Making Steel

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using a modified version of the mindcrack pack. I just spent the last hour making everything for the GT industrial blast furnace (using all my iron in the process), and found out there is no way to make steel using it. Can I only make steel with the railcraft blast furnace?

I've gone through the configs and can't find anything mentioning this. I know GT enables a bunch of recipes through the rolling machine when RC is installed, but I didn't think the removal of steel from his machine was one of them.

I still have uses for the industrial blast furnace, but was kinda hoping to finally be able to make a drill.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Just remember, that filling the two central spots with lava will raise the temperature by 500, reducing the need for higher tier casings a bit.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Iron dust in the industrial blast furnace only makes refined iron. It does not make steel. Out of 1 iron dust and 2 coal dust, I received 1 refined iron and 4 dark ashes.

I have the lava in the center. :)

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
Iron dust in the industrial blast furnace only makes refined iron. It does not make steel. Out of 1 iron dust and 2 coal dust, I received 1 refined iron and 4 dark ashes.

I think TrainCraft can do some weird things where Refined Iron = Steel, are you sure you put 1 iron dust in the top slot, and 2 coal dust in the bottom slot? If you did, I don't remember how to fix it so you can make Steel.

SneakyPete

Jul 29, 2019
Only one iron dust is needed.

Edit: I'm retarded

It should work with that recipe, maybe a conflicting mod or something is messing up the recipe, or maybe the recipe isn't enabled in the config. Or something like that.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Yep gregtech 2.73c is the version. I've removed traincraft from my setup. I found other people reporting the same thing on the GT ic2 forum post, but didn't see an answer for it.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I tried placing 2 iron dust in the ind. blast furnace along with 2 coal dust, but only 1 iron dust was processed, and it gave me refined iron again.

According to http://gregtech-addon.wikispaces.com/Industrial+Blast+Furnace I should be getting steel with 1 iron dust and 2 coal dust.

According to NEI, the only way to make steel is through the RC blast furnace.. I looked through all the NEI recipes for the industrial blast furnace, and steel isn't one of the recipes available. o_O

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, 1 iron dust + 2 coal dust produce 1 steel ingot (+ 4 dark ashes? forgot), without fail.
I have a vanilla mindcrack, no added or removed mods.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Yep -

blastfurnace {
B:item.GT_Cells.7=true
B:item.GT_Dusts.18=true
B:item.GT_Dusts.19=true
B:item.GT_Dusts.20=true
B:item.GT_Dusts.22=true
B:item.GT_Dusts.241=true
B:item.GT_Dusts.26=true
B:item.itemDustIron=true
B:item.material.dustIron=true
B:tile.BlockMetaID_Ore.Pyrite_Ore=true
B:tile.oreIron=true
}

SneakyPete

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have the right amount of blocks as part of the multiblock structre (not sure it can function with less but :/ ) Does the heat capacity say its over 1000k?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
It's actually railcraft that is doing it. Haven't figured out why yet, but I created a new instance in multimc using the same configs as my setup, and gregtech recipes showed up fine until I added railcraft back in. Then the steel recipe disappeared in GT blast furnace and only left the refined iron recipe.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I wiped the railcraft config and had it make a new one, and lo and behold, steel from the industrial blast furnace is back. (I did this on a test world as to not corrupt my save.)

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
probably because of

#
# change to 'recipes.ic2.remove.refined.iron=true' to prevent Refined Iron from being used in any IC2 recipe. Use in combination with 'recipes.ic2.use.steel'
#
B:recipes.ic2.remove.refined.iron=false

#
# change to 'recipes.ic2.use.steel=true' to enable the use of Steel in any IC2 recipe that requires Refined Iron
#
B:recipes.ic2.use.steel=false

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I tried toggling it one way, then back, and it didn't work. I ended up using a new railcraft config file, then just copied the block and item id sections out of my old file. That seems to be working now. Not sure what I goofed up in my old railcraft config, but it is working now.

Thanks everyone for all your help.