Marble Hive, Deep Hive?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

Anton_

Has anyone managed to find either of these, using DW20's current modpack?

I imagine Deep Hives are rare, but I've spent a lot of time mining 5x5 tunnels at y=±10 and found none.

The wikis all say that Marble Hives are very common - just lying around on the ground, they say. I've done a fair bit of flying around and found 100s of wild bee hives, but not a single Marble Hive.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

I imagine Deep Hives are rare, but I've spent a lot of time mining 5x5 tunnels at y=±10 and found none.

The wikis all say that Marble Hives are very common - just lying around on the ground, they say. I've done a fair bit of flying around and found 100s of wild bee hives, but not a single Marble Hive.
I've never seen a marble hive in any pack. I've seen deep hives, typically surrounded by redstone (in 1.7.10 anyway)

Reactions: Anton_

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Its from Extra Bees (which now falls under the umbrella of Binnie's Mods), but I believe it also depends on other mods being installed. I've got a feeling that the marble from Astral Sorcery doesn't trigger its spawning - it dates back to the redpower/projectred days originally! hmm.

Deep Hives are from Magic Bees originally, and can be found in Magical Biomes (i.e. those added by Thaumcraft). But, there is a 1.12 version of Magic Bees in the pack, so it's not impossible you might find something?

Last edited:
A

Anton_

Thanks for those replies.

Deep Hive shows up in JEI, and that shows a WorldGen of y=10 to 25 in Mining World, so I looked there, digging long 5x5 tunnels (with silk touch). Given that redstone is usually found surrounded by redstone, I mined where redstone occurs - y=10-ish. I found redstone at y=10, but in smallish clumps, not enough to encase anything. - and no Deep Hive. I then retraced that tunnel but a level 5 higher - hardly any redstone there, and also no hive. Or perhaps I need to be in the right biome?

Marble Hive is shown by JEI, but no WorldGen is offered. Presumably that means it didn't generate in the world I'm playing?

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands

The wiki information may be outdated...
In MC v1.7 marble hives would spawn on top of grass just like meadows hives, and they would spawn absolutely everywhere.
From my personal experience with MC v1.12, using my own modded instance that includes the mod "Quark," which adds marble, marble hives spawn inside marble nodes. I don't know how they spawn in modpacks where marble doesn't exist.

I have found both deep hives and marble hives in my own modded instance. I don't know about DW20's pack, I don't play DW20's packs.

Deep hives are surrounded by blocks of redstone (yes, *blocks*, not the ore) that spawn up to several blocks away from the hive itself. So they are relatively easy to find, even if they are rare. I've found most by just caving. Sometimes I've also found them because i noticed the bees stinging me, and couldn't locate a rock hive.

The marble hives are more difficult to locate, I've found them by noticing the bees in their general area, when a cave so happens to cross a Quark marble node.

Rock hives always spawn next to an air block, in cave walls and ceilings. But both deep hives and marble hives spawn inside solid stone/marble, unlike any other hive.

Last edited:
A

Anton_

Thanks SevenMass, that was very useful. DW20's pack does not include Quark, so that explains that.

I've read that Deep Hives spawn in hill biomes, so might have a dig/spelunk around there. Can you recall offhand at what depth you found the Deep Hives?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Since you've already spent a lot of time digging around for these hives, why not spawn in 1 of each hive so you can progress?

A

Anton_

Since you've already spent a lot of time digging around for these hives, why not spawn in 1 of each hive so you can progress?
Er, not sure I understand what you mean by "...spawn in 1 of each hive..."?

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Can you recall offhand at what depth you found the Deep Hives?

From memory; Somewhere around the same height as gold. (not counting mesa-gold) You could run into them if you are mining at the standard mining level of y=11/y=12. (though they are quite rare)

I repeat though; I do not know if this applies to DW20's pack.

Er, not sure I understand what you mean by "...spawn in 1 of each hive..."?

I think he means: just cheat one in! Activate cheat mode in JEI, get one or two, then deactivate cheat mode in JEI.

If it turns out that these bees don't spawn in the DW20 pack for whatever reason, then this may be your only option.

A

Anton_

Ah but cheating it in spoils the fun of the chase. The only "cheat" I'm okay with is texture editing, but that's only because I'm colour blind.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
I think I did find some Deep Hives once, surrounded in redstone blocks. I'm afraid I don't remember which biome i were in though.

Also Marbled hives were discountined a while back. I don't believe breaking them yeilds anything, even with a scoop, but I can't be sure, they mighta been reintroduced.

A

Anton_

I managed to find two Deep Hives in the same hills biome between y10-20. One was surrounded by redstone blocks, the other wasn't.