Magic mod based around astronomica, astrophysics, and tons of other space-related things - A concept

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I was just thinking, research wise, how about a connect the dots type mini game?

Astronomy/Astrology the constellations, you know...
Have a research note with a map of the stars
Different star maps will be created by observing the night sky from different locations (biomes? block distance?)

Star maps will look like random dots that represents the stars you have observed
If you look closer in those stars in a pattern.
Oh look, there's Steve's face! *ding* you unlocked (insert research unlock here)

Just throwing it out there since you were looking for a different kind of research.

I dunno, maybe this would be just a way to unlock the tech tree, as all astronomy started by looking at the stars and seeing patterns.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Could you somehow build in Orreries? Imagine if you had to build a massive minecraft scale version that was part of the research/stuff the mod offers? What actual planets/moons it holds would be different each game (based on seed)

I wonder how well it would work also randomising the start position you get in the research based on seed?
I'm thinking a tech tree with a variable root depending on your world you start in, but with the possibility to research back to the other potential roots so that you're not missing out on content, it's just released to you slightly differently depending on the seed

bounding star

Jul 29, 2019
also, perhaps a mechanic that lets you fast forward/ rewind time (maybe lategame, maybe early) because i know it will be frustrating to some people to wait all night for a certain constellation and then you miss it because of a stray zombie

Reactions: Xheotris

Xheotris

Jul 29, 2019
Could you somehow build in Orreries? Imagine if you had to build a massive minecraft scale version that was part of the research/stuff the mod offers? What actual planets/moons it holds would be different each game (based on seed)

also, perhaps a mechanic that lets you fast forward/ rewind time (maybe lategame, maybe early) because i know it will be frustrating to some people to wait all night for a certain constellation and then you miss it because of a stray zombie
These. These should be the same thing. A late game multi-block the size of a lvl 5 blood altar that requires stone/materials from each planet that slowly spins with the planets. If you feed it craploads of power/mana/steam it can slow or speed up the orbits of the real stars.