Looking for the perfect modpack and mods.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cechoo

Jul 29, 2019
Thinking that many of you would be pretty well informed about the different mods out there for minecraft including the many awesome packs for ftb, I thought to ask your opinions on what you guys think would be the best choices for my S.O. and I.(I pulled up the ftb pack comparison chart, but outer opinions are greatly helpful as there are so many mods.)

Here is the deal:
We are both huge gamers, but both have vastly different styles and preferences when it comes to gaming. I feel that Minecraft, with its large reservoir of fans and mod-packs, could be the perfect game for us to play together.(We are constantly on the search for the right game/universe to experience together and fill both of our wants and needs.)

My S.O. tends to be more into competition and action in games. He loves to adventure, slay things, and collect/make awesome loot. I, however, like to see games as more of a creative outlet and social experience. I enjoy to adventuring and slaying things too, but I much prefer to express myself through my choices and the things I make in games.

I guess what I am searching for is a pack or group of mods that emphasize on the adventuring, monster/boss slaying, and loot collecting aspects of gaming, yet contain or allow me to add in mods that accent building, customization, and aesthetic features.(I always say, "The more blocks I have to choose from the better.")

Thanks!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My custom Omega Dawn pack might be of interest. It's designed to enhance the survival aspects of the game while offering most of the tech/magic-tech that players are used to from FTB, on our private whitelisted server some of the players have hit 50+ deaths within a few weeks. Just last night I had a real bad encounter at my base that destroyed a bit of it and lost me all my equipped gear (my death count is around 16 so far)

It uses MJ and UE power for tech, has Twilight Forest, BoP, mods that add random ruins/cities to explore & loot. Zombies are more "intelligent", more hostile mobs.

This topic has some out of date info about the pack: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/omega-dawn-config-private-mod-pack-1-5-2.26728/

Not perfect, once you can get some tech in place in a secure area, the added difficulty vanishes.

Cechoo

Jul 29, 2019
My custom Omega Dawn pack might be of interest. It's designed to enhance the survival aspects of the game while offering most of the tech/magic-tech that players are used to from FTB, on our private whitelisted server some of the players have hit 50+ deaths within a few weeks. Just last night I had a real bad encounter at my base that destroyed a bit of it and lost me all my equipped gear (my death count is around 16 so far)

It uses MJ and UE power for tech, has Twilight Forest, BoP, mods that add random ruins/cities to explore & loot. Zombies are more "intelligent", more hostile mobs.

This topic has some out of date info about the pack: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/omega-dawn-config-private-mod-pack-1-5-2.26728/

Not perfect, once you can get some tech in place in a secure area, the added difficulty vanishes.
Thanks for the input. I would also like to add that we wouldn't mind high difficulty mods as we both love a challenge.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, you'd want to make your own.

Here's a pretty good starting modlist for what you want, and what I would do
Better Dungeons
Dungeon Pack
Hardcore Ender Expansion
Farlanders
Backpacks
Better Storage
Iron Chests
Twilight Forest
Lord of the Rings
Runic Dusts Mod
Weather Mod
Those are just the adventure mods that I could think of, there are tons more out there and I suggest you look around :)

Reactions: Saice

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

Here's a pretty good starting modlist for what you want, and what I would do
Better Dungeons
Dungeon Pack
Hardcore Ender Expansion
Farlanders
Backpacks
Better Storage
Iron Chests
Twilight Forest
Lord of the Rings
Runic Dusts Mod
Weather Mod
Those are just the adventure mods that I could think of, there are tons more out there and I suggest you look around :)

pretty much this. but I can imagine both of you being pretty new to modded minecraft and are not yet able to do make your own packs.
you'd probably want a pack that's quite popular for good documented information, so it comes down to which Minecraft version you want to play.
if it's 1.5, you could try Ultimate or Unhinged, if it's 1.6, try Resonant Rise from the ATLauncher.
Ultimate has quite alot of mods, so there's all kinds of mods you could like, Unhinged is about the same, except it has Gregtech which makes things harder.
Resonant Rise is also a modpack with quite alot of mods, and is currently updated for 1.6

Cechoo

Jul 29, 2019
pretty much this. but I can imagine both of you being pretty new to modded minecraft and are not yet able to do make your own packs.
you'd probably want a pack that's quite popular for good documented information, so it comes down to which Minecraft version you want to play.
if it's 1.5, you could try Ultimate or Unhinged, if it's 1.6, try Resonant Rise from the ATLauncher.
Ultimate has quite alot of mods, so there's all kinds of mods you could like, Unhinged is about the same, except it has Gregtech which makes things harder.
Resonant Rise is also a modpack with quite alot of mods, and is currently updated for 1.6
I'm not new to modding in minecraft, but starting out with a pack as a base would help a lot. I would prefer to go with 1.6 since I am going through the trouble of putting together my own choice of mods anyways.

Thanks for the lists guys. I'm going through them slowly to pick the most suitable ones. I am also looking for some good building/aesthetic mods.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not new to modding in minecraft, but starting out with a pack as a base would help a lot. I would prefer to go with 1.6 since I am going through the trouble of putting together my own choice of mods anyways.

Thanks for the lists guys. I'm going through them slowly to pick the most suitable ones. I am also looking for some good building/aesthetic mods.
Yep, what you're doing really is the best option, in my opinion. And the nifty thing is that over time you'll tweak the configs, add or remove a mod, so you get exactly the experience you want to get out of your game. And that makes ALL the difference.

Good luck and have fun. ;)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

:)

I agree with this guy. Since your looking for "prefect" that means you have your own idea of what that is going to mean. No premade pack is going to fit that. Though it might be a good starting point. I would suggest looking at Santa's list there, Also check out the lists for the FTB mod packs offred, I would also should point out ATlauncher and its list of premade packs.

None of these will be prefect for you but it can give you an idea of whats out there and might be a good starting point to work off of.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Italplayer11

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion you should really look into making your own pack or go to the AT Launcher. If you are going to make your own modpack it seems that most problems with ID conflicts are almost sorted up [I downloaded the mods put them together and didn't have to change one ID]. My suggestions if you make you own modpack is this

1. Keep your console open so you can see what problems are happening
2. Depending on what you like I would suggest going with a magic / technical pack (Thaumcraft, Ars-Magica, Dartcraft, Mystcraft, but also add IC2, Buildcraft and so on)
3. Make sure to check configs for some mods don't enable the generation of their own ores when you originally download said mod.
4. Make sure you like you modpack and don't let what other people do influence you in a negative way.

EDIT - P.S if you need any help with a modpack feel free to message me on the fourms.

Cechoo

Jul 29, 2019
I downloaded the ATLauncher and thought about going with the "vanilla" pack with optifine and forge, then add my choice of mods from there. I plan to host the server via LAN. This is possible. Correct?

I have started compiling an extensive list of mods that seem to poke at our interests thanks to the suggestions provided and a bit of research. I am, however, keeping it limited to mods updated for MC version 1.6.
AlgaeCraft
Artifice
Backpack Mod
Better Dungeons Mod
Bibliocraft
Bibliowoods Biomes O' Plenty
Bibliowoods Forestry
Bibliowoods Natura
Biomes O' Plenty
Buildcraft
Buildcraft Tools
Carpenter's Blocks
ChickenChunks
Chisel Mod
CodeChicken Core
ChocoCraft
Dungeon Pack
EnderStorage
ExtraBiomesXL
Factorization
Forestry
Furniture Mod
Hardcore Ender Expansion
HexWool
Immibis Core
Immibis' Microblocks
Infernal Mobs
Iron Chests
Magicbees
MinefactoryReloaded
Mo' Creatures Mod
Natura
Nether Ores
Note Block Selection GUI
PowerCrystalsCore
Railcraft
Redlogic
Runic Dusts v2(waiting on update)
Thaumcraft 4
Thaumcraft Extras
Thirst Mod
TinkersConstruct
TrainCraft
Twilight Forest
Underground Biomes
Wireless Redstone(chickenbones)
Witchery
Zan's Minimap

This list is by no means complete, nor is anything in it definite. I am trying to find mods that compliment the ones I have selected or single out ones that would not co-operate properly with the rest. If there is anything critical that I am missing that is required for what I have selected, let me know.

We were actually really interested in that Better Dungeon's mod, but it seems to not have been updated properly. Is there anything else out there that might give a similar experience?

Cechoo

Jul 29, 2019
Better Dungeons was just updated to 1.6 in case you haven't seen.
Really? I may have seen an older post for it then or missed it entirely. Thanks for the notice. That makes us both happy as it was one of the mods that we liked the most.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, custom modpacks are great. When i first started playing FTB i found myself heavily modifying everything, and when 1.5 came i said "hey, why not make my own" *coughmymodlistisinmysignaturecough*

... Although, it's more of a pile of random mods than a modpack. I honestly don't think anyone besides me would play ;)

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, custom modpacks are great. When i first started playing FTB i found myself heavily modifying everything, and when 1.5 came i said "hey, why not make my own" *coughmymodlistisinmysignaturecough*

... Although, it's more of a pile of random mods than a modpack. I honestly don't think anyone besides me would play ;)

When I build a modpack for private/semi-private use, I just throw everything that I like in. Themes aren't necessary for stuff like that.

CRKBOW

Jul 29, 2019
I was just checking out packs on the ATLauncher and I see Solidarity pack updated to 1.6.4 which has 175 mods but they are all optional (except for forge and such) when you install the pack and may be perfect for the OP to choose what they want and don't with the added benefit of a simple install. It even makes correct servers based on what you chose.