Making a task list in game...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
So, this may be a bit nutty, but I was wondering if this was possible. I've got a small server running with a few friends. We've done a lot so far, but have a LOT more to do. We were discussing today if there was a way to keep track of projects and their status in game. Obviously we can do this out of game, but in game would be so much cooler!

Any one have any ideas how this could be accomplished? Via Computercraft or RP2 Computers? I don't have much experience with either.

We're looking for something that can pull up a basic text file, that could then be edited etc.

I'm thinking of a big Computercraft screen, but am not really sure if this is a possible feature...

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
You could also use the "new" vanilla books that you can write on and such.

But sure, displaying it on a giant screen with computer craft would be cool, even more if you use the colored ones.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, big computercraft screen works just fine. Though you'll have to code it yourself.

bonus points if you attach levers to the entries to add a check on completion ;)

Glacies

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, there's always the super low-tech solution of putting some signs up on a wall in a central area, right? Not fancy, but not without a certain amount of utility. Helps that all you need is some wood to make edits instead of a computer console, right?

Reactions: seannyyx

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, there's always the super low-tech solution of putting some signs up on a wall in a central area, right? Not fancy, but not without a certain amount of utility. Helps that all you need is some wood to make edits instead of a computer console, right?

My first thought when I read the OP. So much simpler than the other suggestions :)

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so heres what you do:
first, set up a 8-machine long chain of aqueous accumulators, magma crucibles and extruders. These should be powered by a boiler, and fed through a mystcraft portal that feeds netherrack in from a magmatic engine powered quarry.
These machines pipe their cobblestone into a massive frame machine that feeds a 128x128 grid of turtles, each of which is individually programmed to either place or remove cobblestone depending on input from a central computer system.

These turtles are shifted left or right by the frame machine, and using the cobblestone, write out your grocery list in massive letters when you type it onscreen.
Your players will bask in the glory of your insane extravagance.

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so heres what you do:
first, set up a 8-machine long chain of aqueous accumulators, magma crucibles and extruders. These should be powered by a boiler, and fed through a mystcraft portal that feeds netherrack in from a magmatic engine powered quarry.
These machines pipe their cobblestone into a massive frame machine that feeds a 128x128 grid of turtles, each of which is individually programmed to either place or remove cobblestone depending on input from a central computer system.

These turtles are shifted left or right by the frame machine, and using the cobblestone, write out your grocery list in massive letters when you type it onscreen.
Your players will bask in the glory of your insane extravagance.

Holy smokes! That would blow up our PCs, but would be glorious haha.

And thanks for the suggestions folks. I hadn't considered the vanilla books. Signs could work well actually...

Does Computercraft text get larger when multiple monitors are placed together?

fifthsun

Jul 29, 2019
I was interested in this myself. Searching for how to make the big monitor and what mod it's in I came across this post from a few weeks ago. Might not be exactly what your looking for but looks like a good way to start out.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/someway-to-keep-in-game-notes.3951/#post-45382

Computers! Simply write up a program that just prints your notes and then whenever you want to edit it you can.

You can make it the startup program so every time you open the computer it'll pop up with your notes. Make a computer then just do "edit [programname]" and it'll create a program with whatever name you give it. If you do "edit startup" it'll edit the startup program and each time your server/world restarts it will startup. You can then add monitors to the computer to get your notes to show up on a big monitor. :)

Computer Craft Wiki. Lua documentation. I'm fairly certain you only need the print command. Maybe a peripheral for the monitor, though I'm not sure how to set that up. Make the monitor program your startup, and another program (called "notes") for it to call.

Code:
--startup program
-- this will put your notes on the monitor to the left
shell.run("monitor", "left", "notes")

-- Notes program
-- you really only need one print command, but more than 1 will help you edit
print("These are my notes.")
print("1. Arcane Levetator ASAP")
print("2. Mine for Diamonds")
print("9999. DIAMOND BLOCK TOWER!")

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
I was interested in this myself. Searching for how to make the big monitor and what mod it's in I came across this post from a few weeks ago. Might not be exactly what your looking for but looks like a good way to start out.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/someway-to-keep-in-game-notes.3951/#post-45382

Ooh man this would be perfect, thanks! Looks like I've got some Computercraft learning to do. It scares me though....I've tried before, but am not sure how to add the LUA programs.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
To start making one from scratch you just type

edit 'program name'

and hit enter (replace 'program name' with a sensible name for the program) and you will start to make your program.

lukasni

Jul 29, 2019
If that's something people are interested in, which I seem to be getting from this thread, I might look into writing a small program for CC that will display a todo list on a monitor. Some simple terminal commands or a GUI for adding and removing tasks, something along those lines.

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
If that's something people are interested in, which I seem to be getting from this thread, I might look into writing a small program for CC that will display a todo list on a monitor. Some simple terminal commands or a GUI for adding and removing tasks, something along those lines.

I'm interested :)