Looking for input on a small modpack

NeoShade

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys.

I'm new here in terms of posting anything, but I've been lurking around reading threads in silence for a little while.

I was hoping I might be able to get some suggestions from you guys. I'm currently in the process of building a small private modpack that I can play with my housemates, and I'm trying to make it not too ridiculously full of a whole bunch of tech and magic mods.

So far I'm taking it pretty slow, and making sure to do plenty of testing before adding too many new things, so I'm not very far into it at this stage. I've really only got the functional basics (NEI, Waila, Inventory Tweaks, Xaero's Minimap, Fast Leaf Decay), and a couple of must-have mods (Jabba and Tinkers' Construct) at this stage.

As you can imagine, the modpack in its current state is not very entertaining. Once you've progressed even a small amount in Tinkers' Construct, there's not a lot left to do that we haven't done thousands of times before in vanilla Minecraft.

So at this stage, I'm looking for a couple things:

Firstly, I've found that while TiCon allows you to make some pretty amazing tools and weapons, we're still stuck with the vanilla Minecraft armours. I was hoping somebody might be able to point me in the direction of a nice armour mod (or mod that contains some nice armour) that would complement TiCon well. My first thought was Modular Powersuits, but at the same time, I feel like they don't terrible well fit into the theme I'm trying to achieve. I'm happy for there to be some tech and magic in the pack, but Powersuits seems like I'd be pushing that limit a bit far.

Secondly, the pack needs something to strive towards. I'm not looking for a quest or something like that, but rather a mod that contains a fairly substantial end-game item to build. I just need something for players to work towards so that they don't just wind up mining vanilla resources for essentially no reason. I am planning on including Enhanced Portals 3, because that mod looks really cool. I hear it has a fairly steep power requirement, so it might be something that falls into that category.

Anyway, I'm welcome to any and all suggestions.

Thanks for reading. ;)

Hoffey11

Jul 29, 2019
What kind of end game item are you thinking? Because depending on what kind of item can determine the mod.

NeoShade

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that's just it. I'm not really sure what I want it to be. My goal for the modpack is to make something with plenty of stuff to explore and play around with, but without the pack becoming huge and full of too many mods that have similar functions.

AE2 is something I considered for the purpose, but I'm unsure if that's end-game-ish enough, or if you would consider that more middle-game. I guess the kind of thing I'm looking for is some great big project that a player can spend plenty of time working their way up to. So perhaps something that requires a lot of initial groundwork before you can even get started on building it?

Hoffey11

Jul 29, 2019
Well bees is always an option! There so much to do with bees and tree breeding that it can take quite awhile. Adding AE2 can also make it interesting adding automation to the whole process.

NeoShade

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, y'know, I hadn't even considered bees. They're one of those things that I've always seen in modpacks and thought "Eh, I'll get around to trying that out one day." but I just never have. I might have a look into that.

NeoShade

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I will.

What are your thaughts on something to complement Tinkers' Construct with armour?

Cloraxland

Jul 29, 2019
Also if you want Ticon armor, there is a Ticon addon for armor. Though I was adding it to my modpack and it has many bugs.