Looking forward to 1.6

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
So far there's horses. Not much expected to happen with mods with horses, is there?

Right, Leads? Don't work on villagers, but villager zombies... but that's vanilla...

Coal block. I can see that replacing obsidian, brick or flint at the core of an industrial diamond.

Baked clay block. I could see this replacing bricks in the redpower 2 alloy furnace.

Anybody else have some thoughts?

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Not enough stuff to interest me yet. Horses? Never were my thing. If someone could add an Extra Horses mod, that would be cool! Of course, they would most likely have absolutely no use, but whatever.
Leads? Maybe to bring penguins from the TF easier.
Coal Block? Better fuel in objects. Baked in a Coke Oven into a Coal Coke block, more creosote oil, and some kind of processing of the Coal Coke Block could refine it, making it better for power use, and yielding a sort of upgraded Creosote Oil which could make more ties and such.
Baked Clay? Good for Millenair(`e`).

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
OOOh, yes, coal block could indeed run through the coke oven, and possibly the blast furnace. Good thinking whiz.
I believe there's a mod that lets a lot of things burn, and the coal block from another mod, I think, was very useful with automation.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. Higher yield on the creosote?
Ooh! In a blast furnace, if you put the Coal Coke Block in the top and power in the bottom, it makes a more powerful Coal Coke Block that can be uncrafted into Refined Coal Coke or something. When it is made, more or better creosote oil is created, and can make more ties.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. Higher yield on the creosote?
Ooh! In a blast furnace, if you put the Coal Coke Block in the top and power in the bottom, it makes a more powerful Coal Coke Block that can be uncrafted into Refined Coal Coke or something. When it is made, more or better creosote oil is created, and can make more ties.
So you're burning coal with coal to make better coal for more coal oil so that you can make railroads to transfer coal. pardon me, but I don't think people will go to all that work for railcraft.

Reactions: Mash

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Let me burn the coal out of your coal coal coal.

I heard you liked coal.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I always kind of liked the horses in mo' creatures but I don't like owning one in real life to dammed expensive.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
horses: Awesome, I love them. Best things mojang added since command blocks IMO. However in FTB there are lots of other fast transport systems so of course I expect someone to add robot horses

carpets: basically useless

new zombie mechanic: horrible, buggy, and doesnt make any sense

coal block: gonna be really useful for storage. and if modders are gonna use it like I think they are gonna, it will make powering things with coal less annoying as you won't have to keep refilling it all the time. wish there were charcoal blocks as well with maybe a slightly different texture

leads: finally! Would be more useful without portal guns

new comparator functions: kinda happy about them. Its pretty useful for adventure maps I suppose. I would like to see more modders do similar stuff though.

wheat block: something i've been waiting for for a loooooooooooooooong time. Other then decoration not really sure how they could be used.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
horses: Awesome, I love them. Best things mojang added since command blocks IMO. However in FTB there are lots of other fast transport systems so of course I expect someone to add robot horses

carpets: basically useless

new zombie mechanic: horrible, buggy, and doesnt make any sense

coal block: gonna be really useful for storage. and if modders are gonna use it like I think they are gonna, it will make powering things with coal less annoying as you won't have to keep refilling it all the time. wish there were charcoal blocks as well with maybe a slightly different texture

wheat block: something i've been waiting for for a loooooooooooooooong time. Other then decoration not really sure how they could be used.
Zombie mechanic is stupid. I think they're trying to make it more 'difficult" but just as they messed up with Skeletons, they're not making the core fighting system any better. It's the same reason I can't stand DivineRPG, it doesn't change things. It increases stats and numbers. The enemies still walk directly into you and you have to hope you hit them fast enough so they don't hit first.

Other than that, I like how every one of those has been done by mods before, and Mojang isn't giving us the mod API or better lighting, or any core features.

I always kind of liked the horses in mo' creatures but I don't like owning one in real life to dammed expensive.
Thought you said, "too damned explosive"

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Zombie mechanic is stupid. I think they're trying to make it more 'difficult" but just as they messed up with Skeletons, they're not making the core fighting system any better. It's the same reason I can't stand DivineRPG, it doesn't change things. It increases stats and numbers. The enemies still walk directly into you and you have to hope you hit them fast enough so they don't hit first.

Other than that, I like how every one of those has been done by mods before, and Mojang isn't giving us the mod API or better lighting, or any core features.

Thought you said, "too damned explosive"
Its nice to have more features in the vanilla game though, (also I dont think the comparator features were added by any mods) Why does everyone care so much about an API? we have forge

Reactions: RedBoss

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Its nice to have more features in the vanilla game though, (also I dont think the comparator features were added by any mods) Why does everyone care so much about an API? we have forge
Anything to make the core game more smooth and awesome is better than more features (at least in my mind). And as for API, anything to make mod installation better. So we don't have to deal with conflicting IDs, deleting x, installing y API, making sure we have version z. Although Mojang would probably do a mediocre job and each update would still break mods, it'd be a nice thing to hope for I guess.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
They need start implementing performance re-writes with modding in mind. This game is going to start running into negative FPS in another couple major patches. More features in vanilla is great but even in vanilla performance has plummeted for no good reason when it should be gradually going up as hardware improves.

They should use the next major update to start shifting gears from making their own crap that is becoming more and more based off player mods (and absolutely cannot take that many man-hours to produce given they have much better tools and templates to go from), to helping their mod community, the community that is basically going to keep this game alive far after the mojang team stops support. The fact that mod authors still have to update mods for mincraft minor bug updates means to me that it is far more important to fix THAT issue, than just the bugs. Its like swatting a fly, but smashing it right into your dinner.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
They fixed the weird Jamie Madrox thing with zombies. Its extremely rare to spawn multiples now.

Horses - Meh. You can't craft saddles as of now, or horse armor. I imagine it'd be fine for vanilla players. I'd never use them other than to breed them like cows and sell illegal horse meat.

Clay blocks? We've had that, its called Red Rock

Carpet? Microblocks are superior in RP2 or Immibus

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
They need start implementing performance re-writes with modding in mind. This game is going to start running into negative FPS in another couple major patches. More features in vanilla is great but even in vanilla performance has plummeted for no good reason when it should be gradually going up as hardware improves.
First of all, every time they rewrite parts of vanilla(like the texture change), people complain because it takes long for everything to update and then it might cause problems for some people, and then they will mess up and push 5 new versions in a week. I think its better if they focus on making it easier for existing mods to update, sure I would like a higher FPS but not if I had to wait a year for RP2 to update for it. Not to mention fraps just brings it down to like 7 no matter what.