Looking to catch up

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yo yo, ftb chat! Been a while.

I'm back in the game. A few weeks ago, a buddy of mine started a new 1.14 realms server and we all got the bug again. I was actually really impressed with the changes since 1.12. I think they absolutely nailed it, particularly 1.13 (I haven't really explored the 1.14 specific stuff yet).

But, I come from modded, of course we're running some client side mods. Today, we're forced to upgrade to 1.15, so it's decision time:

I was never going to let it stay in realms, I'm going to rehost it either way. But, we have a couple weeks left on realms and I was hooooping to move the server and upgrade to 1.15 at the same time, and maybe include a few vanilla-fitting mods once they become available.

How long, like generally, does it take for forgee to catch up to the next major release? Is it weeks or months? What is this fabric thing? It seems to be able to do new updates immediately, is this taking over? Is it worth it?

Or is just a temporary stopgap and I should stick with a 1.14.4 server and forge because forge is right around the corner?

Bonus question, with either options, besides the obvious client side mods we're already using (jei, hwyla, etc), what gameplay changing mods might fit a vanilla feel the best?

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
Forge for 1.15.1 has been out for almost a whole day! That does mean some of the more enthusiastic mod authors can start developing for it (if that's what they choose to do, of course), but it is also very much still teething. As I understand it, the rendering changes were significant, and I'm not privy to what is on their TODO list before calling a build stable. No JEI or the like yet, and is almost certainly going to be pretty shaky for, well, I hesitate to give a time. For the immediate term anyway.

I'm not qualified to answer the bonus question, so I'm not going to try!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Wait, Minecraft 1.15 is out?! Man I’m behind. Glad to see you back ‘bretto, and nice to hear someone being positive about the recent changes in Minecraft - I quite like them too! :)

Unfortunately I can’t be of much help, but I think Omm has it right! :)

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Bonus question, with either options, besides the obvious client side mods we're already using (jei, hwyla, etc), what gameplay changing mods might fit a vanilla feel the best?
Realistic Terrain Generation, which completely changes terrain generation but doesn't add new biomes, blocks, or mobs.
Preserves the vanilla feel but makes the game actually look good.
It's amazing with shaders.

Can't say I've been keeping up with the vanilla updates, been playing on Hypixel and Wynncraft a lot recently. New updates add new things to grind.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
In 1.14, there's a mod called Create which is actually pretty amazing, and has a very vanilla-esque feel.

It uses mechanical power, something akin to the BTW shafting system. There are NO GUI's, everything is done by building mechanisms and using them. For example, you can make a 'fan'. If the fan blows across a lava source block, then it can smelt items beyond the lava source block. If it's a fire, it will cook them. There's a belting/shafting system which is really awesome. To increase/decrease speed of mechanisms, you use gearing of different sizes to increase the speed of the shaft.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Hey guys!

So, I did end up sticking with 1.14.4 for now, I'll give the mods time to catch up. There's actually just enough in 1.14 to feel like I out together a neat little mini modpack with everything it needs to feel complete. Very vanilla feel, but stuff to do.

Abd I did run into Create! OMG, this is will be a shoe in for mod of the year. With the relatively light selection of 1.14 mods out there, it really stands out. But it really, really stands out on it's own. This will be in every pack for this version abd up. Really impressive.

I will get into 1.15 once there's a good base of mods. I will be transitioning into making mods soon as I'm jumping into a programming career and it'll be good practice. I want to use the bees as a platform to create a bunch of drones that mine, chop, farm, kill, etc. But for now, 1.14 will do just fine. There's enough out there to have a complete experience. I might have messed up and made that pack I've been wanting to make for a while. The elusive "vanilla with benefits"

Honestly, I love the underwater update so much I don't think I'll go back to anything prior to this version for quite a while. For example, check out this fully vanilla fish tank/item sorter I'm working on:

Since items float, I put some droppers at the bottom of a fish tank as an input to a sorting system im still working on. The items float up the fish tank like bubbles. You can shave sheep with dispensers now, so i set up pens with every color sheep that sheers then, gets collected by a hopper cart abd sends the colorful blocks up and through the fish tank as they're collected, then sent up a chute for sorting. All vanilla. Love it!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Good call Shneeky with Create, and glad you’ve found that Drbretto! I saw some mod spotlights on that and it looks AMAZING

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Good call Shneeky with Create, and glad you’ve found that Drbretto! I saw some mod spotlights on that and it looks AMAZING

Oh, man, I was watching their showcase with my jaw on the floor. I haven't dived in yet, but man, it looks impressive. It will be heavily featured in my castle builds. Picture it, a drawbridge, with smooth animation, run by gears that actually work? Walls that slowly rise when it starts getting dark? Man, I need to stop now before I don't finish my sorter.