Magic World Server - Thaumcraft 3: Nodes disappearing

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
When we first updated our server to 1.4.7 our nodes disappeared and after a bit of messing around I was able to successfully update the backup of the server with little loss of progress. Now, as it happens to turn out it's happened again. This time with no update and no indication of why. There's just a big ring around our house where there are no nodes.

We discovered this when he tried to grow a silverwood tree with a hoe of growth and it failed.

If it helps, I did add custom heads using NBTedit about a day ago.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
as far as I understand it, this is due to a corruption of the aura node data file on saving.

To fix this, Azanor has by now moved the aura node data to the chunk data files to use MC's own saving methods.

- aura data is now saved as part of the normal MC chunk data. As a result any kind of aura operations now only takes place on nodes in loaded chunks. This has already been true for the most part, but previously a small number of operations could still take place even in unloaded chunks.
- *IMPORTANT* I will be removing all legacy saving methods for both research and auras in a FUTURE update. Research data for players that haven't logged in since this update, and aura data for chunks that have not been loaded WILL be lost. Don't worry, I will give ample warning when I do it.

Not that this helps you, but it should mean that this doesn't happen in the future. What you could try is copying only the node data file from your old backup over your current game (though backup everything before trying this!). This means you'd get a rollback on your node status, but it shouldn't be as bad as a full rollback on your world.

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that aura.dat corruption only deleted all nodes or none at all.

But if it is true, does that mean I caused it?

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that aura.dat corruption only deleted all nodes or none at all.

But if it is true, does that mean I caused it?
I don't know the internals of Azanor's old node saving stuff (nor do I know anything about how it works now) other than what he's posted. My post is a guess on something you could try, no guarantees given.

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
Well, didn't work. But I was wondering. We have a large pure node in our house and we grew it by just placing a sapling and then smacking it with the hoe of growth (not my idea; his idea), rinse, repeat. Looking through these forums I get the feeling that's a bad idea. Could that have been the cause?

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
You am play gods!

I don't know, the workings of nodes seems to be constantly in flux (badumtish), but I haven't had any problems recently using larger nodes. They seem to recharge just fine, just put some smaller ones out there to connect your base with where they're still generating naturally.

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
That's basically what we've done. He got his tree grown, but there's likely still places with no nodes at all.

Oh and one of our nodes has been stuck at moderate flux and above since the update. Our pure node looks like it might have also gotten stuck, only at high instead.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
What do the goggles tell you?
if the aura is just at 0 and not coming back up, that means you've drained all the magic from the area. The only fix for that is dropping crystal clusters all over the place. Which you'd have to create elsewhere on account of you having drained all the magic from the area.

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
Turns out it was just taking its time. The pure node we use now won't recharge to full and the normal node we used to use has been unable to go below moderate flux ever since we updated to 1.4.7.