Lost everything after deleting MultiMC entry

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
Direwolf20
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
I don't know any "Log Link", but I did a really, really stupid thing that I'm probably wasting my time posting here. I have the pack in MultiMC. It doesn't work fully as it runs out of memory, and I've just been using the FTB launcher.

I removed it today, thinking it would just remove the entry from MultiMC. When I tried to launch in FTB, it was saying it was downloading a mod pack. Yet there was no updates.
When trying to load my single player world... it was gone. All of my settings have been reset. I've lost EVERYTHING, including my backups.

I... I'm just posting in hopes there's a way to restore everything I worked so hard on. I don't want to be forced to restart all over again. As I said, I did so much work on that world. I had no idea that entry in MultiMC was the actual pack, including my save.

peterix

Jul 29, 2019
For next time: keeping backups in the same {folder, drive, computer, room, building, city} - depending on how paranoid you are, is a bad idea. I'm sorry you had to learn that the hard way.

Yes, delete is a permanent delete. As TackGS said, you should do an undelete as soon as possible. And probably without allowing anything to write to the drive.

As for delete in MultiMC - it does what it says and it asks if you're sure you want to do that:
A05hEmU.png

What should it say to make it clear that it will delete everything indiscriminately?

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
My friend suggested I use Recuva. It didn't find the region files for the world, only the Nether.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Title:
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
Direwolf20
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
I don't know any "Log Link", but I did a really, really stupid thing that I'm probably wasting my time posting here. I have the pack in MultiMC. It doesn't work fully as it runs out of memory, and I've just been using the FTB launcher.

I removed it today, thinking it would just remove the entry from MultiMC. When I tried to launch in FTB, it was saying it was downloading a mod pack. Yet there was no updates.
When trying to load my single player world... it was gone. All of my settings have been reset. I've lost EVERYTHING, including my backups.

I... I'm just posting in hopes there's a way to restore everything I worked so hard on. I don't want to be forced to restart all over again. As I said, I did so much work on that world. I had no idea that entry in MultiMC was the actual pack, including my save.

Always make backups. BTW, wasn't an auto-backup active?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Always make backups. BTW, wasn't an auto-backup active?
The problem is the backups that where made also got deleted. The words of wisdom for this case are always make backups on at least different drive

peterix

Jul 29, 2019
If those backups are done automatically, it's not done right. It should at least put them elsewhere...

Anyway, this is how the confirmation dialog will look like in the next version:
ih1iDDr.png

TacoGS

Jul 29, 2019
Wisdom dictates that secure backups are not made in sub-directories of the source parent directory. It is like putting the a backup generator next to the one that caught on fire.

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I hardly know anything about AromaBackup or even how to control it, and I've never found any sites that list the commands of the mod. It just does 30 minute backups in its own folder, but also with the direwolf20 pack.
Is there a way to specify a different place for them to place their backups?