Looking forward to 1.6

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
people complain because it takes long for everything to update and then it might cause problems for some people, and then they will mess up and push 5 new versions in a week.
Then they could do something right and not have 5 versions. With all the time they have, why don't they just sit down and focus on one thing we've asked for rather than horses and bats and things people won't even use like carpets.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Who's to say that people that don't use mods *Shudders* won't want carpets? They don't have cool stuff like microblocks that we have, so they'll take what they can get.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Then they could do something right and not have 5 versions. With all the time they have, why don't they just sit down and focus on one thing we've asked for rather than horses and bats and things people won't even use like carpets.
Speak for yourself. I would rather horses and bats then some mod breaking feature that doesnt matter to me. They should (and have been) work on making improvements, but they should also focus on more features for mapmakers (I have noticed a disturbing lack of mapmaking features in most mods #equallity4all) and vanilla players. Why do we play mods? right because vanilla gets boring, but every time they try to add something the modded community gets mad at them about it

Reactions: Chocorate

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Who's to say that people that don't use mods *Shudders* won't want carpets? They don't have cool stuff like microblocks that we have, so they'll take what they can get.
I guess people use wolves, right? And rain isn't annoying, right? The point Biggle and I are trying to make is that these are all cool features, but it should come after the glaring FPS and lighting issues that they ignore.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I guess people use wolves, right? And rain isn't annoying, right? The point Biggle and I are trying to make is that these are all cool features, but it should come after the glaring FPS and lighting issues that they ignore.
what are you talking about? wolves are amazin <3. They don't really ignore lighting. It seems every update they try to fix it but it turns out horribly wrong and they remove it. Also they should try to focus on making it easy for existing mods to update.

Reactions: Chocorate

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
I read that mobs won't spawn on carpets, which would actually make them quite useful to me. I favor large rooms, which are difficult to fully light without a wrathlamp or ugly torches on the ground. Xycraft bricks can do this too, but they really mess with my feng shui.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I read that mobs won't spawn on carpets, which would actually make them quite useful to me. I favor large rooms, which are difficult to fully light without a wrathlamp or ugly torches on the ground. Xycraft bricks can do this too, but they really mess with my feng shui.

Wow, yeah. That would be pretty nice.

Sure, I could just make my entire floor out of glass, but that just doesn't look that cool. And half-blocks have always been awkward for me. Carpet would be nice.

I SHALL BLANKET THE WORLD.

Reactions: Katrinya

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, the new additions that I am looking forward to are the updated Vanilla LWJGL and the culling of legacy Java versions.
This will both increase FPS and increase compatibility with new video settings and mod features.

Reactions: Greyed

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, quick look, based on how I mod Minecraft.

• Horses - Meh.
  • Carpets - Double Meh.
  • Coal blocks - Kinda Meh, good they're putting it in but no charcoal equivalent?
  • Leads - Meh. Don't even need a nether star for a portal gun to move mobs around. MFR and Dartcraft both have pokeball mechanics for mobs. Almost as cheap and don't have the problem of having to lead the mob where you want it to go.
  • Comparitor stuff - Triple Meh. Look, Redstone placement sucks. It has always sucked, it still sucks. Anyone who has messed with Red Alloy or Rednet would probably drink broken glass than try to work with vanilla redstone placement again.
I have to echo what other people have said here. Mojang's focus right now is completely off. Here's my short list of what has gone on far too long without resolution.
  • We've gone several minor version numbers with a broken lighting system. This should be priority #1 because it is a core mechanic of the game.
  • In addition to that, from the mod perspective, 15 light levels is far too few. 14, torchlight, 15 daylight! Where are we supposed to fit tech lighting which is stronger than torches but weaker than daylight in that scale? :/
  • A proper modding API. I know people say we have Forge. Those involved with Forge have done some amazing things. Quite frankly, the work done by Forge is stuff that Mojang should've been doing this whole time, period. Just because Forge exists doesn't absolve Mojang from providing a proper API. If anything it highlights that they are neglecting that area. It is so bad that at this point the best thing Mojang could do is drop a couple dozen thousand $$ on each of the Forge devs, license it out, and hammer out a contract for the Forge team to continue their updates at a known, set rate. You know how I said lightning was priority #1? Yeah, I was counting it as a developer would, which means 0 starts the index. This is priority 0. :)
  • FPS & world loading should be head of the list, too. I have this problem where a strip of the world will not load. To clear it I have to save/exit/reload. I thought it was related to Optifine's alternative chunk loading. So I ripped Optifine out, first load I had the same error. So it is a vanilla problem.
Finally, after all of the above is looked at, comes content. Heck, only after the above has been looked at least a dozen times do we get to content. And here, they've got it easy. The forms in which people mod Minecraft is fairly standard. We often inject mechanics which provide tiered levels of efficiency when it comes to mechanics as well as address the downright annoying warts of the vanilla mechanics. For the efficiency part think of how many mods include methods of smelting which don't really change the mechanics of what the stone furnace does, but either makes it more convenient (no more batches of 8) or more efficient either in power, time or both. For the warts think about how many mods introduce methods of fast travel, or non-random methods of enchantment/player power. Those, too, are often tiered. If Mojang wants to add more content, they should start doing that and a whole lot less of shotgun, random features which are unstructured, untiered, and in the light of the plethora of mods out there, unoriginal.

IE,at this point Mojang cannot create quality, original content faster than the modding community does. Right now they are ignoring the core mechanics of the game and trying to generate content. They should be doing the exact opposite. They should be focusing on the core mechanics, and any mechanics which makes creating, distributing and installing, mods easier and get out of content almost completely.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
My opinins:

-Horses-If I want them I can get a mod called Mo'Cretaures

-Carpets-Redpower and Immibus add something called "microblocks"

-New clay blocks-If I want new blocks I can add them my self

-New zombies-Terrible

-New coal block- Finnaly something good.

1.5 things that I don't like:

-Super Hard Skelletons early game

-Hoppers-One word:BUILDCRAFT

darkslayr425

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly leads might get useful for villagers, so you can keep them somewhere in your attempts at mystcraft domination

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I'm more excited about what 1.5 is yet to bring to FTB. I'm sure though that mods will have all sorts of cool stuff coming in 1.6, just like I'm actually more excited about what mods are going to bring in 1.5 than what vanilla brings.

I'm not super excited about horses, but I have to say I will probably use and like them early game. For someone like me who likes to do a lot of traveling/exploring before settling down that early speed will be quite useful (though I guess it also depends on how easy/hard it'll eventually be to make/get a saddle).

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, every time they rewrite parts of vanilla(like the texture change), people complain because it takes long for everything to update and then it might cause problems for some people, and then they will mess up and push 5 new versions in a week. I think its better if they focus on making it easier for existing mods to update, sure I would like a higher FPS but not if I had to wait a year for RP2 to update for it. Not to mention fraps just brings it down to like 7 no matter what.

Okay here is the difference between you and me here.

1. You want mod updates ease to happen first, proper performance and backend second. This is akin to building a small house that has gradually turned into a slum as people have added onto it with the tools given; things slowly spiral out of control until you're sitting feeding your input chest that goes into the massive beast of a sorting and processing system and about one fifth of the framerate anyone should be getting on on midrange hardware, where every new update brings this house of cards ever closer to the fan of doom even if they give us an actual API, the game itself was never designed for this, and I somehow doubt its going to be anywhere near as good as forge already is for the first few versions.You are saying to basically sweep the catshit under the rug and ignore the smell.

2. I want them to get their shit together, make a massive overhaul so we arnt sitting here with 50 further mini patches that each screw up a Russian roulette of hapless mods. One or two large changes to tyhe core game itself to accommodate for by designa streamlined process and API when dealing with mods and the ever degrading performance status of this game so this bs stops and people can happily make mods with ease and we can all enjoy proper framerates even when we are in the middle of a massive clusterfuck that is our beloved virtual home. I am saying engineer a robot to teach that fucking cat to take a shit in the toilet and do the damn dishes and your statistics homework too.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
Um that is why they release the snapshots for all of minecrafts updates. A few people have less of a chance to finding some of the bugs but by releasing it and getting feed back from the vast majority who play the game they get at least an Idea where all the major bugs need to be fixed. Most products go through product testing so that is why they do the snapshots.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Okay here is the difference between you and me here.

1. You want mod updates ease to happen first, proper performance and backend second. This is akin to building a small house that has gradually turned into a slum as people have added onto it with the tools given; things slowly spiral out of control until you're sitting feeding your input chest that goes into the massive beast of a sorting and processing system and about one fifth of the framerate anyone should be getting on on midrange hardware, where every new update brings this house of cards ever closer to the fan of doom even if they give us an actual API, the game itself was never designed for this, and I somehow doubt its going to be anywhere near as good as forge already is for the first few versions.You are saying to basically sweep the catshit under the rug and ignore the smell.

2. I want them to get their shit together, make a massive overhaul so we arnt sitting here with 50 further mini patches that each screw up a Russian roulette of hapless mods. One or two large changes to tyhe core game itself to accommodate for by designa streamlined process and API when dealing with mods and the ever degrading performance status of this game so this bs stops and people can happily make mods with ease and we can all enjoy proper framerates even when we are in the middle of a massive clusterfuck that is our beloved virtual home. I am saying engineer a robot to teach that fucking cat to take a shit in the toilet and do the damn dishes and your statistics homework too.
I want new content and forwards compatibility, which they have been doing. The thing is I don't really have any problems with regular vanilla MC. I get about 60 fps on far render distance with fast graphics (as I have a pretty crappy computer) I have a lot of FPS issues with FTB but thats not Mojang's fault. Lighting is also not really that broken. It is with slabs and those kind of things but it could (and has been before) a lot worse. They also have been adding general game improvements. They already said the reason they haven't added too much in 1.6 is because they are working hard on the new launcher. Not to mention there have been a ton of bugfixes in the last couple updates look at the changelog.

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
My opinins:

-Horses-If I want them I can get a mod called Mo'Cretaures

-Carpets-Redpower and Immibus add something called "microblocks"

-New clay blocks-If I want new blocks I can add them my self

-New zombies-Terrible

-New coal block- Finnaly something good.

1.5 things that I don't like:

-Super Hard Skelletons early game

-Hoppers-One word:BUILDCRAFT

Sorry, but you have exactly the wrong idea.
Who cares if a mod has the same feature? You aren't supposed to install a mod just to get a new feature.
Your perspective is like 'I play FTB, I already have these features', where coming from a Vanilla viewpoint 'Wow, hoppers, what a good idea!'. Vanilla Hoppers are actually far superior to BC Hoppers. More capacity, can push sideways and can pick up items from the world.

Jul 29, 2019
U8qWkVx.png

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
'Wow, hoppers, what a good idea!'. Vanilla Hoppers are actually far superior to BC Hoppers. More capacity, can push sideways and can pick up items from the world.
Yes, I knew that but you have to remember that in vanilla you are not supose to "automate" anything at all what so ever.

I care if a mod as the same feature because I can add that mod.
e.g.:Ender Chest.I already had that mod but mojang decided that if a mod is so well known they should add it to the original game but, as we both know, they just made an inferior less balanced version of it.[DOUBLEPOST=1367961594][/DOUBLEPOST]
LOL

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
Since when are you not supposed to automate anything?
Have you ever heard of an EXP Farm?