Looking for suggestions regarding a Rotarycraft setup.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Frized

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys. I've been tooling around with rotarycraft, which i'm in love with, and attempting to get an extractor automated. Right now, I am trying this with Magnetostatic engines powered by a rather large Bigreactors reactor. The problem is, I cannot get it to run in all 4 stages automatically. Here is the setup:

Magnetostatic Engine (Tier 2) -> 16x Diamond Gearbox -> Bevel gears -> Extractor
All of this is watered, lubed, and maintained by my ME network.

So I can use this setup, however I have to manually switch the gearbox for stage 2 and 3. I've done some testing on my test map and found that a Tier 5 Magnetostatic with Bedrock Gearbox would work, but I am not anywhere near that level of advancement (Just finally got my bedrock breaker working).

My question is, are there other, more efficient ways to automate the extractor? I have the infrastructure in place for lubricant and am working on getting jet fuel made so I can upgrade the magnetostatic engine, but I feel like there is probably a better way to do this. Also, I have a substantial amount of resources thanks to a QuarryPlus.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
CVT unit can be controlled with redstone and acts like a variable bedrock gearbox. It needs bedrock to make though.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I used 4 extractors(one for each stage), 4 gas turbines, 4 bedrock gearboxes and factorisation routers to automate my extractor setup.

Get to bedrock level and your options expand, there's no shortcuts I'm afraid.

Frized

Jul 29, 2019
Okay just got something working.

2 Extractors fed by 16x Diamond Gear Boxes and Tier 2 Magnetostatic Engines. Factorization Routers (thanks for the suggestion ScottulusMaximus) pull dust from the first extractor and solution from the second extractor.

Summary for anyone who cares.

Stage 1 and 4 - Extractor 1, 16x Diamond Gearbox (Set to Torque; lubricated), Tier 2 Magnetostatic Engine.
Stage 2 and 3 - Extractor 2, 16x Diamond Gearbox (Set to Speed; lubricated), Tier 2 Magnetostatic Engine.
  1. Iron Ore inserted to Extractor 1 via an AE Export Bus.
  2. Stage 1 - Turns Iron Ore into Iron Ore Dust in Extractor 1.
  3. Iron Ore Dust is extracted from Extractor 1 via a Factorization Router set to Extract from Slot 1.
  4. Iron Ore Dust inserted into Extractor 2 via an AE Export Bus.
  5. Stage 2 - Turns Iron Ore Dust into Iron Ore Slurry in Extractor 2.
  6. Stage 3 - Turns Iron Ore Slurry into Iron Ore Solution in Extractor 2.
  7. Iron Ore solution extracted from Extractor 2 via a Factorization Router set to Extract from Slot 3.
  8. Iron Ore Solution Inserted into Extractor 1 via an AE Export Bus.
  9. Stage 4 - Iron Ore Solution is turned into Iron Ore Flakes in Extractor 1
  10. Flakes go to IC2 Induction Furnaces for final processing.
It isn't the fastest or cheapest process, but seems to work well so far. Thanks again for the help and ideas.

666Lumberjack

Jul 29, 2019
There is also a way to do this using a multi-directional clutch. Run the Magnetostatic into it and split into two different shafts, one geared for speed and one geared for torque. Merge them back together using a shaft junction, feed that into the Extractor and alternate between the two using redstone.

Daneitoa

Jul 29, 2019
Look, I found out one of the best ways to run an Extractor. No, it's not instant, and no, it's not fully automatic, but it can turn about tens tacks of ore into countless flakes within less than five minutes. Keep in mind this is NOT cheap at all, and it is NOT fully automatic. You can probably set up a redstone clock, but if that is so, I highly advise against using a pulse redstone clock. In other words, if you really want to automate it, make sure you have a clock that can administer a continuous current of redstone power for one whole second, then have it shut off for a whole second, alternating equally. If it pulses, it will only go much much slower.

The version of the extractor which I had come up with took me hours to figure out. From using turbines, to hydrokinetics, to rows upon rows of magnetostatics, and finally, after those many horus, I found a small setup which is agreeably compact and doesn't require that much power to operate. However, it does requrie expensive blocks, like 16:1 bedrock gearboxes.

The setup uses these exact items:

4 redstone energy conduits
4 magnetostatic engines
4 16:1 bedrock gearboxes
4 CVT units
124 Belts (for the CVT units)
4 buckets of lubricant
4 shaft junctions or 3 shaft junctions
1 bevel gear or 2 bevels gears respectfully
1 aqueous accumulator or other source of water production
respective amount of liquiducts (cheaper to make the opaque version)
1 extractor
4 blocks of choice, 4 redstone dust, and 1 lever, OR a one second delay alternating redstone current

To set everything up, you set the magnetostatics down, the codnuits, power them, then set them to their max running ability (2048 rads/t). Lay down the bedrock gearboxes and switch them to Speed mode rather than Torque mode via shift right clicking them each once. Set downt he CVT units along those 4 gearboxes and fil them each with the lubricant, then make sure to fill them with the belts (31 belts each). Change the redstone functionality in the upper right hand corner. there will be tworatio changes now, of which the top should change how it will change the speed/torque of the input power when the CVT unit is given redstone power. Change that to x32 Speed, leave the second one at zero. Lay down shaft junctions along those 4 CVT units, connect them properly, and if you prefer to be a perfectionist, use a bevel gear at both ends and only three shaft junctions. Set up your extractor, hook it up to a constant water supply, then get out your choice of 4 blocks. Lay those blocks over the CVTs. Place 4 redstone dust on top of those blocks, place the lever on the side of the block closest to the extractor, and there you go.

When the lever is off, the extractor will work the first and last stages at high speed. When the lever is on, it works all of the middle stages at high speed. An entire stack of iron ore would go through the first stage in about five seconds. It is the same for the products going through each stage thereafter.

Drawbacks: It does get full easily, turning the input into a slow moving process, but the output provides an incredibly large amount as fast as it can (it's a rotarycraft extractor). It may be fast, but it's not instant. Most people want an instantly processing extractor, but that hasn't been seen since an earlier rotarycraft version. This is about as fast as you can get with so few materials. This is also expensive and takes time to build it. It requires a lot of bedrock dust for the bedrock gearboxes, those magnetostatics are tedious to make, and it requires a LOT of leather to make all the belts needed. It's also not completely automatic. you ahve to flip a switch manually for it to even finish processing the materials. Unless you set up a redsotne clock.

Pros: It's compact, it doesn't cost a lot to run it, and it's incredibly fast.

Last edited: