Looking into hosting server

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Brammm

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys

I'm looking into hosting my own FTB server, however, I am a little hesitant. I've played on a Vanilla server before and things were just peachy. When I moved to a Tekkit server a while ago, we ran into lots of lag very quickly and the server constantly crashing.

I'm hearing similar things about FTB. Is this simply the nature of the mods/the game? Can you overcome this? I do not want to disable stuff like Mystcraft or whatever. What hardware are you looking at to guarantee a trouble-free server where 20-smth players can enjoy the game?

Brammm

Jul 29, 2019
That's the feeling I'm getting indeed. I'm wondering if I might be able to pull off a decent server by putting something up at home (decent CPU/8gig ram/ssd) and putting it live with DynDNS.

Brammm

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, forgot about that one for a second, it's only 2.5Mbps. I might upgrade it to 4Mbps, but even that's not gonna cut it, is it?

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
you should be able to run 6 people + yourself and anyone else on the same lan

Because of that I normally do a Minecraft LAN party every couple weeks

my download is 5 and my upload is .5