where 0.5 is an outlier. My lowest is usually 1.5 to 2.0 Mbps.

5: There is lag even when I should have enough bandwidth to handle it without problems. Currently I'm experiencing severe lag, and my reported bandwidth (speedtest) is 2.28 Mbps.

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a Mac computer and have Optifine installed, disable it. My friend couldn't even function on a server because of that.