Making an AE2 pattern accept "either use this OR this"?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm having trouble trying to make Glass. A simple, automated task that my setup cannot do. Mainly because, I'm using three Alloy Smelters. And all they know how to do is make Quite Clear Glass, instead of regular vanilla Glass. This is my guess to why it's stuck on trying to craft Glass on making Fluix Glass Cables from AE2.

And before I'm forced to make a Redstone Furnace just to make regular Glass..., I want to know if I can tell my patterns of the recipes that require Glass, to use either regular Glass OR Quite Clear Glass to make the item.
Is it possible?

tigin88

Jul 29, 2019
If you specify in the Alloy smelter "furnace only" it will smelt glass. It will make three 3 glasses at a time. I usually use quite clear glass for building and vanilla glass for crafting.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need Redstone furnaces for regular glass...Alloy smelters can make it when you switch them to "furnace only" mode. Also, I think you can simply convert quite clear glass to regular glass with an unshaped recipe.

Other than that I don't know why it wouldn't work, I remember my AE system to be happy using QCG when I ran out of regular glass

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
There's no "OR" with AE2 as far as I know. I go thru this problem with rubber since I have both MFR rubber and IC2 rubber. They're equivalent, sure, but you can't give an instruction to AE2 to "auto-craft IC2 copper cable using whichever rubber I have the most of at that time". Maybe if you got really fancy with some level emitters, and all that jazz... meh. I just pick one rubber and use that for all my AE2 crafting patterns, and when I notice there's a big difference between my rubber quantities, I'll switch all my patterns over to use the other rubber. Erase them and re-do the patterns. A hassle, but since there's no "OR" button in AE2, it's the easiest way for me to deal with the issue. It isn't a big issue, but it's still a bit annoying.

And you also hit on the other annoying thing - multiple machines. I have 3 IC2 Metal Former machines, because it has 3 different operations - Rolling, Extruding, Cutting - and you have to manually press a button in the machine's GUI to change the operation. So there's no choice - you must have 3 Metal Formers for AE2 auto-crafting, one for Rolling, one for Extruding and the last one for Cutting.

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
You could use a MFR Unifier or JABBA barrel to auto convert your ore dictionary for you. I use a JABBA barrel for something similar, where I export all my my rubber into a locked barrel (locked on the MFR version because I don't use IC2 much) then import it into the ME to save having two item types taken up in my drives while still being able to use it for crafting.

Its not perfect, but its a good reason to get creative.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I should just storage bus the barrel, and configure both types to be stored there. It will still convert them, but its much less mess. I have to go fix this now...

Edit 2: If you were to do this with your glass, you could use an ME Level Emmiter to control the Alloy Furnace so you would always have a buffer in stock and wouldn't have to wait on it crafting.

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
Quiet Clear Glass will craft into regular glass just by putting it into the crafting table. If it is really an issue you can make a crafting pattern that tells your AE that 1 quiet clear glass = regular glass.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Quiet Clear Glass will craft into regular glass just by putting it into the crafting table. If it is really an issue you can make a crafting pattern that tells your AE that 1 quiet clear glass = regular glass.

This would be the best/fastest solution if you cannot switch one of the 3 alloy smelters to furnace only.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
2 copper gear, 1 machine block, 2 bricks, 1 reception coil and a redstone. Come on ! you can do it ! it take a few seconds with a crafting terminal lol.

If i was you , I'd get myself an interface terminal so you could quickly edit the faulty pattern fast enough it wont even bother you.