Low FPS most fixes dont work

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019
I have 4 gbs of ram dedicated. Java 8. Fastcraft, and java set to use my GPU and I still have bad FPs. I'm also having an issue where the game is using 80% of memory until i change dimensions. Then it drops back to it's normal 40%.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
What dimension is it?

And it may be Java 8. I don't like the idea of Java 8, people have said that you have to use a workaround to get it to work with 1.7 and earlier

Reactions: RedBoss

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019
What dimension is it?

And it may be Java 8. I don't like the idea of Java 8, people have said that you have to use a workaround to get it to work with 1.7 and earlier
I am playing on 1.7.10. Any dimension. It doesnt matter which one I go to, it returns my memory usage back to normal.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
It might be best, If you are playing a modpack. To let java use your cpu and gpu.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
How did you set it to use gpu. What ever you did to do that, do it backwards.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
It is a bit incorrect to say Java is using the guy. As it happens minecraft uses OpenGL for its 3d graphics and minecraft happens to be written in Java and hence hosted in a Java.exe process.

Laptop operating systems try to guess, based on the process name, if each process should be hosted on the low power gpu or have access to the more power hungry high performance gpu.

Because Java is usually used to host server applications the default setting for Java.exe processes could be to use the integrated display so this needs to be changed in the display driver settings.

Java does not in any technical sense use the gpu for anything. But minecrafts OpenGL based graphics code can take advantage.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Also, If you are using a laptop. Sorry laptops can not run minecraft. As long as you have a laptop you are going to have low fps.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
What a bunch of nonsense being spewed here... Java 8 works fine, a laptop can certainly run modded minecraft(as above depends on the laptop)

We need modpack/list, computer specs and the minecraft setup(specifically JVM's and RAM allocation) before having the slightest clue what is happening.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
For optimal performance on machines using an Intel processor, I can recommend the following setup for maximum performance on 1.7.10:

Install FastCraft. http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=10820 There is absolutely no reason not to have this, most modpacks are smart enough to include it now.

MultiMC 5. http://multimc.org/ Beats any other launcher in terms of speed, flexibility, and support. You can manually import packs from other launchers and it has support for automatic launching of FTB packs that you have downloaded.

Minimum memory allocation of 256MB. Java is mostly grown up, it can decide how little memory it needs. Realistically your minimum will sit closer to 512MB but that's okay.

Maximum memory allocation of 3072MB. Most packs are just fine with this much, the less memory you can allocate, the better garbage collection performance will be. Experiment to see how low you can go, I find 2.5GB is enough for my custom pack.

Java 8 Update 45 Development Kit. Better known as JDK, you can find it here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html Make sure the launcher is set to use that specifically if you have other versions installed.

Leave the PermGen alone. Java 8 handles this independently and its called MetaSpace, which you shouldn't touch. Set it to 256MB if you ignored my advice and used an outdated version of Java.

Make sure your power plan is on High Performance. Some computers default to the Balanced Plan which usually hampers your graphics card performance at minimum and your processor maximum speed in some cases.

Still having performance issues? You either have insufficient hardware or a mod causing problems. Below are some solutions you can try:

Get Optifine HD U B5. http://optifine.net/downloads.php It has some minor overlap with FastCraft but does provide another performance boost, it does occasionally introduce a rendering glitch though.

Add -XX:+DisableExplicitGC to your client JVM arguments. This rarely fixes anything because modders shouldn't be stupid enough to manually invoke garbage collection. If they are, this stops them from doing so.

Run the game at lower resolution. This only helps if you are limited by your graphics card, this would only be the case with weak graphics processing units, such as those integrated into processors.

Switch to or dual boot a Linux kernel based operating system. This will have the largest benefit if you are memory limited, it saves a bit of memory and you can disable all the stuff you don't need. Avoid this option if you are also graphics performance limited, as the graphics drivers are usually best on Windows. I suggest something Debian based like Mint or Ubuntu if you are new to Linux or Arch Linux if you are adept and don't mind a learning curve.

That's all I have for now folks. The list is in order of measurable effort, from smallest to largest. Shoot me a message if there is something I should add to this list.

Reactions: MrZwij

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019
What a bunch of nonsense being spewed here... Java 8 works fine, a laptop can certainly run modded minecraft(as above depends on the laptop)

We need modpack/list, computer specs and the minecraft setup(specifically JVM's and RAM allocation) before having the slightest clue what is happening.
No problem

Modpack: flux Galaxy

Specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45

GPU: NVidia Geforce 760

CPU: Intel Core I5

RAM: Vengeance 8 gb dual channel DDR3 w/ 4 gb allocated to Minecraft.

My setup in Minecraft, I have everything on low, performance unlimited, 5 chunks loaded. Even down to 2 chunks it didnt make any difference in performance. If by JVM you mean my java verion its Java 8 Update 40 64bit.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Question: what is your performance in vanilla. If we can get a baseline good performance out of that, then we can work on figuring out the modded bottleneck.
If on the other hand your laptop can't manage excellent vanilla performance, getting even mediocre performance out of modded will be a bloody stretch.

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019
Question: what is your performance in vanilla. If we can get a baseline good performance out of that, then we can work on figuring out the modded bottleneck.
If on the other hand your laptop can't manage excellent vanilla performance, getting even mediocre performance out of modded will be a bloody stretch.
im on a desktop, not a laptop.

I get excellent performance on vanilla. 350+ fps.

Last edited:

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019
For optimal performance on machines using an Intel processor, I can recommend the following setup for maximum performance on 1.7.10:

Install FastCraft. http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=10820 There is absolutely no reason not to have this, most modpacks are smart enough to include it now.

MultiMC 5. http://multimc.org/ Beats any other launcher in terms of speed, flexibility, and support. You can manually import packs from other launchers and it has support for automatic launching of FTB packs that you have downloaded.

Minimum memory allocation of 256MB. Java is mostly grown up, it can decide how little memory it needs. Realistically your minimum will sit closer to 512MB but that's okay.

Maximum memory allocation of 3072MB. Most packs are just fine with this much, the less memory you can allocate, the better garbage collection performance will be. Experiment to see how low you can go, I find 2.5GB is enough for my custom pack.

Java 8 Update 45 Development Kit. Better known as JDK, you can find it here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html Make sure the launcher is set to use that specifically if you have other versions installed.

Leave the PermGen alone. Java 8 handles this independently and its called MetaSpace, which you shouldn't touch. Set it to 256MB if you ignored my advice and used an outdated version of Java.

Make sure your power plan is on High Performance. Some computers default to the Balanced Plan which usually hampers your graphics card performance at minimum and your processor maximum speed in some cases.

Still having performance issues? You either have insufficient hardware or a mod causing problems. Below are some solutions you can try:

Get Optifine HD U B5. http://optifine.net/downloads.php It has some minor overlap with FastCraft but does provide another performance boost, it does occasionally introduce a rendering glitch though.

Add -XX:+DisableExplicitGC to your client JVM arguments. This rarely fixes anything because modders shouldn't be stupid enough to manually invoke garbage collection. If they are, this stops them from doing so.

Run the game at lower resolution. This only helps if you are limited by your graphics card, this would only be the case with weak graphics processing units, such as those integrated into processors.

Switch to or dual boot a Linux kernel based operating system. This will have the largest benefit if you are memory limited, it saves a bit of memory and you can disable all the stuff you don't need. Avoid this option if you are also graphics performance limited, as the graphics drivers are usually best on Windows. I suggest something Debian based like Mint or Ubuntu if you are new to Linux or Arch Linux if you are adept and don't mind a learning curve.

That's all I have for now folks. The list is in order of measurable effort, from smallest to largest. Shoot me a message if there is something I should add to this list.

optifine really helped. now my fps is staying between 60-150.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
It really really does do wonders!

Also check in the launcher under options that minecraft is using the 64bit version of java.