Looking for feedback on a mod idea

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
How would you code the pollution spread?
You would need to force update of every air block every x seconds, and id imagine keeping track of whats "indoors" and "outdoors" becomes quite difficult in large halls in mountains or lengthy unclosed caves.
That said, love the idea. And on the point of humans influencing pollution, imagine boiling water on a coal-powered oven indoors without a way to letting the smoke out. The pollution gets real quite fast ;)
or just don't keep the pollution data in the block data but in the chunk data

Reactions: Pyure

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
This seems like it would make for a neat HQM pack themed on a post-apocalyptic world, where everything starts polluted and you have to hide underground until you can purify the land. I feel like pollution reducing the brightness of sunlight in an area when at high levels would be cool, as it could block off using solar panels and eventually make mobs able to spawn at all times.

Reactions: Codraroll

Codraroll

Jul 29, 2019
This could also work well for Galacticraft or similar, where you have to have clean air in your spaceship/moon base if you want to live there for long.

Also, it'd certainly make Skyblocks more interesting.

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
Another twist could be more than your typical pollution. Think of Ender or redstone pollution. Moving items through Ender chests, Ender pumps, Ender quarries, Ender tanks creates pollution. Once it gets to thick, it makes movement erratic within space. The thicker it gets the further it can teleport and can include dimensions that are tied to those Ender devices.

Redstone and RF pollution could result in electrical storms and electrical charges disabling/enabling things by investing redstone signals.

Cleaners/scruvvers should not be hard to make but should require cleaning and expensive focused upgrades to clean specific items. It should produce a toxic sludge made up of what it is cleaning. While it is in a liquid form, it has to be neutralized by a complicated process along the lines of what was mentioned before me. There is a a chance that certain slimes can spawn from the sludge that is being cleaned. They cannot be killed and will die when the sludge has been converted to water and powder. The powder can be smelted into a random chance of producing a useful resource.

Reactions: Pyure

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
This topic has my gears going.

So I think early game, natural growth is good for combating pollution.

Void pipes and trash cans used throughout the map all go to a random spot in the Nether and pollute that Nether biome with air that randomly combust.

Scrubbers should require water to clean the air in order to produce the toxic sludge I mentioned previously. No RF or EU required. The toxic sludge cannot be stored in normal tanks. It must be stored in hardened or subsequent thermal expansion tanks or special railcraft tanks. These special railcraft tanks use invar and hardened glass mix instead of iron or steel.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Void pipes and trash cans used throughout the map all go to a random spot in the Nether and pollute that Nether biome with air that randomly combust.

Scrubbers should require water to clean the air in order to produce the toxic sludge I mentioned previously. No RF or EU required. The toxic sludge cannot be stored in normal tanks. It must be stored in hardened or subsequent thermal expansion tanks or special railcraft tanks. These special railcraft tanks use invar and hardened glass mix instead of iron or steel.
Your sludge would have to be some sort of non-liquid/non-item mechanic, otherwise you run into the same problem Reika did: there's a million ways to "void" unwanted materials (in his case: nuclear waste)

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019

Why invar? Steel would be stronger than it. Perhaps steel coated with something would work.

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
Why invar? Steel would be stronger than it. Perhaps steel coated with something would work.

I was making stuff up to increase the complexity. We could just make it 3 parts steel plus a nickel to make it stainless steel. That would probably be more appropriate. If you did use a regular tank, it would destroy the tank.

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
Your sludge would have to be some sort of non-liquid/non-item mechanic, otherwise you run into the same problem Reika did: there's a million ways to "void" unwanted materials (in his case: nuclear waste)
Not sure I follow.

The toxic sludge would just be a standard liquid that is created by the scrubbers by consuming water and pollution. The equipment to clean up the waste would require a pit lined with stone. It would fill it with dirt and place the sludge source blocks over it. Over a period of time the source blocks would slowly disappear and transform the dirt blocks into dried waste. You smelt the dried waste.

As for voiding materials via a void pipe or trashcan, it is as normal. However the amount of blocks being pumped in would be monitored and used to cause explosions in that Nether biome that was randomly selected.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not sure I follow.

The toxic sludge would just be a standard liquid that is created by the scrubbers by consuming water and pollution. The equipment to clean up the waste would require a pit lined with stone. It would fill it with dirt and place the sludge source blocks over it. Over a period of time the source blocks would slowly disappear and transform the dirt blocks into dried waste. You smelt the dried waste.
You might do all this. Since the sludge is a standard liquid, I would just pass it through a BC Void Pipe, and save myself the trouble.

As for voiding materials via a void pipe or trashcan, it is as normal. However the amount of blocks being pumped in would be monitored and used to cause explosions in that Nether biome that was randomly selected.
Monitored? By what?

I can't think of how you'd monitor the contents of "my" mod (say, buildcraft) and cause explosions based on specific liquids flowing through it. You might be able to convince some specific modders to provide you that functionality however.

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
You might do all this. Since the sludge is a standard liquid, I would just pass it through a BC Void Pipe, and save myself the trouble.

Monitored? By what?

I can't think of how you'd monitor the contents of "my" mod (say, buildcraft) and cause explosions based on specific liquids flowing through it. You might be able to convince some specific modders to provide you that functionality however.
I am not a modder, but could you just look for the removal of items from the world from a concentrated spot? For every 100 or 1000 items destroyed, something bad happens? An explosion in the Nether was just and idea. But it could something else.

stentninja

Jul 29, 2019
I am not a modder, but could you just look for the removal of items from the world from a concentrated spot? For every 100 or 1000 items destroyed, something bad happens? An explosion in the Nether was just and idea. But it could something else.

The guy who started this topic said a bunch of potion effects will be the bad side of to much pollution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobhalla

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds like a really fun thing to have to deal with like hunger overhaul or some of the other hardcore mods that add thirst or stuff like that. It would be really cool to play with

Come work for the CobbleCo

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds hard to code...
Anyways the pollution is something quite new, but don't add temperature. If I wanted temperature I would have used MineVeironment

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I might be easier to have layers of soot buildup on the ground [like snow] around the various generators/furnaces.
As long as the generator is running, it'll continue to build up and spread over an area- smothering plant life ect...
If its 'outside' (can see sky, above a certain Y level) it can be spread about by wind.
Thicker layers being tracked about by mobs?​

Reduced speed when walking over, poison/nausea when 'digging' it unless you wear a mask.
Thicker layers could cause problems as it 'stirred up' by mobs walking on it.
Converting soil blocks to 'contaminated land'
Water above contaminated land becomes contaminated water. (vertical column of water)
Lateral spread of contaminated land under water if the generator is still running?​
As for air/smog, if the generator could check for LoS to sky in an area around it [dungeon sized]- if gases can escape then no problem, otherwise something like gravel/TerraFirmaCraft cobble/dirt, but floats up.

MonkeyB

Jul 29, 2019
This seems too complex for me.

If anyone knows modding and can help, It'd really be appreciated.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Pollution may be hard to code in
Lol at your loose definition of the word "may". It would definitely be hard to code in :p

First, how difficult would this be to undertake?

Second, how annoying would this be to early game players, who often mine and live in caves?

Third, would anyone have fun trying to create systems to combat pollution, or would it just be like hunger, which becomes irrelevant by mid game?
As stated, pollution is a doable pain.

It'd be annoying, which could be used to your advantage in terms of forced progression :)

Yes.