Low Lag Devices for Common Tasks

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Probably not the sexiest thread title but as others have suggested I have decided to start a thread to hold all my various devices which accomplish common tasks in modded Minecraft using very light methods and machines. My motivation (besides creating a mini game for myself) is selfish; I enjoy playing mature worlds and going through every mod in a pack and it frustrates me when a world finally becomes unplayable due to lag. This thread will not be focusing on tweaking servers but rather on alternative machines which consume much less of the game tick loop than do the conventional methods.

All timings are measure by Opis and I tend to play DW20 packs with just a few additional mods (MmmmMmmmMmmmMmmm and Rotarycraft currently) so my designs will tend to be possible on DW20 servers. Things I in general avoid are entities since they consume so much more of the game loop than tile entites (blocks you can interact with).

To kick things off I'm starting simple...food. I don't like bread because of its very low saturation and while meat is great that means entities. Anytime I start a new world, one of the first things I do after I make my hidey hole with a bed, furnace and crafting station, is get a sleeping bag and wander looking for the four berry bushes from Natura in the overworld with the goal of working toward this.

Bottom Line: Food Solved - 30 microseconds
cyk002Bl.png

More complete explanation here

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
This one is only possible with Rotarycraft in the pack but rather than spawning blazes you can exploit a positive feedback between the IC2 compressor and the Rotarycraft grinder to creat blaze powder from thin air once every 20 seconds. Beats wandering around deserts looking for cinderpearls or AFK'ing in the nether while a grinder kills blazes. As usual, it takes far less clock than a single blaze entity.

Bottom Line: 1 blaze powder every 20 seconds - 116 microseconds
48CPTDrl.png

Reactions: Yusunoha

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
This is WAY less processor intense than cyclic assemblers.
There were some excellent modifications/upgrades to this machine suggested here.

Bottom Line: One octuple compressed cobblestone every 13 hours - 24 microseconds
EYNVQoHl.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Yusunoha

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
the biggest SFM lag causer is the every tick redstone trigger (emitter and detector with RS trigger on rising and decreasing that swaps the emitter)

This is often seen in an auto sieve setup

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
In other words: things you can do with steves factory manager.

On a few of these designs I've tried to use other mods rather than SFM but I'm not ever able to undercut the tick time of the designs which use SFM. Even EnderIO and TE4 and XU can't quite do it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I find that instead of intervals, I use a block update detector to order it to run checks on things like ender-lilies.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I find that instead of intervals, I use a block update detector to order it to run checks on things like ender-lilies.

This is interesting and I want to give it a try to see if it further reduces update time. I've not used BUDs much in the past before, is the lowest lag one the one from XU? Although I would need one for each ender lily I suppose. That might well erase the benefit of the inventory manager not running its logic as often.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I haven't really tested them, but while you need one per lily, you'd need to put them on opposite sides to stop an infinite loop, and then I run them into MFR cable, or framed alloy wire. (Or EnderIO insulated conduit). That way I only need one redstone acceptor on the Factory Manager.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking the way to go would be one BUD sitting atop a redstone receiver and an ender lily planted NSEW of the BUD. Four ender lily plants on ender cores being accelerated with an AA using a reinforced watering can would still produce obscene numbers of ender pearls quickly.

EDIT: I tried this on at least three different occasions but no matter how I implement them BUDs do not reduce the load on the server. Just let this happily run once a second and be done with it.

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So I am sure I'm not the first one who has thought of this or done it, but I can't find anything about it online, so I decided to make a post about it.

So we call like to get our gold farms going. Whether it was soul shards or now EnderIO. But what if there was a way to do it without any spawners?

So I set up my spawner and was getting gold. Great. Slower now since EnderIO spawners are slow without a lot of power and capacitors. Then I was killing them manually since I needed draconic souls. Well, I got a pigman trophy. Nothing special. Til I placed it down, and right clicked. 1 gold Nugget. Kay. Only happens once in a while. Orrrr, immediately every time you place it down. Okay, creative gears turning.

So at this point, I'm making two autonomous activators and a block breaker. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may only need one autonomous, but it works regardless. So, I set up EnderIO item conduits with filters, as well as a 6 repeater max delay redstone clock for the block breaker. This is because the block breaker will break the trophy before the activators can get the nugget, And VWALA!

View attachment 15469View attachment 15472View attachment 15474View attachment 15475

Kinda broken, but also kinda slow. But still. Pretty awesome. Can reduce mob lag a lot I imagine. Only entity that would be on the ground is a single nugget ever 6 seconds or so. Unless of course you do multiples of these. But the best part about this, is it takes absolutely no power.
Looks like ElectroToxin found a solution to the gold farm problem that doesn't involve a power-hungry MFR laser drill or a pigman farm. Any thoughts on how this could be improved? I'm guessing replacing the AAs with carefully timed Tool Dynamism Tablets from Thaumic Tinkerer (which can respond to redstone pulses) and finding some way to get the dropped nugget off the ground faster- maybe a transfer node with a few world interaction upgrades, a Blood Magic Call of the Zephyr ritual, or some SFM item valves? Hmm, for that matter, SFM could handle pulsing the tablet on its own as well as placing and removing the trophy, without the need for external redstone circuitry.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Bottom Line: 1 gold block every 90 seconds; <40 microseconds execution time
mQAqjbt.png

Full Write Up

Huh, I didn't realize that the cooldown reset upon break/place. Yeah this opens the door wide for abuse! Without doing much optimization and just using a simple SFM block gate, rapid item valve, inventory manager, and a TE4 AA to right click the trophy I am generating a block of gold every 90 seconds. I have the inventory manager autocrafting nuggets into ingots and ingots into blocks and stuffing the blocks into a barrel. Lag is super low and varies a lot depending on how many nugget entities spawn while the timing routine runs. The lowest number I got was 1.363 microseconds with no entities and the highest I've seen is 40 microseconds with five entities.

Edit: I've tried using an OpenBlock BUD and a SFM redstone emitter to pulse the AA once per break/place hoping that it would speed up gold nugget generation but the opposite happens. Now instead of spawning a nugget 85% of the time it drops to closer to 50%. Normally the AA and the inventory manager are not in sync and so sometimes a trophy is placed and broken without the AA clicking it. Trying to get them syncronized does worse because there is enough lag between pulsing the redstone emiter and it actually acting that sometimes the inventory manager moves on with breaking the trophy before the AA can act. Rather than every 85 seconds I should be able to get a block of gold every 72 seconds if things worked perfectly. I'll keep playing.

Last edited:

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Use an SFM redstone emitter to trigger the AA?

I tried, the inventory manager pushes on with block break faster than the AA can right click and so many cycles go without producing a nugget. I even tried putting both crafts between redstone pulse and block break but still the AA isn't fast enough some of the time.