Looking for exploration/challenging mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Hi all.

I'm busy building a 1.7.10 modpack for personal usage. I like a challenge so I'm trying to pick mods that make it harder for me (like Zombie Awareness and things like that). A lot of the mods that I already have are based on what is in the UHS modpack from ATLauncher but I'm looking to see if there are more interesting (perhaps less widely known) mods that are focused on either:

- Exploration (like adding challenging dungeons and interesting places/dimensions to visit).
- Challenge (can be more mobs, harder environment, smarter mobs, harder resource gathering, ...)

Any suggestions in this area are welcome. Thanks!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
well, if you're looking for a mod that has both Exploration and Challenge I immediatly think of Better Dungeons and Dungeonpack

Reactions: McJty

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Try AE2 those meteors are a exploration challenge.... Especially with 1 fps

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Try AE2 those meteors are a exploration challenge.... Especially with 1 fps

Ah, perhaps it is not exactly *that* kind of challenge that I'm looking for :)

Reactions: pc_assassin

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, perhaps it is not exactly *that* kind of challenge that I'm looking for :)

Eh worth a shot *goes back to trying to get his potato to play games right*

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Twilight Forest, the Erebus: additional dimensions to explore.
Dimensional Doors - pocket dimensions with puzzles.
Grimoire of Gaia - anime themed mobs added to overworld biomes to add a bit of variety.
Ruins - makes exploration a bit more interesting. Has some fun mini dungeons.
Chocolate quest (Better Dungeons) / Roguelike dungeons / Doomlike Dungeons / The gravestone mod - all add sprawling dungeon complexes.
Natura - extra hostile mobs to the nether.

Ookami5875

Jul 29, 2019
Infernal Mobs is always nice if you need more challenging mobs.
Hunger Overhaul and Spice of Life are a good combo to make the hunger system a bit more interesting and challenging. Add in Pam's Harvestcraft to get more variety.
Iguana Tweaks makes Tinkers Construct a little bit more difficult if you were thinking of adding that in.

Chris Becke has a couple of good ones that I would recommend as well. Natura and Twilight forest add in amazing exploration and some more, difficult mobs. The others that he recommended I haven't personally played with so I don't have an opinion on them.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I was already looking at several of those. Thanks of the suggestions. I have a question though. I know Hunger Overhaul works well with Pam's Harvestcraft but I can't find any information about compatibility between Hunger Overhaul and Growthcraft. Anyone knows?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
HO will work fine with GrowthCraft, it'll just treat all foods it doesn't know off with the same rule and reduce their benefits on the same scale (as per config).

Sounds like you'd potentially like my WIP Omega Dawn mod pack, it has reduced resources, various recipes made slightly more expensive or involved, many of the mods already mentioned above. My goal is to provide a longer gaming experience, so it's not a rush through all the mods, and then go "now what...", but without making it feel like a pointless grind or a hopeless survival experience.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/wip-modpack-omega-dawn.53021/
If you want, you can borrow some of the ideas for your tastes.

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
Twilight Forest, the Erebus: additional dimensions to explore.
Dimensional Doors - pocket dimensions with puzzles.
Grimoire of Gaia - anime themed mobs added to overworld biomes to add a bit of variety.
Ruins - makes exploration a bit more interesting. Has some fun mini dungeons.
Chocolate quest (Better Dungeons) / Roguelike dungeons / Doomlike Dungeons / The gravestone mod - all add sprawling dungeon complexes.
Natura - extra hostile mobs to the nether.
Is Dimensional Doors released for 1.7.10?

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
If you want challenge, add Lycanite's mobs and leave it at default settings. You'll never want to go near water again, and every 20 or so minutes you'll want to quickly bury yourself in a hole and wait until the event spawns clear out. I had to dial it down a bit after 50+ deaths.. :confused: Still a lot of fun, we learned the hard way wooden house + certain spawn event = BAD combo, and using lava as an offensive weapon WILL backfire on you.:p