Magic World 2 - Sorting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing Magic World 2 for a few weeks now. I'm at the point where I need to really start setting up a sorting system for some items. There just aren't as many options for sorting systems as in the more technical packs.

I am really trying to find a way to sort magic beans into barrels for use in crucible crafting. None of the methods I can think of will completely work compactly. I tried feeding barrels using hoppers, but if I stacked the hoppers, the hopper below would often pull the bean out before it was stuck into the correct inventory.

I also tried using golems to place items in barrels. I put a empty golem on a chest, and linked it to the barrels using the bell, but it couldn't actually place the items in the barrels as the barrels (JABBA) don't seem to have a legitimate inventory the golems can access. I also tried a use golem, and I could get it to fill one barrel, but it kept trying the same barrel each and every time. it never tried using the item on any other barrels, so this is kinda useless.

I saw a TC4 video where vanilla item movement and hungry chests were combined to make a sorting system. But this is a bit convoluted and doesn't really fit well with my build and my desire to try and use barrels to store the beans although it is a pretty neat mechanic.

I have also found the hopper ducts mod, and this does solve many sorting issues (using the hopper grates), but is hard to adapt for so many individual items with mana beans (51 different aspects/beans). I would need 1 individual hopper grate along with a bunch of hopper ducts to direct the output to the right barrel. I think this would be a 1:1 correlation. It's not impossible, but would take up considerable space to fit it all in.

So, my question to the FTB community is have I missed anything? I'm not familiar with all the mods in Magic World 2, so there may very well be an additional sorting "system" in some of the other magic mods that I am just not aware of that may fit the bill better than what I have found on my own.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
You could try to find a sorting tree sapling in the Twilight Forrest. I'm not sure how well it performs, but run some tests with it and see if you can incorporate it in your system.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
You could try to find a sorting tree sapling in the Twilight Forrest. I'm not sure how well it performs, but run some tests with it and see if you can incorporate it in your system.
I believe that's just InventoryTweaks in a tree.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019

I believe that's just InventoryTweaks in a tree.

It is. I had looked into it, but all it does is sort items inside of chests. It would be kinda neat if it did more, but alas.

It's going to take a while to build a good sorting room for beans. In the mean time, I have used hopperducts to redirect all the beans deposited by my golems into a double iron reinforced chest. It's the only storage unit large enough to give enough space for 51 different items since the iron chests mod is not part of magic world. Vanilla chests aren't large enough to store all the items. (I'm not even close to 64 beans of any one type, so it will be a while before the chest is filled.)

I found using WAILA along with the JABBA barrels isn't enough for the beans. It's hard to remember what all the colors are, since the barrels only show you the item and not the NBT data. I'm going to have to use signs to help me with it, which means at max, I can only go 3 blocks high for the barrels leaving a 4th block for the sign. It's the best I can do and leave everything accessible and readable. Within this limitation, my base has to go through a bit of a redesign. I'll post some pictures here when I get it laid out. I've got a few ideas on making it all work.