Mass Power Storage

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
I am producing 10240 rf/t with dynamoes and soon will be making another 30k (hopefully) with a few pebble gen reactors to run my lasers, but what is an effective way to store this power? I can spam resonate energy cells but I already have a bank of 35 and it is getting pretty lame to just add more, so what unique ways do you guys use endgame to store power? Even my bank of res. cells goes dry after a few hours, and I play on a dedicated server so it wouldn't be a viable backup battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I don't think your problem is necessarily with your storage. Your post speaks of a storage problem and also your power reserves running low. You're charging your energy cell array at 10240 rf/t, but your 35 cells are likely maxed outputs and puking out a combined 350,000.

if you truly need that kind of power, i would consider adding a big reactor or twelve. The res cells should hold up to your energy demands as long as you can keep it under 350k.

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I don't think your problem is necessarily with your storage. Your post speaks of a storage problem and also your power reserves running low. You're charging your energy cell array at 10240 rf/t, but your 35 cells are likely maxed outputs and puking out a combined 350,000.

if you truly need that kind of power, i would consider adding a big reactor or twelve. The res cells should hold up to your energy demands as long as you can keep it under 350k.
Unless I turn my lasers on I don't staticly use more than 7k/t but it's when my quantum bridge goes down or something similar or my tree farms break or my export bus wants to stop crafting empty fuel rods. Looking through nei I remembeed the higher tier industrial cool so I made 4 of those and stringed up a few res cells with tier 5 magneto static engines to see what kind of power those store.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Compared to resonant cells, industrial coils store practically nothing.

Also, I agree with above that your issue is probably more energy generation then storage. 35 resonant energy cells is more then any sane person should practically need.

By the way, although I haven't tried pebble beds, I highly recommend giving breeder reactors a try. They not only utilize some of that depleted uranium you'll inevitably accumulate, but they also produce a lot of power to boot.

And, once the fuel is used up, you can then use the plutonium waste product as fuel for a normal core reactor.

Last edited:

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Unless I turn my lasers on I don't staticly use more than 7k/t but it's when my quantum bridge goes down or something similar or my tree farms break or my export bus wants to stop crafting empty fuel rods. Looking through nei I remembeed the higher tier industrial cool so I made 4 of those and stringed up a few res cells with tier 5 magneto static engines to see what kind of power those store.

Well, something is eating that power. Your lasers use 7k rf/t, which is almost your entire production of power at the moment. How much does your AE system use? Probably at least another 7k...quantum bridge? :p

You definitely need more power production. I see that as the only way out of this mess you're in bro. If you are running on a power deficit, you will run out of power eventually. It doesn't matter how much energy storage you have, a deficit is still a deficit, but honestly your storage is more than adequate.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Can we go the semi-traditional* way?

Tree farm sending charcoal to 36HP steam boilers, then feed the steam into Big Reactor's Reactor Turbine. Last I checked, 1.3k+ mb of steam (2 36HP can output 1440mb), with the optimal turbine setup can produce up to 14k (IIRC) RF/t. Running 4 36HP and 2 reactor turbines can easily net you about 28k RF/t.\

And with MFR, tree farms are pretty easy to set up and they can easily be upgraded to fulfill the needs of 4 36HP steam boilers.

*traditional only applies to the tree farm fed steam boilers.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Compared to resonant cells, industrial coils store practically nothing.
Uhh...
RotaryCraft bedrock industrial coils can store approximately 2.6 trillion RF each. Then they explode very violently, so don't fill one completely.

More precisely, that's 720 TJ, which converts at a rate of 5628 W per RF/t. 720 TJ works out to 1.44 * 10^17 watt ticks. Divide by 5628 to get RF.

Reactions: PierceSG and Pyure

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Uhh...
RotaryCraft bedrock industrial coils can store approximately 2.6 trillion RF each. Then they explode very violently, so don't fill one completely.

More precisely, that's 720 TJ, which converts at a rate of 5628 W per RF/t. 720 TJ works out to 1.44 * 10^17 watt ticks. Divide by 5628 to get RF.
Well then.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Uhh...

More precisely, that's 720 TJ, which converts at a rate of 5628 W per RF/t. 720 TJ works out to 7.2 * 10^14 watt seconds. Divide by 5628 to get RF.
Well then.
Wait, nope, I miscalculated. That should be ~128 billion RF per coil. I knew I did something wrong. Still, though.

The biggest issue with industrial coils, however, is that their output limit is 16 MW, so while it can hold an absolutely absurd amount of power, it'll take something like a real-time year to discharge all of it, and only at 2981 RF/t.

Last edited:

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
May I suggest since it seems like you're running a system which is based entirely on your AE system working to keep it maintained to have an emergency store dedicated entirely to your AE. So something which stores enough power to reboot your AE system when every other power production method has run dry.

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks all, I will probobly end up using a few ind. coils. I dont use big reactors because I think its pretty OP and boring but I will probobly hook up a backup MFSU or something to kick start it. My AE system uses ~3300+ 4 quantum bridges so 2 MFSUs should do it.

Reactions: abculatter_2

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Electricraft has some high tier batteries that can store a lot of energy, which be turned back into shaft power using induction motors. Ender IO has capacitor banks that can be stacked almost infnitely to store massive amounts of power as a multiblock.

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Electricraft has some high tier batteries that can store a lot of energy, which be turned back into shaft power using induction motors. Ender IO has capacitor banks that can be stacked almost infnitely to store massive amounts of power as a multiblock.
I had bad luck with the capacitor banks. I made a small mountain of them to handle 160,000RF/T and it filled in moments.

I don't know of anything that holds more power than an ElectriCraft Aurora battery. Off the top of my head I believe it holds 2^48 TJ of power, which I believe translates into somewhere around 50 billion RF. I forget what it outputs at, I'll have to dig into Reika's github later.

Edit, found it:
REDSTONE( 20, 256, 32),
GLOWSTONE( 24, 512, 64),
LAPIS( 28, 2048, 128),
ENDER( 33, 4096, 256),
DIAMOND( 40, 16384, 1024),
STAR( 48, 65536, 4096);

STAR = Aurora.

Output = 65536 * 4096 = 47TW.

I forget the conversion. I usually divide by 6000 iirc, so around 45000 RF/T output.

Last edited:

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I had bad luck with the capacitor banks. I made a small mountain of them to handle 160,000RF/T and it filled in moments.

I don't know of anything that holds more power than an ElectriCraft Aurora battery. Off the top of my head I believe it holds 2^48 TJ of power, which I believe translates into somewhere around 50 billion RF. I forget what it outputs at, I'll have to dig into Reika's github later.

Edit, found it:
REDSTONE( 20, 256, 32),
GLOWSTONE( 24, 512, 64),
LAPIS( 28, 2048, 128),
ENDER( 33, 4096, 256),
DIAMOND( 40, 16384, 1024),
STAR( 48, 65536, 4096);

STAR = Aurora.

Output = 65536 * 4096 = 47TW.

I forget the conversion. I usually divide by 6000 iirc, so around 45000 RF/T output.

5628 W/RF

Gives me 47.7k RF/t

Reactions: Pyure

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
What i should do (and what i haven't done so far...) is output from resonant energycell storages only to my base, powering AE network, devices indoors and fluid pumps. All ore mining like quarries and laser drills should be powered directly from power generation, or have its own separate power storage. I mean if power generation stops because of no fuel, it is ok if all mining operations stop. Systems should keep running for longer time, say many days IRL so you can access all your items in digitized cells and get power running again.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Numbers ow my brain.
It's a good thing there are people who actually do this stuff; props to you all!
I'm only getting into the steam boiler age myself; seem to be low on shiny ingots for res. energy cells. Any suggestions for temporary high-tier power storage?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not too sure on the cost but maybe give Ender IO capacitor blocks a try?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Numbers ow my brain.
It's a good thing there are people who actually do this stuff; props to you all!
I'm only getting into the steam boiler age myself; seem to be low on shiny ingots for res. energy cells. Any suggestions for temporary high-tier power storage?
Uh... I... Guess, a Big Reactor will suffice?
No wait, energy storage. Uh... EnderIO Capactor banks for days?