Lost My save ingame but still is in saves folder

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Obituallist

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys i lost my saved game this morning and read on here just to make a new save with same name and it worked but it will not save any further then it is now is there a solution to this ? hoping my file is not to corrupted it was huge build =(

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If your save is gone from ingame, but still in the saves folder, then it is most likely due to the "level.dat_old" file having vanished. You can copy one over from a backup and it should work(you might loose items you recently added to your inventory etc. though).

Obituallist

Jul 29, 2019
i got it playing again it just wont save anymore .. can use any "level.dat_old" or does it have to be from back up?

Obituallist

Jul 29, 2019
i have found my backup location and there is not "level.dat_old" file in it ... can anyone shed some light on this please?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Create a new world with the same exact name. It should place you in the same world, just at a different location and without your inventory.

Reactions: ThomazM

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
@Obituallist: Is there a level.dat file in the backup? Use that. Any level.dat in fact would work to "restore" access to the world, but the seed will be different so any terrain subsequently generated will not seam properly. Creating a new game, with the same name, should create a new level.dat in the existing folder and it will pick up the existing region data files so your build will be preserved. Of course, the new level.dat will have a new seed so...

@rhn: What generates level.dat_old?

@Obituallist: What do you mean it won't save anymore? This makes it sound like one of the region data files has become corrupt. If you want to try and save your world, go into the "region" folder of your save game (if you can find your level.dat you can find this) and open each of the .mca files therein with a zip/archive tool. Delete the .mca that does not open.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
@rhn: What generates level.dat_old?
Dunno, MC I guess. I have a level.dat, level.dat_mcr and a level.dat_old in my save folders in 1.6.
Lost the level.dat_old a couple times which resulted in the save not showing up ingame. Replacing it with one from a backup was possible. Instead of replacing the whole thing with the backup.